border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Colubrid Forums > General Colubrid Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-24-15, 01:17 PM   #16
prairiepanda

Re: Colubrid Hybrids

When it comes to colubrid hybrids, king x milk crosses seem to be good looking way more often than any other hybrid. And they can get some really funky patterns going. Adding corns to the mix usually just makes odd-looking corns. You get more colour variation with king/milk crosses than with corn crosses too; probably because kings and milks are more closely related genetically and have more compatible morph genes.
0.1 tangerine albino honduran milksnake /// 0.1 snow southern pinesnake /// 0.1 black pinesnake /// 1.0 "hypo" north Mexican pinesnake (jani) /// 1.0 cincuate pinesnake (lineaticollis) /// 1.1 red striped gargoyle geckos /// 0.1 kitty cat /// 2.6.12 tarantulas(assorted species)
Old 07-24-15, 01:29 PM   #17
DDW

I didn't think of that before but it makes complete sense they get some really nice patterns
Old 07-24-15, 01:44 PM   #18
SSSSnakes

Here is a Jungle Corn that was a rescue. When I received it, it was blind. Don't know if it had anything to do with it being a hybrid.

Old 07-24-15, 01:49 PM   #19
DDW

It's great to see rescues going to good homes. Especially animals that are not commonly accepted
Old 07-24-15, 02:38 PM   #20
prairiepanda

No king, milk, or corn blood in this one, but I like it a lot:

It's a Pituophis catenifer sayi x Pituophis deppei jani (bull snake X north Mexican pine snake). Not my photo. But it's another example of how nice hybrids between two very closely related species can turn out. It's interesting to see how the markings were affected by the different influences from each parent.
0.1 tangerine albino honduran milksnake /// 0.1 snow southern pinesnake /// 0.1 black pinesnake /// 1.0 "hypo" north Mexican pinesnake (jani) /// 1.0 cincuate pinesnake (lineaticollis) /// 1.1 red striped gargoyle geckos /// 0.1 kitty cat /// 2.6.12 tarantulas(assorted species)
Login to remove ads
Old 07-24-15, 11:39 PM   #21
toddnbecka

IMO hybrids are fine if that's what you like, my personal fave is the Borneo bateater, but I have no plans to keep one myself. Too many snakes already on my wish list, have to draw the line somewhere... lol.
7.6.26 Dominican red mountain boas, 1.1 carpet pythons, 3 ATB, 1.1 climacophora, 1.1 Russian rats, 1.1 prasina, 1.1 speckled kings, 3.3.1 corns, 1.1.1 black rats, 1.1 savu, 1.1 Stimson's, 1 spotted python, 1.1 Boiga nigriceps, 3 Olive house snakes, 1 Sonoran mountain king, 0.1 Sinoloan milk snake, 1.1 Dione rat snake.
Old 07-25-15, 07:57 AM   #22
DDW

prairiepanda that is pretty
Old 07-25-15, 08:24 AM   #23
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

It's tough to answer some questions only because there's quite a few hybrids.

Also, some do occur naturally and those are called intergrades.

Hybrids are pretty. I only refuse to deal eith them on the "bloodlines" argument.

One thing we don't know is the long term affects of some hybrids. If it shortens life expectancy or anything else since no one does actual medical tests on these animals.
Old 07-25-15, 12:52 PM   #24
RAD House

I my opinion the bloodlines argument is ridiculous expect for in very specific cases. There is a reasonable amount of risk of escape in any snake keeping situation. Whether it be from negligence, faulty material, or other unseen factors like tiny prying hands. By bringing in a non native animal you are running the risk of harming the native populations. This can be further applied all the way down to specific locales. This is the only reason there is a need to keep "pure bloodlines", otherwise it is a entirely selfish venture. Unless you are keeping a local population and only breeding them to other local animals with the intension of maybe one day releasing back into the wild to save a disappearing animal, then pure bloodlines are a matter of preference.
Old 07-25-15, 12:58 PM   #25
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by MesoCorney View Post
I my opinion the bloodlines argument is ridiculous expect for in very specific cases. There is a reasonable amount of risk of escape in any snake keeping situation. Whether it be from negligence, faulty material, or other unseen factors like tiny prying hands. By bringing in a non native animal you are running the risk of harming the native populations. This can be further applied all the way down to specific locales. This is the only reason there is a need to keep "pure bloodlines", otherwise it is a entirely selfish venture. Unless you are keeping a local population and only breeding them to other local animals with the intension of maybe one day releasing back into the wild to save a disappearing animal, then pure bloodlines are a matter of preference.
And that's why I said it's ny personal reason.

It is my preference to work with as pure as possible. Unfortunately I can't trust most people so unless I can trace the heritage back to the importation then I presume it's unpure.
Login to remove ads
Old 07-25-15, 07:15 PM   #26
eminart

I'm not a fan. But, to each, his own, I guess. As long as people who have them are VERY careful about not mixing up the gene pool and not keeping track of what is happening.

In my opinion, there are just too many gorgeous, naturally occuring snakes out there to worry about weird hybrids. But, that's just me. I don't even like a lot of the morphs of non-hybrids.
“...the old ones ... knew in their bones... that death exists, that all life kills to eat, that all lives end, that energy goes on. They knew that humans are participants, not spectators.” -- Stephen Bodio, On the Edge of the Wild
Old 07-25-15, 07:50 PM   #27
SnoopySnake

Quote:
Originally Posted by eminart View Post
I'm not a fan. But, to each, his own, I guess. As long as people who have them are VERY careful about not mixing up the gene pool and not keeping track of what is happening.

In my opinion, there are just too many gorgeous, naturally occurring snakes out there to worry about weird hybrids. But, that's just me. I don't even like a lot of the morphs of non-hybrids.
Agreed. There are a few hybrids I like, but they aren't produced enough to find one and I won't produce them myself since there's no guarantee that people won't resell them as pure.
Old 07-25-15, 09:03 PM   #28
TxScarlet15

My king Scarlet Rose is a hybrid, most likely Gray-banded to another king (most popular opinion from fellow forum members as well as a local herp guy I recently met). I'm continually amazed at her awesome personality and I love fawning at her beautiful pattern. Would I ever breed her? Heck no. I wouldn't want to even if I did know what she is. Although she is an incredible snake I don't encourage breeding, especially hybrids, unless the breeder seriously knows their stuff. And in general, although hybrids can make great crosses, I think it's unhealthy for species as a whole (being that it takes away the allure of purebred species) and, when done, should be done conservatively. This is just my own personal opinion and I apologize if anything came out weird, it's late and I need to go to bed . However, all that said if someone were to offer me another hybrid similar to Scarlet I would most likely be hard pressed to say no . And a picture just because no good post is complete without one! (Although I wish I had a new pic to use....)
IMG_1013.jpg
Old 07-26-15, 06:54 AM   #29
DDW

I agree, there are some really nice hybrids but a lot more nice pure. I dont disapprove of hybrids as long as people would just be honest IMO. If it came down to it, I might buy a hybrid but only if I really like it, and I don't breed anything (well I might breed horses but that is for keeping as pets and off topic) I mean, I wouldn't breed anything the would have too many offspring for me to realisticly care for(no more than 2 or 3 babies)and I'd rather collect different kinds of snakes rather than breed things I already have. (Like I have a ball python, so I want to go for a boa, colubrid, or gecko next)
Closed Thread