border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Morelia Spilota

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-15, 05:42 PM   #1
davidospina15

Exclamation Help getting my carpet to eat!!!!

Hello i need help getting my bay carpet to eat. Ive had him ever since march 14 and he just ate a rat pup right before i bought him so i know he was eating. he is a 100% coastal jaguar carpet python so he has a little wobble. He shed on march 28 so i understand why he didnt eat before that plus hes been digesting. I have then tried frozen thawed live and nothing has worked ive gone from rat pups to rat fuzzys to see if that would help and it didn't. He bites the food but wont wrap around it and will just leave it laying there. Ive left it overnight to see if hell eat it it but wont. Ive tried cupping also to see if that would help and after 8 hours of cupping he still hasnt eaten but continues to bite the food. i dont know what to.
Login to remove ads
Old 04-25-15, 11:25 AM   #2
shaunyboy
slainte mhath

Re: Help getting my carpet to eat!!!!

imo your attempting to feed too much,in such a short period of time...

give it time to settle in mate

only go near the tank once per week,to quickly and quietly change the water

make sure the tank has plenty,branches,fake plants,hides,etc to make the snake feel secure

i would attempt feeding once every 10 days

i would feed after it gets dark,using a weak lighted torch as my only light,don't shine the light in the tank,use it so you can see what your doing

make sure the prey is heated

what are your hot and cool end temperatures ?

could you post a picture of your set up

cheers shaun
Old 04-25-15, 06:13 PM   #3
pinefamily

Re: Help getting my carpet to eat!!!!

+1 for everything Shaun said. The only thing I would add, in my experience, coastals will often take a mouse, but refuse a rat. If that works, next feed you can then rub a mouse over a rat to scent it, and give it the rat.
1.1 Diamond pythons, 1.1 Gammon Ranges pythons, 1.1 coastal pythons, 2.0 Murray Darling pythons, 1.1 albino Northwestern pythons, 1.0 spotted python, sand monitor, Spencers monitor, yellow spotted monitor, 1.0 leatherback bearded dragon, eastern water dragon, red spiny tailed monitor.
Closed Thread