border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Enclosure Creation Forums > General Enclosure Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-17-16, 11:37 PM   #16
Ian of Oldham

Re: DIY Boa Enclosure

Looking good

2 Royals 1 Corn 1 Boa and now a new rescue 1 Carpet O and a mad Cat
Old 07-21-16, 08:47 PM   #17
Killerflash

This is going to be awesome it looks great already.
0.1.0 nelsons milk snake
Old 07-24-16, 03:00 PM   #18
dannybgoode

Cracking job. I'd love to have the patience to have a go at something like that instead of buying.

Looking forward to more updates.
0.1 B imperator, 1.0 M spilota harrisoni, 1.0 C hortulanus, 2.1 P reticulatus (Madu locality), 1.1 S amethystine, 1.1 L olivaceous, 1.0 C angulifer, 1.0 Z persicus, 0.1 P regius, 0.1 N natrix, 0.1 E climacophora, 1.0 P obsoletus, 0.1 L geluta nigrtia, 1.0 P catenifer sayi, 1.0 T lepidus
Old 07-24-16, 06:03 PM   #19
Pogie

Very nice!!! Now I want to know how you guys can build something nice and square and even??? I always think to myself..I could do that! I've tried and I have failed rotfl. Much harder than one thinks. Everything I try to build, well lets say it isn't squared up when I am done with it Great job!
Old 07-24-16, 07:38 PM   #20
pet_snake_78

Pogie: If you don't have square cuts you'll be trying to make all kinds of adjustments to make things work, it may still work but it will never be quite right. If you're freehanding a circular saw, you may want to try a guide system or clamp something as a straightedge and measure to make sure both ends are the exact distance from the edge. Of course, try to start with something not warped too.
Login to remove ads
Old 07-24-16, 08:39 PM   #21
Wykyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogie View Post
Very nice!!! Now I want to know how you guys can build something nice and square and even??? I always think to myself..I could do that! I've tried and I have failed rotfl. Much harder than one thinks. Everything I try to build, well lets say it isn't squared up when I am done with it Great job!
I prefer to make cuts with a chop saw, every cut will always be the same. Obviously make sure your cuts are square and the wood is straight, bows can be fixed, twisted wood is useless. When I'm using sheets (plywood or panels) I like to leave 2 factory edges, it helps a lot to square things up, especially frames that might be a little tweaked. When selecting your wood, be very particular. Look at the edges, the grain, look for damage, knots causing weak points. When selecting structural wood (2x2, 2x4, etc.) make sure the board does not include any part of the center of the tree. When you put things together, make sure the crown is always up.

The heat wave has delayed the project and since it seems like it's not going to let up I'm probably going to just do it inside. I brought it inside Friday so I'll probably just set it up in my basement and finish it off. I'm on coat 4 of paint outside, coat 2 of sealer inside. I'll have some pictures of it up once I get the last coats on. Foam starting really soon!

Last edited by Wykyd; 07-24-16 at 08:47 PM..
Old 07-26-16, 04:21 AM   #22
Wykyd

My wife vetoed the "just bring it inside" idea, so it looks like the project is on hold for now. Will update as soon as things change.
Old 07-27-16, 04:14 AM   #23
Wykyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wykyd View Post
My wife vetoed the "just bring it inside" idea, so it looks like the project is on hold for now. Will update as soon as things change.
I talked her into letting me finish sealing the inside and doing the foam work. the last coats of paint on the outside will wait til it cools down, but I will be able to continue working on it at least.
Old 08-02-16, 03:48 PM   #24
Wykyd

I've been uber busy at work and haven't made any progress. I have however had the time to redo my design on the front and am going to do sliding panels instead of a hinged access. The thought of dropping the door into the stand or the enclosure below was plenty reason to redesign.
Old 08-10-16, 01:40 PM   #25
Wykyd

I'm sorry guys, another crappy update. Our vehicle (only one) took a crap a few weeks ago, part I just had replaced (lower planetary gear in the trans) and the mechanic refused to honor his warranty. I'm currently in the process of buying a new truck and trading that one in towards it. Unfortunately that is requiring all the attention of my current funds. I'm hoping to pick the project up again in a few weeks. Til then, I apologize for the delay, but cannot wait to get started again. Hang in there folks.

Old 08-14-16, 07:26 PM   #26
valkea

Love this thread! Thank you for posting the pics and thoughts as you go. I'm going to be attempting to build an enclosure for my carpet python when she gets a bit bigger. If it looks half as good as yours I'll be pleased!

Excellent work.
Old 09-12-16, 09:21 PM   #27
JellyBean

Looking good so far!

Life does tend to get in the way of our projects sometimes, doesn't it?
Old 09-13-16, 05:42 PM   #28
macandchz

you are really making great progress!
Old 09-13-16, 06:34 PM   #29
sattva

Now when you get your truck ordeal down and you finish your cage... You can fly out here to California to build mine... I'll start working on my wife, to let me bring them inside... HaHa
Leon- 1.0 Lemon Ball, aka Russo Het White Diamond Ball Python... Crystal's boyfriend...
Old 02-26-17, 07:31 PM   #30
Eric & Ethan

How did the enclosure turn out ?
What was your final cost ?
Would love to see a picture of the finished product.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread