border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Venomous Forums > General Venomous Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-26-12, 10:11 PM   #1
bronxzoofrank
Retired

Legendary snakeman Bill Haast quote: what do you think?

Legendary snakeman Bill Haast suffered 170+ venomous snakebites, but offered practical advice to snake keepers: " You can have a snake for 30 years, but leave the door open once and it's gone...and it won't come back unless you have a mouse in your mouth"! Read about his life and influence on herpetology and herpetoculture here Legendary Snakeman Bill Haast Passes at Age 100 That Reptile Blog, and let me know what you think.
Login to remove ads
Old 12-26-12, 10:16 PM   #2
Corey209

Send a message via Skype™ to Corey209
Re: Legendary snakeman Bill Haast quote: what do you think?

Wouldn't it be looked at in a negative way to have been bitten so many times? Or was safety different with hots then it is now?

Last edited by Corey209; 12-26-12 at 10:24 PM..
Old 12-26-12, 10:21 PM   #3
MDT

I love reading about the "old guard"...Haast, Ray Ditmars, Karl Caufield...they were the pioneers of the hobby. Very cool blog post Frank, thanks!
Old 12-26-12, 10:23 PM   #4
bronxzoofrank
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey209 View Post
Wouldn't you think people would look at him in more of a negative way seeing he suffered so many bites?
Yes, he was very controversial...as mentioned in the article, many of the bites were taken purposefully, in furtherance of his theories; on the other hand, he was a major source of venom needed for antivenin production at a time when such was in short supply....

Best, Frank
Old 12-26-12, 10:24 PM   #5
bronxzoofrank
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDT View Post
I love reading about the "old guard"...Haast, Ray Ditmars, Karl Caufield...they were the pioneers of the hobby. Very cool blog post Frank, thanks!
My pleasure, thanks for the kind words...I have them all (literally!) and still go through them regularly, nothing like it., best, Frank
Login to remove ads
Old 12-26-12, 10:29 PM   #6
EmbraceCalamity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey209 View Post
Wouldn't it be looked at in a negative way to have been bitten so many times? Or was safety different with hots then it is now?
It's my understanding that people who work with venomous snakes are bound to be bit quite a lot. Same thing about people who work with horses are bound to get hurt a lot, no matter how good they are. That's just my understanding though, which could be incorrect.

~Maggot
Old 12-27-12, 04:38 AM   #7
Zoo Nanny

A few years back I watched an episode on National Geographic where he was interviewed. Initially my first impression of him was "what a crackpot" but as the interviewed progressed so did my impression of him. I'm sure that there are many people, more than ever counted out there alive today because of his research and love of the hobby.
Old 12-27-12, 07:47 AM   #8
SSSSnakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmbraceCalamity View Post
It's my understanding that people who work with venomous snakes are bound to be bit quite a lot. Same thing about people who work with horses are bound to get hurt a lot, no matter how good they are. That's just my understanding though, which could be incorrect.

~Maggot
I work with venomous snakes every day and have for the past 32 years. I have been bitten once, due to my own carelessness. With today's safety equipment and the ability to have extreme patience, there is little reason to be bitten so much. William Haast was one of my hero's, but his style of handling was very careless.
Old 12-27-12, 02:10 PM   #9
bronxzoofrank
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoo Nanny View Post
A few years back I watched an episode on National Geographic where he was interviewed. Initially my first impression of him was "what a crackpot" but as the interviewed progressed so did my impression of him. I'm sure that there are many people, more than ever counted out there alive today because of his research and love of the hobby.
Hi, Thanks...many of my older co-workers knew him (I missed meeting him each time I was near) and had the same opinion as yourself. Also, he began in the field almost 90 yrs ago, which affects the path he took.

Today it's common to deride others of that time..i.e. Ross Allen (most recently in the book Stolen World) for being "showmen" etc...but Mr. Allen nearly singlehandedly supplied venom for antivenin for several species to the US armed forces during WW II, when not many were doing that work; many of his observations and notes were first-of-their-kind as well. Best, Frank
Old 12-27-12, 02:12 PM   #10
bronxzoofrank
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSSnakes View Post
I work with venomous snakes every day and have for the past 32 years. I have been bitten once, due to my own carelessness. With today's safety equipment and the ability to have extreme patience, there is little reason to be bitten so much. William Haast was one of my hero's, but his style of handling was very careless.
Sorry if article wasn't clear...he did indeed take chances that I would not, but many of the bites were received purposefully, in furtherance of his quest to produce antivenin within his body (not possible, as far as we know); not something I would do or advise, of course...Best, Frank
Login to remove ads
Old 12-27-12, 02:38 PM   #11
Zoo Nanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronxzoofrank View Post
Hi, Thanks...many of my older co-workers knew him (I missed meeting him each time I was near) and had the same opinion as yourself. Also, he began in the field almost 90 yrs ago, which affects the path he took.

Today it's common to deride others of that time..i.e. Ross Allen (most recently in the book Stolen World) for being "showmen" etc...but Mr. Allen nearly singlehandedly supplied venom for antivenin for several species to the US armed forces during WW II, when not many were doing that work; many of his observations and notes were first-of-their-kind as well. Best, Frank
I gave the wrong impression, I apologize. After re-reading my post within your quote I see that it sounds like my impression of him being a crack pot increased. I meant the extreme opposite. As I watched the interview I became very impressed with his work and passion.
Old 12-27-12, 02:45 PM   #12
bronxzoofrank
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoo Nanny View Post
I gave the wrong impression, I apologize. After re-reading my post within your quote I see that it sounds like my impression of him being a crack pot increased. I meant the extreme opposite. As I watched the interview I became very impressed with his work and passion.
Thanks for writing, but I didn't think you were being overly critical; he certainly was beyond controversial, and many do criticize him for leading young (and not so young) herp enthusiasts onto a dangerous path; he did much of value as well. And, you never know....Ben Franklin couldn't have been wrapped too tight, running around in a lightening storm with a kite and a key!!! Best, Frank
Old 12-27-12, 02:53 PM   #13
Zoo Nanny

Good analogy!
I think most people with a passion for animals have a tendency to be a bit off the deep end, myself included or so I've been told on many occasions.

Tags
bill haast, cobra, venomous snakebite