border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Boa Forums > Boa Constrictor

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-25-20, 01:20 PM   #1
Ethan Ssssmith

Newcomer and question

Hello everyone I'm new to this forum my name is Ethan. I have a ball python, corn snake, and a new baby hypo BCI that I've only had for about a week. I know that baby boas can be defensive as baby's and my definitely is and I wondering what is the best way to tame it down without getting bit or should I stop being a crybaby and get it over with. By the way I've never gotten bit before. Thanks for any tips.
Login to remove ads
Old 07-26-20, 05:47 PM   #2
Pythonguy1

Re: Newcomer and question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Ssssmith View Post
Hello everyone I'm new to this forum my name is Ethan. I have a ball python, corn snake, and a new baby hypo BCI that I've only had for about a week. I know that baby boas can be defensive as baby's and my definitely is and I wondering what is the best way to tame it down without getting bit or should I stop being a crybaby and get it over with. By the way I've never gotten bit before. Thanks for any tips.
Not sure about baby boas but whenever I get a snappy juevanile I just get it used to handling so that it feels safe when its in my hands. I've heard some people say that handling the snake will not calm it down but its worked for my snakes. Of course thats just my opinion.
Old 07-26-20, 06:50 PM   #3
ClockwerkBonnet

In addition to what PG said, it's just as important to make sure the snake has eaten on a regular basis before you start handling it. Once you have started the sessions, make sure they don't last too long.
Old 07-26-20, 07:00 PM   #4
Pythonguy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClockwerkBonnet View Post
In addition to what PG said, it's just as important to make sure the snake has eaten on a regular basis before you start handling it. Once you have started the sessions, make sure they don't last too long.
Well said my friend
Old 07-26-20, 09:09 PM   #5
chairman

Once your snake has taken multiple consecutive meals...

I generally acclimate my snakes to handling by making sure that interactions start off slow and do not end poorly for the snake. For example, I acquired a new snake at the end of April this year. The snake is a hatchling colubrid and has taken food every 5 days like clockwork. I started handling sessions last week. At that point the snake only knew me as the thing that offered food on tongs, changed water, and spot cleaned. It is a prey item but the large possible predator it has been observing for weeks has not attempted to hunt it. For my first couple sessions I just present my hand in the cage and allow the snake to sniff me out, crawl on me if it wishes to. As the snake got more comfortable with me I gently scooped it from underneath with an open hand and held it for about a minute before letting it return to its cage. Eventually the snake will get used to being picked up and handled by me. Or not. If I can get the snake to calmly watch me while I clean the cage (instead of striking at me defensively) I call it a win.

That said, the slow approach has worked for me with every snake I've owned except for a Texas ratsnake. It occasionally tolerated handling but would frequently turn around and bite me to remind me it could, I suppose.
Login to remove ads
Old 07-27-20, 07:32 PM   #6
Igotsmallballs

I have a hypo jungle bci. He squared up once with me. It’s was when we first got him home. I took the lid of the enclosure. I simply set down beside him. Waited til he started to climb outside the cage. Then picked him up from behind. Let him go the direction he wanted to go. Without him actually going anywhere. Never had a problem since. Normally I try to catch him out of his hide. If I take his hide off to get him. I give him a little touch on his back to let him know I’m there. Then cofindently pick him up quick. He did hiss once. Then I realized he was in shed and put him back.

Like stated. Limit handling time then build up. I was blown away by how quick mine adapted to handling compared to my bp’s. There very smart and docile once out. They love to explore. I take little man out for a good hour at times. He loves his 6’4” walking tree. We go s’plorin through the house as I let him slither off of me here and there to s’plore new smells and area to climb around. Under close supervision of course. Every now and then he will tail lock his favorite wire rack and throw out a little hiss because he wants to play longer. But he’s easy coax down. I just relax and wait for him to loosen up.

He is going on 3 months now. I’ve recently decided to back his feeding off from 7 to 10days, because of there slow metabolisms. That and after he eats he’s a ghost for 72 hours. Then starts to come back out ready for more s’plorin! He is by far my favorite snake! With my hognose coming in second. I enjoy them all though.
Old 07-28-20, 06:48 AM   #7
craigafrechette

I've actually had better luck with longer handling sessions.

Think of it this way...

What's causing the snake stress when you go into the enclosure??? Yup, you. You are basically a giant predator and your snake hasn't learned to trust you yet.

Now, once the snake has had a chance to observe your hand and sniff you out a bit go ahead and pick him up. This will likely cause an additional round of stress...

Here's where I believe longer sessions are more beneficial.... If you pick the snake up, handle for a minute, or two, or even ten.... The snake never has a chance to get passed being stressed. So now you've stressed the animal, just to put a stressed animal back. Doesn't make sense. Your only interaction with the animal was stress. So now, all the snake knows of you is you're a source of stress.

If you handle for 20+ minutes the snake should have had plenty of time to relax, realize you're not going to eat him, and explore new surroundings. Then, you put the snake back on a positive note. End it by gently placing the snake back in the enclosure and leave your hand in so the snake can realize it's still you and you're still not a threat.

I've used this technique for my (now adult) Borneo STP as well as my yearling Carpet Python and Bredli Python. All three handle extremely well, although the Carpet is still a bit skittish til he's out of his enclosure.

I find when it comes to working with animals it's important to think like the animal.
R.I.P. Django
Old 07-28-20, 04:52 PM   #8
Pythonguy1

My stimson python's been handled from birth. Now all I have to do is open the cage door and comes out and onto my hands.
Closed Thread