border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Venomous Forums > General Venomous Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-11-16, 01:26 PM   #1
MM1

Article on possible broad spectrum 'Antidote' to snake envenomations.

I was just reading some news items on during lunch today and stumbled upon this article on the potential of an existing drug as a broad spectrum antidote (not requiring temp control or species specificity) to many types of snake venom. If one, or even a series of such drugs are discovered and prove safe and effective enough, it would be a boon to folks who live in places where venomous snakes are in close proximity. It would also be of great benefit to private and institutional venomous keepers, as the drugs would likely easier to produce than antivenin and wouldn't need refrigeration or have short expiration dates, etc.

This drug is closest yet to a universal snakebite antidote
Login to remove ads
Old 03-11-16, 01:38 PM   #2
D Grade

Re: Article on possible broad spectrum 'Antidote' to snake envenomations.

Quote:
Snakes, says Dr. Matt Lewin, are “like little mobile landmines”: They’re invisible, lying in wait in populated areas, killing or maiming without warning. Worldwide, tens of thousands of people die from snakebites every year.
I love how these articles always start. Reminds me of that Tim guy from Venom Hunters..over dramatic, easy to misunderstand, only a portion of fact.

This article however, is pretty interesting. I'm surprised they aren't testing with SW Crotalus species first seeing how they are in California already.
Anatolius - 1.0 Honduran Milk (Lampropeltis Triangulum Hondurensis) Valentina - 0.1 Sonoran Gopher (Pituophis Catenifer Affinis) Medusa - 0.1 Black-Tailed Rattlesnake (Crotalus Molossus Molossus) Bubba - 1.0 AZ Mountain King (Lampropeltis Pyromelana)
Old 03-11-16, 03:38 PM   #3
Venomhunter

Ah, the legendary universal antivenom.. It is like the holy grail of AV's.
If it will be succesful this time is questionable to me, venom has different effects on different people. No snake bite is the same.
And D is right, the introduction is way over the top.. Biological landmines? Antrax etc. are biological landmines, snakes are not.
Old 03-11-16, 04:27 PM   #4
MDT

VH..I agree w you. It would def be the holy grail. It would also be amazing from a clinical standpoint. I'm interested in your statement "venom has diff effects on diff people"..I think I get where you're coming from, but can you explain your meaning? Clinically, my experience is that hemotoxins will act as hemotoxins on a vertebrate that has been envenomated. The difference that I see clinically is a dose dependent issue (that's where something like the Snakebite Severity Score would come into play-you know, it's the whole "just how bad are you" at Time 0 vs Time 1 hr? )...and that's where no two bites are the same when I am treating a snakebite victim. Let me know your thoughts.

I can say I'm really interested to see where this research goes.
Old 03-13-16, 10:11 AM   #5
Venomhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDT View Post
VH..I agree w you. It would def be the holy grail. It would also be amazing from a clinical standpoint. I'm interested in your statement "venom has diff effects on diff people"..I think I get where you're coming from, but can you explain your meaning? Clinically, my experience is that hemotoxins will act as hemotoxins on a vertebrate that has been envenomated. The difference that I see clinically is a dose dependent issue (that's where something like the Snakebite Severity Score would come into play-you know, it's the whole "just how bad are you" at Time 0 vs Time 1 hr? )...and that's where no two bites are the same when I am treating a snakebite victim. Let me know your thoughts.

I can say I'm really interested to see where this research goes.
I meant that every snakebite is different because of different factors including the dose, time and physical condition of the patient.
Also, the same species of snake but from a different location may have different components in it's venom.. Dendroaspis angusticeps for instance, this species has in some locations a cytotoxic component in it's venom.

There are a ton of factors that makes every snakebite unique and challenging in it's own way.
It's one of the reasons why the universal AV is still not in hospital refrigerators.
Old 03-13-16, 11:22 AM   #6
MDT

Gotcha...that's kinda where I thought you were going with that..And I don't disagree w you at all.

*IF* there is a preceding common pathway (instead of final common pathway--makes you dig out your biochem stuff), I could see it happening. But, that seems a little like the "God" particle in quantum physics. It may be out there, but no one has found it yet
Old 03-13-16, 12:33 PM   #7
Venomhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDT View Post
Gotcha...that's kinda where I thought you were going with that..And I don't disagree w you at all.

*IF* there is a preceding common pathway (instead of final common pathway--makes you dig out your biochem stuff), I could see it happening. But, that seems a little like the "God" particle in quantum physics. It may be out there, but no one has found it yet
Exactly! But the son of a gun who does find it is going to be filthy rich i'd say!
Old 03-23-16, 03:40 PM   #8
D Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomhunter View Post
Ah, the legendary universal antivenom.. It is like the holy grail of AV's.
If it will be succesful this time is questionable to me, venom has different effects on different people. No snake bite is the same.
And D is right, the introduction is way over the top.. Biological landmines? Antrax etc. are biological landmines, snakes are not.
Its irritating to say the least, VH. I think the bad name has been well enough given to snakes and the world could use less of the "over-the-top" hype. Last time I checked this AM, my C. Molossus was still intact in her living space (as opposed to being in a million pieces seeing how she is supposed to be an exploding "land mine".
Anatolius - 1.0 Honduran Milk (Lampropeltis Triangulum Hondurensis) Valentina - 0.1 Sonoran Gopher (Pituophis Catenifer Affinis) Medusa - 0.1 Black-Tailed Rattlesnake (Crotalus Molossus Molossus) Bubba - 1.0 AZ Mountain King (Lampropeltis Pyromelana)
Old 03-25-16, 12:27 AM   #9
Venomhunter

Smile Re: Article on possible broad spectrum 'Antidote' to snake envenomations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Grade View Post
Its irritating to say the least, VH. I think the bad name has been well enough given to snakes and the world could use less of the "over-the-top" hype. Last time I checked this AM, my C. Molossus was still intact in her living space (as opposed to being in a million pieces seeing how she is supposed to be an exploding "land mine".
You know how the media is? Even a brick wall is sensational "what if it tips over right on a person?!" Killer wall.

Always great to find your snake alive and well, i believe captive specimens got their share of gunpowder removed!
Don't step on them in the wild though, they'll blast you into oblivion lol

Last edited by Venomhunter; 03-25-16 at 12:33 AM..
Old 03-25-16, 02:25 PM   #10
D Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomhunter View Post
You know how the media is? Even a brick wall is sensational "what if it tips over right on a person?!" Killer wall.

Always great to find your snake alive and well, i believe captive specimens got their share of gunpowder removed!
Don't step on them in the wild though, they'll blast you into oblivion lol
Well said, my friend!
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread