border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-07-15, 07:02 AM   #1
DDW

Morph/species related illness?

I was just having a conversation with my mom about breeding for particular looks in animals having a part in some of their diseases, illnesses, arthritis and such (like hip dysplasia in some larger dogs ect. which is why my mom likes mutts) is there anything like this with reptiles? Things that happen because humans breed the herps to get them look a certain way, like the scale-less snakes or bearded dragons. Or albinos. These animal typically wouldn't make it in the wild because a natural barrier or camouflage has been taken away (which I am cool with as long as they are kept in captivity) but is there anything associated with these conditions in captivity (like more likely to have cancer ect.) Or is it still too early to say?

I'm just curious and I'm greatful for any replies ^.=.^
Login to remove ads
Old 06-07-15, 07:16 AM   #2
SSSSnakes

Re: Morph/species related illness?

Head wobble in Spider Balls.
Old 06-07-15, 07:19 AM   #3
DDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSSnakes View Post
Head wobble in Spider Balls.
Hmm, I think I've heard of this once. Does it effect the health or does it just make it a bit more clumsy than a regular bp?
Old 06-07-15, 07:21 AM   #4
SSSSnakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDW View Post
Hmm, I think I've heard of this once. Does it effect the health or does it just make it a bit more clumsy than a regular bp?
It depends on how severe it is. It can cause the snake to not be able to eat on it's own.
Old 06-07-15, 07:32 AM   #5
DDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSSnakes View Post
It depends on how severe it is. It can cause the snake to not be able to eat on it's own.
Wow, sounds like some kind of brain damage.
Login to remove ads
Old 06-07-15, 07:40 AM   #6
Sylphie

And stargazer in corn snakes.
Old 06-07-15, 07:41 AM   #7
DDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylphie View Post
And stargazer in corn snakes.
I didn't know this was corn snake specific. The thought that had to do with injuries in the spine and compromised nervous systems. Hmm. Interesting.
Old 06-07-15, 07:47 AM   #8
Sylphie

DDW, I'm not 100% sure if this is only in corn snakes, I'm talking about that "Stargazer is a gene that causes the animal to appear to be star gazing. Stargazing is a deviation in the bodys balance, as a result of which the animals makes uncontrolled movements. It is made worse in stressful situations." (copied from iansvivarium.com) It's rather neurological, not from injures.
Old 06-07-15, 08:00 AM   #9
DDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylphie View Post
DDW, I'm not 100% sure if this is only in corn snakes, I'm talking about that "Stargazer is a gene that causes the animal to appear to be star gazing. Stargazing is a deviation in the bodys balance, as a result of which the animals makes uncontrolled movements. It is made worse in stressful situations." (copied from iansvivarium.com) It's rather neurological, not from injures.
Okay, I just read this: Star-Gazing: A Sign, Not a Disease. this seems similar, though this says nothing about genes, but this is interestong. I understand that it has to do with a compromised nervous system overall right?
(Just read the article that you just took the quote from , I understand^.=.^)
Old 06-07-15, 08:23 AM   #10
Minkness
Forum Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to Minkness

Stargazing can happen in almost any kind of animal. For instance, it happens in enigma morph leos.

Wobble head does have different levels of severity however. My lesserbee has a super mildwobble when he gets upset, excited, or tries too hard to focus on something. This has not caused him any bit of clumsiness that I have noticed and he eats like a champ (when he eats...) the strangest thing is does is turn his head upside down when investigating something new. He is also pretty headshy, though not sure if that'shim being a BP or having a wobble.

Hope this helps!

I stopped counting at 30....
Login to remove ads
Old 06-07-15, 08:44 AM   #11
DDW

Thanks Mink for explaining
Old 06-07-15, 03:00 PM   #12
Albert Clark

Some of the supers in bp's are prone to severe birth defects as well. Like the super cinnys who have duckbilling and spinal kinks. The super lesser and super butters who get bug eyes. I know the combo of a spider to a champagne is lethal. Either the eggs dont hatch and or the hatchlings that do emerge from the egg don't survive. Sad.
Old 06-07-15, 03:12 PM   #13
lady_bug87
Forum Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to lady_bug87

Bearded dragons are so inbred that a lot of them die waay earlier than they should.
Old 06-07-15, 04:25 PM   #14
DDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Clark View Post
Some of the supers in bp's are prone to severe birth defects as well. Like the super cinnys who have duckbilling and spinal kinks. The super lesser and super butters who get bug eyes. I know the combo of a spider to a champagne is lethal. Either the eggs dont hatch and or the hatchlings that do emerge from the egg don't survive. Sad.
Wow... Very sad, seems like the more recessive genes are brought out to get "cool" looking animals, the bad stuff is enhanced, very similar to the effects of inbreeding in other animals it seems. Makes the gene pool so shallow :/ There is a reason some traits are recessive. (Btw, what is duckbilling?)
Old 06-07-15, 05:08 PM   #15
DDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady_bug87 View Post
Bearded dragons are so inbred that a lot of them die waay earlier than they should.
Makes sense, bearded dragons are so popular, everyone wants one, so irresponsible breeders breed them so much, it ends up being like a puppy mill. So instead of getting a quality animal, you get an animal with compromised health of some sort.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread