border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-05-16, 04:44 PM   #1
DDW

Egg Identification?

I haven't been here for a while so, hi all! Hope everything is going well. However, that is not what this is about. My mother found a nest in my grandmother's flower bed.

She had begun digging and disturbed it by accident and naturally called me to identify them. They are(to my best knowledge) snake eggs.

After making sure that no snakes where still in the area, I investigated. They do seem a bit old but they are still pliable. I can't tell just how old but figured it hasn't been too long. I was hoping that you could help me out.

I am in northern Louisiana(to help with accurate Identification if possible) any help would be very helpful. I told my mom that as far as I know, it is not a venomous species to worry about. I was thinking some colubrid but hopefully you all could assist^.=.^

Thank you all for the help

Last edited by DDW; 03-05-16 at 04:50 PM..
Login to remove ads
Old 03-05-16, 04:50 PM   #2
DDW

Re: Egg Identification?

Also, we have had a relatively warm short winter only reaching freezing a couple of times if that makes anything easier or change:/
Old 03-05-16, 05:21 PM   #3
DDW

Also, there were at least 9 eggs.
Old 03-05-16, 06:38 PM   #4
FWK

They are Racer eggs, the rough texture is diagnostic. Northern Louisiana is Buttermilk Racer territory (Coluber constrictor anthicus). They probably hatched late in the summer last year. The only medically significant venomous egg-laying snakes in North America are Corals, their eggs are smooth.
Old 03-05-16, 06:55 PM   #5
DDW

Just did a little research on them, and man are they pretty and little! Thanks a bunch, I forgot we had racers here.

On another note, these guys could be the reason the flower bed next to my house has been occasionally smelling like musk right? (my grandmother's house is right across the road from mine)
Login to remove ads
Old 03-05-16, 07:04 PM   #6
FWK

Not likely, the only time a snake musks is as a defensive measure. There is an old wives tale about Cottonmouths smelling like cucumbers, but it is nonsense.
Old 03-05-16, 07:08 PM   #7
DDW

Okay^.=.^ thanks for the help, my mom is super paranoid about snakes especially since there have been snakes in the same area before 0_0
Old 03-05-16, 10:47 PM   #8
toddnbecka

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWK View Post
Not likely, the only time a snake musks is as a defensive measure. There is an old wives tale about Cottonmouths smelling like cucumbers, but it is nonsense.
I always heard it was copperheads that smelled like cucumbers. I've only ever run across one, and it was along the edge of a small stream, but I didn't notice any smell. Always wondered exactly whcih part of the cucumber they were supposed to smell like anyway, the sliced veggie or the flowers on the vine?
7.6.26 Dominican red mountain boas, 1.1 carpet pythons, 3 ATB, 1.1 climacophora, 1.1 Russian rats, 1.1 prasina, 1.1 speckled kings, 3.3.1 corns, 1.1.1 black rats, 1.1 savu, 1.1 Stimson's, 1 spotted python, 1.1 Boiga nigriceps, 3 Olive house snakes, 1 Sonoran mountain king, 0.1 Sinoloan milk snake, 1.1 Dione rat snake.
Old 03-06-16, 10:15 AM   #9
FWK

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddnbecka View Post
I always heard it was copperheads that smelled like cucumbers. I've only ever run across one, and it was along the edge of a small stream, but I didn't notice any smell. Always wondered exactly whcih part of the cucumber they were supposed to smell like anyway, the sliced veggie or the flowers on the vine?
Lol, I don't know. Both Copperheads and Cottonmouths will musk if handled, but it smells nothing like cucumbers. I do not understand where the myth came from. But there are many myths about snakes that make no sense.