border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Boa Forums > Corallus Family

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-21-15, 11:50 PM   #1
Justinbolleurs

Question Should I get an Amazon tree boa?

Hi. I always wanted a amazon tree boa but allot of people say they very aggressive and they tend not to calm down completely, now I don't have an issue with aggressive snakes at first but I don't want a snake sitting in the cage 24/7 because they don't really calm down completely. Many people say rock pythons are way to aggressive but I've caught wild juveniles and doesn't take them very long to stop striking at me and be comfortable being held, so can I compare this to a rock python, or are they even harder to tame? #silly question
Login to remove ads
Old 12-21-15, 11:57 PM   #2
Minkness
Forum Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to Minkness
Re: Should I get an Amazon tree boa?

No experience, but Ibhave heard that if you make sure to get a captive bred one and handle regularly, they can calm down. I know a local guy who has one and swears it never strikes.

I stopped counting at 30....
Old 12-22-15, 12:51 AM   #3
toddnbecka

Ya, captive bred are more likely to settle down than WC imports, not to mention they won't be loaded with parasites. In the end it depends on the individual snake though, there are some snakes of many different species that will tolerate handling, while others just don't ever mellow out regardless of how much they're handled.
7.6.26 Dominican red mountain boas, 1.1 carpet pythons, 3 ATB, 1.1 climacophora, 1.1 Russian rats, 1.1 prasina, 1.1 speckled kings, 3.3.1 corns, 1.1.1 black rats, 1.1 savu, 1.1 Stimson's, 1 spotted python, 1.1 Boiga nigriceps, 3 Olive house snakes, 1 Sonoran mountain king, 0.1 Sinoloan milk snake, 1.1 Dione rat snake.
Old 12-22-15, 10:19 AM   #4
Bandit

We used to have a CB boa at work for years until we gave him to an ATB breeder. He never tolerated handling. I'm sure some individuals will eventually tolerate it, but he just never got to that level. I've been bitten by a lot of snakes and I usually have no problem reaching into a cage knowing that I may get bit, but that ATB never failed to make me nervous. First, because I knew I was going to get bit and he had quite some teeth on him. Second, because he always went for the face lol.

Again, you may very well get an individual that will tolerate handling. I'm just sharing my experience with you so that you can consider that the one you get may not ever chill out.
Old 01-04-16, 01:14 PM   #5
ArborealMonster

I think it is hard to generalize about snake personalities. Some of then can be calm from the very beginning some of them will calm down with age and some of them will be defensive till the end.
I would say that if you have experience with rock python you should be fine. ATB are just much more fragile snakes than rock python :P

I think ATB it is a very good choice for first snake if you will make them proper enclosure and educate yourself well and you are not scared to be bitten few times
Login to remove ads
Old 01-04-16, 03:26 PM   #6
yeloowtang

out of all the ones i had and some i still have, only one was nasty and never tolorated
being handled.. babies will always be nippy, it's in their nature.
I've sold a few and only have two now, two male , big guys too and one is tamer than a ball python..he's the type of snake that you can handle all day and wear as a necklace, the other one is almost as good but i still use caution with him.

I will start by saying that the handling part is only for us humans, your snake would be much happier to never be handled tame or not..

but with ATBs some are tame as a puppy, others not so much and will calm down, where others will simply never accept you handling them..
best option for you is to find one that is already tame, if not possible?? go for a CB and take your time working at it..

amazing snakes and as far as arboreal ones, they are the best choice for a beginer because they will tolorate the not so perfect conditions better..they need a bigger cage than what one would consider at first..

good luck in your search
Old 01-08-16, 05:23 PM   #7
lady_bug87
Forum Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to lady_bug87

All of mine are WC. They will all chew my face off. I think they're a really good snake to own if you want to get into arboreal keeping.