View Single Post
Old 01-05-20, 08:58 PM   #7
Angel619392

Re: Building a new custom enclosure for our red-tailed boss.

I know you said pvc or birch plywood. I work at a lumber yard so I can say this about birch and how it relates to reptile cages. First its a hardwood so its dense which is good for rigidity and also its easier to stain which means that the sealant to waterproof your cage will be more efficient since you wont have to keep putting excessive coats for it to apply.

Now to the PVC topic. I know you said pvc but I suggest HDPE plastic because its superior in every way compared to foam board pvc(XPVC/ Expanded pvc) literally I mean that. One way is it can tolerate 248 degree heat which means that warping issue your worried about wont be a worry.
Only con is that its more expensive which is a problem I am trying to solve by being able to make these cages and see how receptive people are towards them, Id start locally and even make a build guide for everyone to see the cage. But yeah id go with HDPE if I were you. The cage is sure to last you for a very long time, how long? I dont know but I know that when I build one I will put it to its limits (: