border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-19, 09:13 PM   #31
Nubs

Re: 20 long and 10!!!

I asked if I could get a hognose and she asked what it was. Rats! I wasn't gonna lie,and told her it was snake... Of course she said no. I will show show her some pics and videos tomorrow! They are quickly becoming my favorite snake!😀 How long do they get tops?
Old 01-27-19, 10:00 AM   #32
craigafrechette

I have a male hognose, he's awesome! He's almost fully grown at about 18". Females get much larger than males. They are really cool little snakes, but they can be really stubborn with feeding, especially males.

It's also very important to know that they are rear fanged and mildly venomous. So do your homework. Fortunately, they almost NEVER bite. They bluff like crazy, and strike with their mouths closed, but very, very rarely bite. They also have an extremely poor delivery system, so would need to latch on and chew in order to effectively release toxins. People who have sensitivities to bee stings and things like that can have some bad reactions, but most people just experience a little swelling.

Although I love hognose, it may not be the best choice for your situation.
Old 01-27-19, 11:57 AM   #33
Nubs

Hmmmm... Mildly venomous,huh? Well,that's to bad. That probably won't work then. Any other snakes you recommend?
Old 01-27-19, 02:49 PM   #34
MDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubs View Post
Hmmmm... Mildly venomous,huh? Well,that's to bad. That probably won't work then.
i wouldn't lead with that... remember, sometimes it's better to ask for forgiveness than for permission
Old 01-27-19, 04:37 PM   #35
Nubs

Haha! That's so funny!!!😂 But I showed my mom pics and videos of the lil hognose and she still said no. Oh well. That will be the first thing I get when I move out! LOL!!😂! But I know where your coming from with the forgiveness thing,because I'm not telling my mom how big pacman frogs get if I get one!😈 Or that I would like to feed it a f\t pinky one day... Or that they actually bite,and that's one of the reasons I want one! Do you like pacmans? If you got a frog would you get one?
Login to remove ads
Old 01-28-19, 08:31 AM   #36
craigafrechette

My two cents: don't add anything til you move out. Then you won't have restrictions and can get the animal you REALLY want rather than just filling a tank within somebody else's guidelines.
Old 01-28-19, 09:13 PM   #37
Nubs

That's true. I suppose you have a point,but I won't be moving out for at LEAST five years,and that's a long time! I would like to get more into caudates or lizards though,and would really like some marbled salamanders! But I've only seen three salamanders in pet stores in my life,two marbled salamanders in just pets,one spotted salamander in just pets and tiger salamanders in pet supplies plus. I like that I can handle geckos though,and you see them a lot more. Anyone have caudates?
Old 01-29-19, 01:27 PM   #38
craigafrechette

I promise you I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but something to think about is WHERE you'll be moving. If you have college plans, most dorms don't allow pets. Many apartments don't allow pets. Many roommates don't want to live with reptiles.

Just something to think about. I had to rehome my animals years ago (for personal reasons I'd be happy to share if you'd like) and let me tell you...that was HORRIBLE!!! I just don't want to see that happen to you and your animals.
Old 01-29-19, 07:18 PM   #39
Nubs

Yeah,I know,and your replies DO make a lot of sense and make me think about things in different ways. So thank you for that!😊 And nope,no college plans and no plans on moving til I'm married!!! Thanks for making me think,I think I'll hold off for now unless I (accidentally of course!&#128518 fall for something at the expo!!! I will spoil my current pets,especially my two hamsters because their life span is way too short.😢 Buuttt,if I did get mourning geckos in the future,what size terrarium would you recommend,and how many could fit in it max? Just wondering when I would have to start rehoming babies. Thank you!
Old 01-29-19, 11:27 PM   #40
craigafrechette

Ultimately, you're the only one who knows if now is a good time for you to add a new pet. I'm not at all saying you shouldn't.

I can't help you with the info on the geckos, I know next to nothing about them.
Login to remove ads
Old 01-30-19, 11:47 AM   #41
kudzu

Going just on what I've read, it seems 12"L x 12"W x 18"H is a standard size for 4-6 mourning geckos. You can set your 10 gallon on end and add glass or acrylic front. (By front I mean what would have been the top in normal orientation.) There's plenty of info online, including videos, of DIY tank conversions. If you want to keep the babies you'll have to expand into that 20 long.

If you're handy, or just interesting in trying a project, you could actually use some acrylic sheets and silicone and fab a height extension for either your 10 g or 20 g L, boosting those to 18" or more inches tall.

Mourning geckos do need a good bit of humidity so a screen top would be a challenge. There are ways around that, but most seem to feel glass or acrylic is a much easier solution.
Old 01-30-19, 02:07 PM   #42
Nubs

Thank you! And I am aware of high humidity,but that's not too new because I keep salamanders. Would a 20 high be ok too?
Old 01-31-19, 09:05 AM   #43
kudzu

Sure, 20" high would work. And if you've got the space, might as well go for 24".

For babies, shorter might be better. Though that's just speculation on my part.
Old 01-31-19, 11:33 AM   #44
Nubs

Thanks! Do you guys know why I haven't gotten any replies on either of my questions on pangea? What do you mean by 24" ?
Old 02-04-19, 11:06 AM   #45
Nubs

I have another question. Please do not bash,say it's too small for everything. For my 10-11 year old cousins birthday last year I got her a 5.5 zilla critter terrarium,eco earth and a sloped hermit crab water dish. What amphibians\reptiles can live in there? She wanted a salamander but then she kind of wanted a gecko so that she could handle it. I'm not completely sure,but I think snakes are an option. So please list reptiles\amphibians that she can keep in there! I've already looked into hermit crabs,but they need at least a ten gallon,so please help me out!
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread