Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Boa Forums > Boa Constrictor

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-27-20, 01:20 PM   #1
Mazloom1994

How to wean off of power feed

Hi
everyone

Happy to be here. Now I need some help and this is the best forum I know around.

I’m currently living in Iran and as you probably guess the reptile scene here is not great. I’m buying my first BCI (previously have had ball pythons and my dad used to keep a huge Burmese that I helped him with). Which will be my first snake over here.

Now all the breeders in Iran power feed their snakes. This snake is 3-4 months old and a female BCI. She will arrive tomorrow and I will share pictures and specific data such as weight, length and stuff here.

What I need to know is how to approach weaning her off of the power feeding schedule. I will share the exact schedule tomorrow I know that the breeder fed her 3 adult lab mouse To her each week! All at the same day and in quick
succession

He is also shipping some feeders to me tomorrow so I will know what is the weight of the pray she usually consumes

Should I just go cold turkey or should I gradually reduce her meal size? Also will there be any permanent harm to her?

I searched the web but found no answer to these questions

Appreciate any and all feedback
Login to remove ads
Old 07-29-20, 09:05 AM   #2
richardhind

Re: How to wean off of power feed

my 3-4 month boas are on one small mice weekly/10days
my 1 yr old boas are on large mice fortnightly

so definitely being overfed, this will cause obesity and shorten there lifespan

slow and steady are far better for boas as they have a slower metabolism than a python
id also wait for them to defecate before in between feeds to make sure there empty and this way shouldn't get too fat

hope this helps
0.1 Common het Kahl BCI,,0.1 red pastel hypo het albino bci,0.1 kahl sunglow bci, 1.1 boa longicauda het "Zero",1.0 motley het kahl bci,0.1hypo img,1.0 hypo harlequin het vpi t+, 1.2 hypo 100%het albino and 100% het berry blood, 1.0 guyana bcc,1.0 hypo jungle het blood&het albino,1.0 albino motley0.1 sunglow motley,1.1 mandarinbelly leopard
Old 07-29-20, 09:50 AM   #3
poison123

Re: How to wean off of power feed

Waiting for defecation is a good rule of thumb for boas. I would just switch to feeding once a week maybe even once every two weeks depending on the snakes weight until you get it back down to a healthy rectangular shape. As far as if something is wrong with the snake. Only a vet can tell you that. Generally a growing baby snake would need more meals than say and adult but 3 adult mice is a bit much. Please post pics when you get it. Ima take a guess and say after 3-4 months its not THAT bad but thats just my guess until you post the pics.