sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum (https://www.ssnakess.com/forums/index.php)
-   Aquatic forum (https://www.ssnakess.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   help me pick some tetras (https://www.ssnakess.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111169)

Salty Rob 12-16-15 02:07 AM

help me pick some tetras

3 Attachment(s)
I really want some new tetras to put in my tank. I'm currently wanting some bleeding heart tetras, some ember tetras, or some flame tetras. Pics provided by Bing.com and are in order. What I'm asking is help me decide which one to get. I'll have to get five or more as they are schooling fish.

trailblazer295 12-16-15 07:43 AM

Re: help me pick some tetras

How big is the tank? How light/dark? Flames tend to be quite dark when fully red and might not be as nice visually. Also stay small so need a bigger school in a larger tank. You could also look at bloodfin tetras.

Tiny Boidae 12-16-15 08:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I used to have a tank full of tetras. My favorite were the red minor serpae tetras I had. Very placid animals, beautiful, schooled nicely. I also had two other schools of rummy nosed and neon tetras, both of which I despised. Much more skittish and I'd find them occasionally on my floor, dry as a bone if I were to ever forget to replace the lid for an extended period of time.

It'd also help to know what other animals/plants you have in the tank. Some are just too fragile to go with anything that might be pushy/aggressive. Or some might appreciate a lot of plants more than others.

I haven't worked with any of the species you've suggested, as unfortunate as it is, although I'd place a nickel down for serpae tetras. They look kinda similar to bleeding heart except with longer, flowy fins. I assure you, though, they're two different species.

Salty Rob 12-17-15 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trailblazer295 (Post 981398)
How big is the tank? How light/dark? Flames tend to be quite dark when fully red and might not be as nice visually. Also stay small so need a bigger school in a larger tank. You could also look at bloodfin tetras.

Tank is a 55 long. I currently have a thread going in the aquatic section with pics. I currently have five red eye tetras, a small pleco, an albino Cory catfish, and a black kuhli loache.

Salty Rob 12-17-15 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiny Boidae (Post 981400)
I used to have a tank full of tetras. My favorite were the red minor serpae tetras I had. Very placid animals, beautiful, schooled nicely. I also had two other schools of rummy nosed and neon tetras, both of which I despised. Much more skittish and I'd find them occasionally on my floor, dry as a bone if I were to ever forget to replace the lid for an extended period of time.

It'd also help to know what other animals/plants you have in the tank. Some are just too fragile to go with anything that might be pushy/aggressive. Or some might appreciate a lot of plants more than others.

I haven't worked with any of the species you've suggested, as unfortunate as it is, although I'd place a nickel down for serpae tetras. They look kinda similar to bleeding heart except with longer, flowy fins. I assure you, though, they're two different species.

Thanks for the info. 😀

Pogie 12-18-15 05:34 AM

Oh my favorite tetra are the Congo tetras, I had a school of them in my tank. Very nice peaceful fish and pretty! Yes you can see their teeth, but they never bothered anything I had in with them.
Once they get some size on them they are stunning!

Tiny Boidae 12-18-15 07:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pogie (Post 981589)
Oh my favorite tetra are the Congo tetras, I had a school of them in my tank. Very nice peaceful fish and pretty! Yes you can see their teeth, but they never bothered anything I had in with them.
Once they get some size on them they are stunning!

If you wanna see a tetra with teeth, try the wolf tetra on for size. Not suggesting them, as these guys need a tank to themselves. They're still cool cats regardless.

Salty Rob 12-19-15 01:56 AM

Dang that's awesome

dannybgoode 12-22-15 12:00 PM

For tetras I don't think you cab beat a school of 9+ black phantoms. The more the better.

Beautiful colours and when they flair at each other they look spectacular...

Salty Rob 12-22-15 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dannybgoode (Post 982052)
For tetras I don't think you cab beat a school of 9+ black phantoms. The more the better.

Beautiful colours and when they flair at each other they look spectacular...

Thanks. I haven't yet gotten any. I've had red eye tetras for awhile. Just looking to get them some friends

Minkness 12-22-15 05:01 PM

I like rummy nose. They are neat.

Salty Rob 12-23-15 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minkness (Post 982095)
I like rummy nose. They are neat.

Nice. I think I might get some of these

Zincubus 12-23-15 10:57 PM

It depends what colours you need \ like \ fancy ..
Another shout for Black Black Phantoms which are really Black Serpea apparently.

Also Empora \ Emperor Tetras and of course the amazing Neon Tetras .

Silver Tetras are spectacular as well but don't seem too hardy , sadly

Also Scissortails and Ghost Glass catfish. !!!!!

dannybgoode 12-24-15 01:16 AM

If you're after something a bit larger, Colombian tetras (also sometimes called red tailed tetras or jewel tetras) are very nice.

Brilliant silver body and bright red tail and get to 1.5-2" possibly a bit bigger with deep bodies. 5+ (9+ even better) look awesome. Shoal well and peaceful fish.

Salty Rob 12-24-15 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dannybgoode (Post 982251)
If you're after something a bit larger, Colombian tetras (also sometimes called red tailed tetras or jewel tetras) are very nice.

Brilliant silver body and bright red tail and get to 1.5-2" possibly a bit bigger with deep bodies. 5+ (9+ even better) look awesome. Shoal well and peaceful fish.

No I'm looking for smaller. Would like a few colorful but not all. I have a 55 long and looking to put something in it. I currently have 5 red eye tetras, a Cory catfish, a baby pleco, a white crayfish, and a black loach.