border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > General Information Forums > Field Herping

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-06-17, 08:49 AM   #1
eminart

Eminart's 2017 Herping Adventures

I went out herping for the first time this year yesterday. I've been sick for a week, and I thought I was better (more on that later), so I grabbed my camera and headed to a couple of my local spots.

I live in a fairly large city, but I have a secret spot in the middle of it where I find a fair amount of snakes. It's a quick and easy spot, so I pulled in there first and hopped out. Temps were around 60, and the sun was peaking out from partly cloudy skies. Not ideal, but I was optimistic. The first sheet of tin I flipped had two eastern garter snakes. Great way to start the year, and really got me hopeful for the day. But, of the other 20 or so cover items I flipped, I only found one more garter. But, still, 3 snakes in cool temps in early march - I wasn't complaining.

Garter 3 by Scott Wright, on Flickr

Garter 2 by Scott Wright, on Flickr

Garter 1 by Scott Wright, on Flickr

After walking around this very flat, and easy area, I was sweating and light-headed. Maybe I wasn't quite as "well" as I thought. But, in true Me form, I jumped in my truck and headed to the mountain where I was going to look for timber rattlers. By the time I got there, the sun had disappeared behind clouds and I wasn't feeling at all optimistic about finding Mr. C. horridus. But, I was eager to explore an area I'd investigated via google maps. So, off I went. The area did indeed look promising, but, as I'd feared, no snakes in sight. Not even a lizard on the rocks. I think it was just too cool in conjunction with no sun to bask in. Due to how weak I was, I spent a lot of time sitting. I'd walk 5 minutes, then sit on a rock and look around me. I did that for a couple of hours, and went home exhausted and well aware that I wasn't over my illness. I didn't find any timbers, but I'm eager to go back to that spot when the weather is a little better. All in all, a nice start to the year, I think.

Hopefully more trips and photos soon.
“...the old ones ... knew in their bones... that death exists, that all life kills to eat, that all lives end, that energy goes on. They knew that humans are participants, not spectators.” -- Stephen Bodio, On the Edge of the Wild
Login to remove ads
Old 03-06-17, 11:12 AM   #2
whistlepig

Re: Eminart's 2017 Herping Adventures

Great pictures. Not sure why, but I love pictures of snakes periscoping.
Old 03-06-17, 01:52 PM   #3
Pareeeee
Forum Moderator

Beautiful pics! So jealous - we still have some snow on the ground here. No herping for me!
Instagram: pareeeee17
Old 03-12-17, 06:28 PM   #4
eminart

Thanks, guys!

We had snow last night and a high of 53 degrees today, but I can't stand sitting in the house much. So I grabbed my camera and went to get some fresh air. I wasn't expecting much, but I did find a little brown skink, and another garter. The skink didn't want to be photographed, but the garter was feisty and hung around for pics.

DSC_0061 by Scott Wright, on Flickr
“...the old ones ... knew in their bones... that death exists, that all life kills to eat, that all lives end, that energy goes on. They knew that humans are participants, not spectators.” -- Stephen Bodio, On the Edge of the Wild

Last edited by eminart; 03-12-17 at 06:37 PM..
Old 03-12-17, 06:30 PM   #5
saturnascends

That little guy has character! Nice pics, and feel better!
Login to remove ads
Old 03-23-17, 11:43 AM   #6
eminart

I got to take an after work trip a few days ago to check out an area that SHOULD have timber rattlers. It was a nice warm day (for a change) and I had high hopes. The place looked perfect with rock and ledges everywhere. Almost as soon as I got there I spotted a very large rat snake under a ledge. I didn't want to disturb her too much. I snapped one photo that turned out to out of focus. Then she slithered into a hole when I was trying to move a leaf to get a better shot. I could have caught her and pulled her out, but she looked like she'd been through a long winter and needed a shed. And I have tons of rat snake photos anyway. Plus, I thought I'd find plenty more snakes that day. But, you guessed it, that was the only one.

Hopefully I can get out and find some more interesting stuff soon.
Old 03-24-17, 11:30 AM   #7
SnoopySnake

Nice finds! I'm in MI, so excited for everything to come out
Old 03-27-17, 06:15 PM   #8
eminart

So far, it seems to be the year of the garter snake. A few finds from yesterday. Still nothing too exciting.

A huge five-lined skink (Plestiodon inexpectatus)

Yet another Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis (Eastern garter snake)

Tigrosa georgicola (wolf spider)

And a couple more photos of another five lined skink (Plestiodon inexpectatus)

Old 03-27-17, 08:15 PM   #9
MM1

Did that skink just climb up on your toes like that?
Old 03-28-17, 06:25 AM   #10
eminart

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM1 View Post
Did that skink just climb up on your toes like that?

He was under that sheet of tin you see in the background. After I lifted it, he ran around a bit, then came under the edge and ended up on my shoe.
Login to remove ads
Old 03-28-17, 07:54 AM   #11
whistlepig

Great pictures! I don't know how you managed to get those skinks. I can't ever seem to get very close before they run off, and they are very fast.
Old 04-01-17, 03:26 PM   #12
eminart

I was turkey hunting this morning, but it's hard to pass up a flat rock. Found this little worm snake.

Old 04-01-17, 03:36 PM   #13
SnoopySnake

This thread got me so anxious....that I had to go out and look for stuff today. No reptiles, but I found a ton of salamanders!! Pics to come on my own thread

Your herps there are much more interesting from what I've seen, haha
Old 04-01-17, 04:03 PM   #14
eminart

We do have a ton of herp species in the southeast. There are pros and cons to living here, but I definitely count that as a pro.

Looking forward to your salamander pics.
Old 04-02-17, 11:14 AM   #15
Bandit

Man I've been on the hunt for a worm snake. That's one of my target species for this year. They're here, just somewhat tough to come by. Great finds so far!
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread