View Single Post
Old 12-21-19, 08:08 AM   #2
Tsubaki
Forum Moderator

Re: Building a new custom enclosure for our red-tailed boss.

I've used both plenty, currently still using 2 pvc's as temporary tanks so let me list you what I found to be the ups and downs:

PVC Pro's:
-Easy to clean
-Easy to treat animals for whatever.
-Look nice without needing to be painted etc, but look very sterile.
-Waterproof on its own
-Lightweight and easy to move

PVC Cons
-Expensive (pvc plating around here is very expensive, might be a local issue, ready made pvc's are heavily overpriced)
-Hard to heat, hold no heat. Need to be insulted, or be in a snakeroom that is heated to ambient temp.
-Can melt/warp, close heatsources can cause material to warp or even melt.
-Not easily repaired, often have to take the entire thing apart.
-Not very strong, large enclosures need supports especially if you want to stack them.
-Hard to work with the material in my personal experience.

Wood Pro's
-Cheaper, depending on the type of wood you it fits in most budgets.
-Can look great if you use a nice type of wood, needs a bit more work for cheaper woods though.(Also depending on taste)
-Sturdy, less support needed.
-Easy to heat and hold heat very well.
-Not too difficult to repair if broken, also fairly hard to break.
-Wood is easy to work with and forgiving (A gap or dent is easily fixed)

Wood Con's
-Need waterproofing
-Depending on how the wood is treated, might be harder to clean (Epoxy fixes this, but isn't cheap)
-If wood is not fully treated/sealed mites etc can hide more easily.
-Heavy, large enclosures need to be build in place.

I prefer my wood enclosures to a point where I'm making them for all my snakes, my energy bill is going down with each pvc I change to wood since they're in an otherwise unheated room(attic). The pvc's I have to wrap insulation around in wintertime or my bill will explode. I heat my wood enclosures with just RHP's and that works great, my PVC's have heating cable all along the bottom, and a ceramic heater that often has to help. I did seal all my wood enclosures on the inside with many layers of epoxy, essentially made them plastic on the inside. Saves a lot of time with cleaning since its so smooth and nothing really sticks to it.