sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Python Regius

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-30-18, 11:18 PM   #1
Icarusre

Is a GTP beginner friendly?

Hi guys,

I will be moving to the UK for uni and I have decided that I will act on my childhood dream and get myself a snake.

I originally intended to buy a Ball Python but I recently came across the GTP and I was curious as to wether or not it would be as beginner friendly as the Ball Python.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Login to remove ads
Old 06-03-18, 05:17 AM   #2
TeamSlitherin

Send a message via AIM to TeamSlitherin
Re: Is a GTP beginner friendly?

In a word: nope. Nope, nope, nope. Stick with something that has more forgiving husbandry and temperament.
Old 06-03-18, 05:23 AM   #3
kazz

GTP is quite difficult snake to own. As a beginner you have very big chances to kill it or rip it's tail for example.
I suggest you to get Carpet Python. There are plenty different carpets. they are close enough to GTP.
Old 06-03-18, 09:17 AM   #4
psychocircus

Well, they are not considered beginner snakes and come with challenges. However with a very good PVC enclosure, use of a radiant heat panel, and thermostat, mine has become as easy to maintain as most of my other snakes. I don't handle mine though, and the initial cost between a cbb snake and the enclosure/accessories was around $1000 US dollars.
Old 06-04-18, 02:32 AM   #5
craigafrechette

A GTP is definitely not considered a beginner snake. There are plenty of other species that will be an easier first choice.

Also, something to consider: snakes are a long commitment.
Many colleges/unis will not allow snakes in campus dorm rooms, most apartment landlords won't allow snakes either. Pretty much all college students need roommates, which will be considerably harder to find if you've got a snake that will be living with you.

I'm assuming you don't have a snake now because you live at home with parents who won't allow one in the house? Will you be going home for breaks? Or summer?

Then there's after college, when again, landlords and roommates will probably be an issue still since the vast majority don't buy a house and live alone after graduating.

My two cents: wait a few more years til after college and you've settled into your adult home and life. A LOT happens in your late teens and twenties. A snake will be a HUGE commitment at this part of your life.
If you've wanted one for years already, you'll still want one in a few years once life has slowed down a bit and you've settled into adulthood.

Just some food for thought...
Login to remove ads
Old 06-04-18, 08:34 AM   #6
Jim Smith

I think that what craigafrechette said makes a lot of sense. You will want mobility in college, both in taking spontaneous trips as well as moving your domicile. I agree with Craig in that you (and probably the snake) will be better served if you wait at least until you are out of college and on your own. One other consideration is the cost to keep the snake. Prey items can get expensive and if your snake ever needs any vet care, well that can be very expensive.
Old 06-05-18, 03:45 AM   #7
craigafrechette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Smith View Post
I think that what craigafrechette said makes a lot of sense. You will want mobility in college, both in taking spontaneous trips as well as moving your domicile. I agree with Craig in that you (and probably the snake) will be better served if you wait at least until you are out of college and on your own. One other consideration is the cost to keep the snake. Prey items can get expensive and if your snake ever needs any vet care, well that can be very expensive.
Other very good points made here...
Feeding can be done on a part time job while in college, but can get pricey, but a vet bill can be a couple hundred bucks easy, and unexpectedly.
I have a "secret stash" that I absolutely will NOT touch just in case any of my animals needs a vet visit.
If you won't be able to provide proper vet care, it's unfair to the animal and it's probably best to wait.
Old 06-05-18, 09:04 AM   #8
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

In you're case I wouldn't recommend it. You're a student, keep it easy with caring for a pet.
Old 06-05-18, 11:48 AM   #9
Roman

As the others already said, a GTP is not a good snake to start your journey into snake keeping. Most of the reasons mentioned are valid, so there is no need to repeat them.

I just want to add another reason form a European perspective. You have to be aware of the fact that all boas and all pythons (with the exception of ball pythons) are protected species under European law, most of them are subject to registration at the local administration. If you get a protected snake you have to register it, if you move you will have to register it at your new home. Nowadays this is no problem within the EU, but nobody really knows what will happen after Brexit, if you can move (protected) animals across borders without tons of paperwork (or at all). This is the reason why keepers from the UK are near desperate to buy all kind of reptiles from the rest of Europe before the open borders close.

In your case, if you will probably move back to Turkey this might be even more of a problem.
1,0 Lampropeltis triangulum campbelli, 1,2 Gonyosoma oxycephalum, 1,2 Philodryas baroni, 1,2 Spilotes pullatus, 2,1 Spilotes sulphureus, 0,1 Gonyosoma boulengeri, 1,1 Zamenis longissimus, 0,1 Malpolon sp., 1,1 Malpolon monspessulanus
Old 06-05-18, 01:25 PM   #10
craigafrechette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman View Post
As the others already said, a GTP is not a good snake to start your journey into snake keeping. Most of the reasons mentioned are valid, so there is no need to repeat them.

I just want to add another reason form a European perspective. You have to be aware of the fact that all boas and all pythons (with the exception of ball pythons) are protected species under European law, most of them are subject to registration at the local administration. If you get a protected snake you have to register it, if you move you will have to register it at your new home. Nowadays this is no problem within the EU, but nobody really knows what will happen after Brexit, if you can move (protected) animals across borders without tons of paperwork (or at all). This is the reason why keepers from the UK are near desperate to buy all kind of reptiles from the rest of Europe before the open borders close.

In your case, if you will probably move back to Turkey this might be even more of a problem.
Great point. I'm in the US so I had no idea about that. Thanks for sharing.
Login to remove ads
Old 06-06-18, 08:10 AM   #11
kazz

Exclamation Re: Is a GTP beginner friendly?

Quote:
I just want to add another reason form a European perspective. You have to be aware of the fact that all boas and all pythons (with the exception of ball pythons) are protected species under European law, most of them are subject to registration at the local administration.
What do you mean saying " all boas and all pythonsare protected species under European law" ?
As far as I know if you want move across borders with reptiles you have to have a documents. This documents are bull **** and have nothing common with protection of animals though these docs suppose to protect animals. Anyway documents literally say your animal is captive born and wasn't took in a wild nature. So this docs are about CITES - (the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora, also known as the Washington Convention) . CITES has several lists. And all boas and pythons are in list 2. Crossing borders you have to have docs your reptile is in list 2 or 3 or isn't in list 1,2,3.

I know in Latvia you have to pay tax for any captive born reptile and this ****** laws kill interest of people to have reptiles.

It's really stupid to have such a laws about boa and pythons bc it's tropical animals , they can't live in Europe wild.
Old 06-06-18, 03:17 PM   #12
Roman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazz View Post
What do you mean saying " all boas and all pythonsare protected species under European law" ? [...]
Kazz, you are mixing things up. I am talking about the “Council Regulation (EC) No 338/97 on the protection of species of wild fauna and flora by regulating trade therein” of the European Union. This is the basic regulation for the implementation of the provisions of CITES. Within the EU we have a Single Market and no systematic border controls, so the provisions of CITES had to be implemented uniformly in all EU member states.

The provisions of the EU regulation go beyond CITES in a number of respects. Some species listed in CITES Appendix II or III are listed in Annex A of the European regulation. For more details is a detailed list of differences here --> http://ec.europa.eu/environment/cite..._and_cites.pdf

and the general information here --> The European Union and Trade in Wild Fauna and Flora - Environment - European Commission

The important point is the requirement of an import permit for species listed in Annex A and Annex B: “An import permit is required for Annex A and Annex B species, to be applied for at the competent authorities in the Member State.”

To give you an example: today somebody from the UK can buy a reptile listed in Annex B (among them all boas and pythons not already listed in Annex A) at the Hamm expo in Germany and the only thing he needs to bring it back to the UK is a proof of origin. He doesn’t need to pay any (import) taxes and when he registers his new animal at the local authorities he only needs to show them the proof of origin.

After Brexit he would need an import permit to get the same animal from Germany to the UK and would probably have to pay some kind of import tax, depending on the way the UK leaves the EU.

Since the OP is from Turkey (not a EU member state) and might move back from the UK (then also no EU member state any longer) he will very likely need an import permit for a boa or python once he moves back to Turkey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazz View Post
It's really stupid to have such a laws about boa and pythons bc it's tropical animals , they can't live in Europe wild.
This is a completely different matter, all I was talking of are the trade provisions and restrictions, not about the problem of introduction of foreign species.
1,0 Lampropeltis triangulum campbelli, 1,2 Gonyosoma oxycephalum, 1,2 Philodryas baroni, 1,2 Spilotes pullatus, 2,1 Spilotes sulphureus, 0,1 Gonyosoma boulengeri, 1,1 Zamenis longissimus, 0,1 Malpolon sp., 1,1 Malpolon monspessulanus
Old 06-06-18, 04:02 PM   #13
kazz

Quote:
After Brexit he would need an import permit to get the same animal from Germany to the UK and would probably have to pay some kind of import tax, depending on the way the UK leaves the EU.
So he 'd need CITES docs.
Quote:
This is a completely different matter, all I was talking of are the trade provisions and restrictions, not about the problem of introduction of foreign species.
The matter all these docs (including CITES) for wild animals needed to protect these animals at it's native habitat, but it don't works.

Roman, so if I wanna move to EU with my snakes what docs do I need ?
As far as I know I need copy of CITES docs for parents of my snakes to prove they were captive born.

P.S. It's really stupid to register any reptile in EU.
Old 06-06-18, 04:06 PM   #14
Captain837

I agree with all above however I have a suggestion that may or may not work for you. I had to.get rid of most of my snakes when I went off to college. I really missed them so I found a way to get the best of both worlds. I found a mom and pop pet shop that specialized in exotic snakes and lizards. I volunteered my time working with his newer reptiles handling them and getting them used to human interaction so they would be more manageable as pets. in doing so I got to work with everything from green tree pythons to anacondas. it was an amazing experience that really thought me about the individual aspects of different species based on where they came from, what they ate, how they hunted and what are them. it also taught me how vastly different two individuals of the same species can be.
like I said, not sure if it could work for you but it may he worth a shot to look for one of these types of shops locally.