Thread: Rats
View Single Post
Old 10-05-10, 11:00 AM   #19
annieb_mice

Send a message via MSN to annieb_mice Send a message via Yahoo to annieb_mice
Re: Rats

Just saw your website, Emma, and I want to congratulate you on putting your rats FIRST and not the almighty trophy, ribbon, bragging rights, ect! You are right, there are a lot of people who look at rats as simply food... not caring much about their comfort, quality of life, ect... why bother, they're just snake food. I've kept rats as pets since I was a little girl and am always amazed at just how smart and friendly they are! I breed my rats for two things -- temperament and health. Everything else (colours, markings, ect) comes second. I have to work with these animals every day, and do NOT want to be bitten by a temperamental mom. I also want my animals to be as healthy as possible... the healthier my breeders are, the healthier and stronger their babies will be and the few vet bills I will have. (Yes, I do take my rats to the vet if I see any problems.)
As you see, many of the people on this forum, and other reptile forums, really do care about their pets and the quality of food their pets are getting. Considering some snakes are well over $1000 each, and some are over $10,000, it's worth it to have good food going into them!
I really do appreciate the time and courage it took for you to come onto a reptile forum and share your knowledge with us! Thank you! It's so nice to see a pet rat breeder try to out feeder breeders!