border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Boa Forums > Boa Constrictor

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-17-20, 06:36 PM   #1
Roargathor

BCI can't breath from nostrils

I have a 7ft male BCI about 7 years old. Today he's exhibiting issues breathing from his nostrils. I was worried it could be a URI, so I checked his mouth. There's no extra saliva or discoloration of tissues. It seems to be just his nostrils. No discharge, gurgling or bubbles that I can tell.

This started fairly suddenly as my housemate took him out for some handling, he was out for about 30 minutes before he started huffing noticeably, and opening his mouth to breath. He has never bit anyone or become noticeably agitated when being handled. Always super sweet and docile.

He shed last week, so perhaps his nostrils didn't get all the way clear, but I let him soak in the tub for a bit to try and moisten things in hopes whatever was blocking the airways would dislodge.

Anyway, just checking if anyone here has experienced this. His enclosure is 90-95 in the warm side, and 75ish on the cool side. There's fresh water in a large bowl for hydration and humidity, and he's had no issues with this set up his whole life. The substrate is "repti-bark" and cocoa fiber mix.

Thanks for any info.
Login to remove ads
Old 06-27-20, 10:26 PM   #2
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Re: BCI can't breath from nostrils

Welcome aboard and best wishes. I'm not sure what could be causing the breathing issues but I hope it's nothing serious. Keep us posted.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Old 07-01-20, 03:55 PM   #3
kazz

Usually snakes don't start open their mouth because of breathing problems. Usually they start whistling. Anyway opening mouth to breath IMHO the cause to attend a veterinarian.
Old 07-10-20, 01:37 AM   #4
richardhind

have you checked in the nostrils to see if theirs any stuck shed in there,might be worth a check
0.1 Common het Kahl BCI,,0.1 red pastel hypo het albino bci,0.1 kahl sunglow bci, 1.1 boa longicauda het "Zero",1.0 motley het kahl bci,0.1hypo img,1.0 hypo harlequin het vpi t+, 1.2 hypo 100%het albino and 100% het berry blood, 1.0 guyana bcc,1.0 hypo jungle het blood&het albino,1.0 albino motley0.1 sunglow motley,1.1 mandarinbelly leopard
Old 07-10-20, 08:34 PM   #5
Roargathor

Hey guys, thanks for the responses. He's not had any issues since.. I think it was some stuck shed in the nostrils that got dislodged at some point after the soak. He seems fine now. He's always huffed a little when being handled, almost like he's sighing out of frustration when he's prevented from going someplace we don't want him to. I'll keep an eye on him and see what happens. Thanks!
Login to remove ads
Old 07-26-20, 08:16 AM   #6
richardhind

thats great news
a lot of boas huff a bit ,really makes me laugh
0.1 Common het Kahl BCI,,0.1 red pastel hypo het albino bci,0.1 kahl sunglow bci, 1.1 boa longicauda het "Zero",1.0 motley het kahl bci,0.1hypo img,1.0 hypo harlequin het vpi t+, 1.2 hypo 100%het albino and 100% het berry blood, 1.0 guyana bcc,1.0 hypo jungle het blood&het albino,1.0 albino motley0.1 sunglow motley,1.1 mandarinbelly leopard
Closed Thread