border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Morelia Spilota

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-13-15, 09:02 PM   #16
jobu84

Re: Mother hen syndrome. Advice?

For the 30 gallon should I use the 24.25, 12.5, 24.75 in. tank, or the 48.25, 12.75, 12.87 in. tank? Which do you guys think would be better?
Old 04-14-15, 03:01 AM   #17
millertime89
Forum Moderator

Is 24.75 the height? If so, the first. If not, the second.
Old 04-14-15, 07:25 AM   #18
jobu84

Yea, they're in order of length, depth, height.
Old 04-14-15, 07:36 AM   #19
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Clark View Post
Also, don't worry too much about the feeding part right now. Most people who acquire new additions to their collection quarantine them for at least 30 to 90 days. I know this is your only reptile right now so things are a little different. I would be more concerned about examining him for any signs of illness over the next two weeks or so. Give him some type of quarantine period to be safe. It's not like he is a little hatchling or real baby snake at all. He can tolerate a bit of a fast right now. Make it a point to observe him at night when he is more likely to venture out of the hide. Good luck.

I may have read this wrong but in quarantine you still feed the animals on a regular basis.
Old 04-16-15, 12:37 PM   #20
jobu84

Here guys is the 30g. Let me know if you see anything thats off. Also, any ideas on how to increase humidity in a tank this size? Cuz the water under the heat source doesn't seem to do much. Let me know please.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0489.jpg (23.9 KB, 38 views)
Login to remove ads
Old 04-16-15, 12:55 PM   #21
SnoopySnake

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobu84 View Post
Here guys is the 30g. Let me know if you see anything thats off. Also, any ideas on how to increase humidity in a tank this size? Cuz the water under the heat source doesn't seem to do much. Let me know please.
Cover all of the screen (except under light) with aluminum foil, damp towel or saran wrap
Old 04-17-15, 10:25 AM   #22
jobu84

Good news, humidity is getting better. Also I gave her a fuzzy last night, thinking that it was best to try even though she probably wouldn't eat it. I checked this morning around 5 am to see if she did and to no avail, it was still there. I get off work at 9am and takes bout an hour to get home so I figured, no harm in leaving it there for a couple more hours. Turns out, when i got home and looked at the tank to change the bulb, there was something missing. I was like... I'm pretty sure didn't take it out (cuz I don't have the best memory) and I looked around the corner to see if it fell, cuz the humidity gauge fell (usually happens when she climbs on top of it). When I asked my bf if he fiddled with the tank, he said no. And then I didn't see Minion at all, she wasn't in her normal hiding spot and I got worried she got out (though i think impossible with the clips on). After a min of panic, i looked in the corner near the other foliage and there she was curled up underneath. She's so sneaky, and I saw the bulge in her belly and I cannot describe how giddy I was that she actually ate the fuzzy. I was so set that she wouldn't eat it because of how many people say that their snakes can wait 4 weeks and so on. Finals are coming up and I am so happy this stress was lifted off my shoulders lol. Ironic too considering I gotta write a paper on stress lol. Thanks guys for all the help and I'm sure I'll post many pics, questions, and concerns on the forum later on.
Old 04-17-15, 02:33 PM   #23
millertime89
Forum Moderator

Congrats! That's awesome when a new one eats.
Old 04-25-15, 11:04 AM   #24
shaunyboy
slainte mhath

i change my carpets water once per week

you can dangle pre heated prey at the hide entrance,and your carpet will most likely,hit it and drag it inside the hide

put some fake plants into the tank,it will give cover and added security for the carpet

a few branches,hides,etc will also help mate

cheers shaun
Old 04-26-15, 12:38 PM   #25
Albert Clark

With that 100% cypress mulch you shouldn't have to mist too much. Remember carpet pythons like to climb so try to include a type of branch or crossbar soon. Anything besides a wooden climbing tool would also be good.
Login to remove ads
Old 04-26-15, 12:52 PM   #26
Albert Clark

In acquiring new additions to your collection, the quarantine period is what is important. Feeding a new snake can wait for a week to ten days or so to facilitate acclimating.
Closed Thread