View Single Post
Old 01-26-15, 02:54 PM   #20
Jacktar

Re: 11 year old Pseudotropheus interruptus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pareeeee View Post
No, it's a Malawi cichlid. 15 years is amazing! I don't know if Blue will live that long, his belly looks hollow even though he eats lots every day. I think the old age is starting to catch up with him.

@fishingfool, he's in a 10gal.

Years ago when I had my cichlid tank, I threw him in a 5gal and intended to get rid of him because of his extreme aggressiveness. Once he was by himself his personality changed - he became extremely tame and trusting, and that's when I decided I would keep him.

Before he went blind he used to get excited every time I entered the room, would jump out of the water to grab the food from my hand, and he even trusted me enough to let me "hold" him, and let me lift him out of the water (I would only do it for a couple seconds).
His longevity has surprised me but he could live 25 years. I had him in a community tank when he was a baby but the other fish ganged up on him and completely chewed his fins off. He was basically just a torso. I put him in a 5 gallon tank by himself, thinking he wouldn't make it but he came back with a vengeance. When he healed and gained some size, I put him in a 20 high and eventually a 55 gallon. He was cool as a community fish for a while but eventually started eating everything including my brichardi, yellow labrodichromis, tropheus moori, even a large plecostomus. I recently started feeding him live fish and he's unexpectedly put on even more size. He has a bad eye but other than that he's a healthy old fish
Login to remove ads