border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > General Information Forums > Food For Thought Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-14-15, 12:04 PM   #1
stevo-d

feeding in tank or feeding box

Just want peoples thoughts opinions on this as I have always fed in tanks and never had any issues with aggression.the only snakes I have had to separate was my garters but there only 3 foot long. How do you have a feeding box for a 10\12 foot burmese \ red tail I tap on the bottom of the tank with my fingers to mimic a rat and as soon as they feel the small vibration they know its feeding time.
Login to remove ads
Old 04-14-15, 12:08 PM   #2
SnoopySnake

Re: feeding in tank or feeding box

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo-d View Post
How do you have a feeding box for a 10\12 foot burmese \ red tail
You don't...lol. Just a bad idea. There's nothing wrong with feeding inside the enclosure. In fact, my snakes that were fed out of the enclosure were more aggressive. Not sure if it's related, though.
Old 04-14-15, 12:45 PM   #3
elkied243

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopySnake View Post
You don't...lol. Just a bad idea. There's nothing wrong with feeding inside the enclosure. In fact, my snakes that were fed out of the enclosure were more aggressive. Not sure if it's related, though.
My corn I used to feed in a separate box became aggressive, the snakes I never transferred didn't have any issues.

My only real opinion on the matter is to make sure you keep the mouse/rat (assuming you feed pre-killed) off the substrate I either use tongs or just leave the mouse/rat on my snakes hide to avoid his consuming the substrate.

I had the same thought not too long ago. It's way too expensive to buy a tank big enough for a red tail simply to feed in! Mine is currently 4.5 feet and I can't see myself getting him a separate tank lol!
Old 04-14-15, 01:20 PM   #4
millertime89
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo-d View Post
How do you have a feeding box for a 10\12 foot burmese \ red tail
You don't. It is extremely dangerous and unnecessarily stressful. IMO it doesn't matter if the snake is 24 inches or 24 feet, feed it in it's enclosure.
Old 04-14-15, 01:27 PM   #5
stevo-d

I have always thought feeding boxes were a hassle take the snake out feed it in a separate box then put it back in enclosure when its in feeding mode just asking to get tagged. But if it works for people then I have no arguments I was just asking peoples opinions and wondered if anybody tried to feed a big snake in a feeding box. Out all my snakes I have only been bit by one my bullsnake she's mad as hell loves to eat and If I tried to move her I'd get my hand chewed off thanks for the reply
Login to remove ads
Old 04-24-15, 09:22 AM   #6
mistersprinkles

Feeding boxes are unnecessary and a bad idea. Period. feed the snake in its enclosure. It's fine. Anybody who says its not fine is a dork.
Old 04-24-15, 09:29 AM   #7
jjhill001

I feed my rat snakes in a feeding enclosure because they have natural set ups and really the main negative is the worry they may eat some substrate. This wouldn't normally be an issue for well hydrated animals but my snakes are still little and I just don't like the idea of them eating a bunch of crap if they don't have to. I may or may not continue this feeding strategy as it lets me open everything in their cages up, use my temp probe, spot clean and look for any sort of broken things.
Old 04-24-15, 09:34 AM   #8
lady_bug87
Forum Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to lady_bug87

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjhill001 View Post
I feed my rat snakes in a feeding enclosure because they have natural set ups and really the main negative is the worry they may eat some substrate. This wouldn't normally be an issue for well hydrated animals but my snakes are still little and I just don't like the idea of them eating a bunch of crap if they don't have to. I may or may not continue this feeding strategy as it lets me open everything in their cages up, use my temp probe, spot clean and look for any sort of broken things.
They digest bones I'm sure a little substrate should be ok. Better than reaching in to a box and pulling out a just-fed snake.
Old 04-24-15, 09:37 AM   #9
jjhill001

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady_bug87 View Post
They digest bones I'm sure a little substrate should be ok. Better than reaching in to a box and pulling out a just-fed snake.
I feed FT and they are pinkies so EVERYTHING sticks to them. My little male caught a bunch of the dirt in his mouth. It didn't cause him any harm but I felt bad as he twitched around trying to spit it out.

I'm thinking of getting the snakes a plate (IE a flat rock) to set the pinkie on to maybe alleviate this issue.
Old 04-24-15, 09:40 AM   #10
lady_bug87
Forum Moderator

Yea that works! I've done that. I haven't had to worry about that in a while since I use newspaper
Login to remove ads
Old 04-24-15, 09:44 AM   #11
jjhill001

http://www.ssnakess.com/forums/gener...-s-setups.html

That's the link to my setups. They are pretty nice. The one with the skull has a wooden cave in it now as well.
Old 04-24-15, 09:46 AM   #12
lady_bug87
Forum Moderator

Cool. Id get rid of that temperature guage and use an infrared gun.
Old 04-24-15, 09:50 AM   #13
jjhill001

Quote:
I do that too. I keep it in there as the recent swings in weather here in Ohio combined with this crappy house we rent allows the temps to swing pretty greatly. And I can do a quick overall ambient check (the dial is about 3 degrees higher than what the infrared gun says) and see if I need to click the furnace on. It's not too bad in the day but it went from 75 degrees out to 32 degrees in like a day so I like to have it.
Old 04-24-15, 09:51 AM   #14
jjhill001

Plus he likes to climb on it. I noticed that both the female and male were trying to climb a lot and actually got them some plastic plants that suction cup onto the walls. It's not really natural looking but they seem to like climbing in them. The setups I have planned for when they become adults are gonna be cool.
Old 04-24-15, 10:04 AM   #15
jjhill001

Quote:
http://www.ssnakess.com/forums/gener...tml#post959286

Went and snapped a pic.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread