border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > New to the forum?

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-11-16, 03:50 PM   #1
Zulu3

Exclamation New to everything...

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum and I am also new to being a ball python owner. His name is Zulu, but to be honest I don't even know if he's a boy or a girl. He's about 3ft and he's very sweet.

I really don't know much about posting in forums and even less about snakes. I'm already very attached to him and all I want to do is give him the best living conditions I can.

Zulu comes from a frat house with a lot of partying and handling... where he was fed once every month with two live mice. His heat lamp is actually just a light bulb close to his tank. It smells dirty and he is very cold to the touch. I've only had him a couple days and since last night he has been very active and looks like he's trying to get out..

I really have no idea what I'm doing.. But I want to give him a better home where he wont be stressed out. If anyone can give me information on how to look after a ball python I would really appreciate it.

He seems very thin (for a snake I guess?...) because I can feel his spine. I'm from a small town and called around to see about any vets, but no one had much experience... I want to focus on making him comfortable and I'd love to know what I need.

Thanks!
Login to remove ads
Old 09-11-16, 10:04 PM   #2
Minkness
Forum Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to Minkness
Re: New to everything...

Welcome to the forum!

It's nice of you to take this guy in. He's probably fine, if a bit neglected from the sounds of it.

Thoroughly clean his enclosure. You can use reptile safe cleaners from the pet store, or, just a water and vinegar mix (it's what I use). To help with the smell you can use the enzymatic pet spray you see for sale usually for cat/dog urin. Make sure it's the enzymatic type and then rinse thoroughly.

He will need a UTH (under tank heater) and a thermostat as well as a large water bowl that is big enough for him to soak in as well as at LEAST 1 good hide, though 2 or 3 are much better.

For now use only paper towls in the bottom of his tank to help you evaluate his health. This will allow you to see if he has mites or discolored urates, ect.

Next, see if you can feed him a frozen thawed small rat. A 3 foot BP should be off of mice. Since he is used to live. It helps to make sure that the rat is really warm and use long tweezers or tongs to offer it to him, make it 'jiggle' a bit like it's alive. Also, it should probably be eating every one or two weeks. Once a month is way too much time between meals. =(

Looking forward to some pics and an update on Zulu once you get him all reset up.

Good luck!

I stopped counting at 30....
Old 09-11-16, 10:34 PM   #3
dave himself

Hi and welcome
Old 09-11-16, 11:21 PM   #4
dannybgoode

Hi and welcome

We have another new forum member who has also just adopted a ball python so I'd read through the thread linked to below. It has all the info you need.

If you are still not sure the please ask away and we'll be happy to answer any more questions:

http://www.ssnakess.com/forums/gener...xperience.html
0.1 B imperator, 1.0 M spilota harrisoni, 1.0 C hortulanus, 2.1 P reticulatus (Madu locality), 1.1 S amethystine, 1.1 L olivaceous, 1.0 C angulifer, 1.0 Z persicus, 0.1 P regius, 0.1 N natrix, 0.1 E climacophora, 1.0 P obsoletus, 0.1 L geluta nigrtia, 1.0 P catenifer sayi, 1.0 T lepidus
Old 09-12-16, 12:36 AM   #5
infernalis

Savannahmonitor.net
Login to remove ads
Old 09-12-16, 01:05 AM   #6
dannybgoode

A couple of other points. Snakes do often feel cold to touch even when they're being kept at the correct temperature.

Also they are escape artists extraordinaire so hunting around for ways out isn't unusual nor is it unusual for them to be having an explore.
0.1 B imperator, 1.0 M spilota harrisoni, 1.0 C hortulanus, 2.1 P reticulatus (Madu locality), 1.1 S amethystine, 1.1 L olivaceous, 1.0 C angulifer, 1.0 Z persicus, 0.1 P regius, 0.1 N natrix, 0.1 E climacophora, 1.0 P obsoletus, 0.1 L geluta nigrtia, 1.0 P catenifer sayi, 1.0 T lepidus
Old 09-12-16, 06:42 AM   #7
macandchz

dear zulu3, it's very nice of you to take zulu in. i have a ball python also. it may be to your advantage that he was handled a lot as that may make him more comfortable with you. to me it sounds like zulu was underfed as i give mac 2 live mice a week-if he's in the mood to eat them. balls can be picky eaters so don't be surprized if he goes off his food at times. pythons have more of a skinny body than some snakes, and i know i was amazed that they could swallow a whole mouse when their neck? area seem so thin. just relax and enjoy him and i'm sure you'll get your questions answered here.
Old 09-12-16, 12:50 PM   #8
Zulu3

Thank you!! I feel so bad for him and I really want to clean up his cage. I'll start looking into rats then. Should I feed him one or power feed him 2?

Thanks again!
Old 09-12-16, 12:56 PM   #9
Zulu3

Thank you all for the help!!

Gabrielle and Zulu
Old 09-12-16, 06:24 PM   #10
trailblazer295

Welcome to the forum.
Old 09-12-16, 06:55 PM   #11
Minkness
Forum Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to Minkness

Just feed 1 at a time to allow his body to get used to the extra time to digest as well as thebextra calories.

I stopped counting at 30....
Closed Thread