border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-04-19, 05:58 AM   #1
StickyTheGecko

Question Keeping herps in garage?

I really want my bedroom back lol. Has anyone else converting a garage/ shed to a rep room? I was thinking of using the work room in my garage as a herp room. Right now it is an uninsulated room with sheetrock and a concrete floor. My plan was to just nail 1 inch thick foam insulation boards onto the sheet rock into the studs, and cover the floor with insulation boards, and then add a layer of plywood or something to walk on. For the winter months, I was planning on getting a radiator. The room only has two outlets, and I was also hoping to get a few more put in. Does this sound like a good plan? In the winter it can get pretty cold, like -6 celsius (20 F). Are there any better options out there? And does anyone have a good example I can follow? Thanks!
Login to remove ads
Old 09-04-19, 01:21 PM   #2
MnGuy

Re: Keeping herps in garage?

That winter temperature is too cold. I live in Minnesota in the USA, and my house gets chilly as heck in the winter even with real insulation and heating. It would be too difficult to keep temperatures warm and stable in a garage, even with some insulation.
Old 09-04-19, 02:44 PM   #3
craigafrechette

Ive heard of people keeping herps in their garage, but only in warmer climates where temps were more stable.

One other thing to consider, if you keep cars, lawn mowers, paints, etc...in the garage the fumes may be an issue.
I have no hands on experience there, but the thought popped into my head so I figured I'd share.
Old 09-05-19, 07:40 AM   #4
Benjamin1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
Ive heard of people keeping herps in their garage, but only in warmer climates where temps were more stable.

One other thing to consider, if you keep cars, lawn mowers, paints, etc...in the garage the fumes may be an issue.
I have no hands on experience there, but the thought popped into my head so I figured I'd share.
your right the smells from oils and gasoline and any other oily substances found in garages could harm or even kill snakes
Closed Thread

Tags
garage, outdoor