border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > General Information Forums > Food For Thought Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-13-18, 06:43 PM   #1
scales.jp

Frozen thawed question

I know that wild monitor lizards and other reptiles thrive on decomposing carcasses, but how about feeding your snakes with anything that isn't quite "fresh"?

I'm asking because yesterday there was a mix up with my delivery of frozen rats, and they were sent out via standard shipping instead of chilled (delivery time was 24 hours door to door). Whatever the reason, they were not in a frozen state when they arrived.

I was a bit (very!) annoyed as I had paid extra for the chilled service, but as the rats were soft and my snakes were out and about searching for food, I decided to take a couple out to use before storing the rest in the freezer. It wasn't until after feeding that I began to think about whether or not there could be a health risk for my snakes.

I'll contact the supplier today to find out exactly what happened (they also sent the package to my home address, after I had specifically requested it be delivered to my work address).
Login to remove ads
Old 10-14-18, 02:59 AM   #2
scales.jp

Re: Frozen thawed question

Update on the above:
I contacted the supplier today and he told me he would send out a new order ASAP, and that I should dispose of the previously delivered rodents. Seems it was the mistake of the delivery company (or so he said).

I'm annoyed with myself for not realising what had happened sooner. I suppose the only consolation is that a couple of the larger rats were still partially frozen when I checked them, so there must have still been some degree of coldness inside the package.

Last edited by scales.jp; 10-14-18 at 03:06 AM..
Old 10-14-18, 04:06 AM   #3
Andy_G
Forum Moderator

I'm willing to bet that most of the frozen feeders most of us order have been previously thawed. If they're still at least cold, I wouldn't personally have an issue with feeding them.
Old 10-14-18, 05:17 AM   #4
scales.jp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_G View Post
I'm willing to bet that most of the frozen feeders most of us order have been previously thawed.
After this experience, it wouldn't surprise me.

I've heard that leaving rodents out at room temperature is inadvisable as bacteria can multiply rapidly, so I usually thaw my feeders in the fridge overnight and then warm them up in hot water. In this case they were out of refrigeration and in transit for 24 hours, which was my only concern.

What would be the likely outcome of feeding something a bit too "ripe"? I imagine diarrhea or possibly vomiting.
Old 10-14-18, 10:21 AM   #5
craigafrechette

Quote:
I'm willing to bet that most of the frozen feeders most of us order have been previously thawed. If they're still at least cold, I wouldn't personally have an issue with feeding them.
I have to disagree. It just doesn't make sense to freeze them, defrost them, re-freeze them and ship them.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying.
Login to remove ads
Old 10-15-18, 04:11 AM   #6
Andy_G
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
I have to disagree. It just doesn't make sense to freeze them, defrost them, re-freeze them and ship them.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying.
I think you may be. I don't mean that they would be purposefully thawed out to feed something and then refrozen to sell, but instead something is thawed in transit and then resold, especially with companies that source and resell, which many do. It certainly happens.
Old 10-15-18, 04:32 AM   #7
Andy_G
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scales.jp View Post
After this experience, it wouldn't surprise me.

I've heard that leaving rodents out at room temperature is inadvisable as bacteria can multiply rapidly, so I usually thaw my feeders in the fridge overnight and then warm them up in hot water. In this case they were out of refrigeration and in transit for 24 hours, which was my only concern.

What would be the likely outcome of feeding something a bit too "ripe"? I imagine diarrhea or possibly vomiting.
I do what you do, but when I had a larger collection everything was thawed at room temp for my convenience and nothing fell ill. Everything in size from pinkie mice to small rabbits (different thaw times of course). You have to keep in mind that snakes will on occasion eat carrion in the wild with no issue, but that's normally a last resort for a wild snake. Unless the snakes in your collection have an underlying health issue, it shouldn't cause any problem to do what you are asking about, but of course it would be bad practice to feed anything that smells bad or has become bloated from decomposiition. Nothing wrong with erring on the side of caution even if no danger is really present, as these are after all (as far as I am concerned) a part of the family.
Old 10-15-18, 05:13 AM   #8
scales.jp

Quote:
I don't mean that they would be purposefully thawed out to feed something and then refrozen to sell, but instead something is thawed in transit and then resold, especially with companies that source and resell, which many do.
When I contacted the supplier to find out what had happened, he asked me to repackage and return the thawed rodents. He wasn't at all apologetic, and it did cross my mind that he might want to resell them. It wasn't until later that he emailed and told me to dispose of them.

Quote:
You have to keep in mind that snakes will on occasion eat carrion in the wild with no issue, but that's normally a last resort for a wild snake. Unless the snakes in your collection have an underlying health issue, it shouldn't cause any problem to do what you are asking about...
Thanks! I was wondering whether or not snakes ever scavenged for food, as I'm pretty sure my most recently acquired python would eat whatever I put in front of her!
Closed Thread