View Single Post
Old 03-20-18, 02:44 PM   #3
IDvsEGO

Re: A Curious Possible Owner

First off, good for you for being able to look back at past attempts and learn from them. It sounds like you are putting thought into this next possible step and I commend that. Good job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moop515 View Post
But ye I am looking for an animal that is within that budget, is active in it's cage, does not need much space, can be handled easily, and is tolerant of beginner mistakes. I am inquiring about Thamnophis here but I will hopefully be getting info about other snakes with a similar prompt in other threads.
Corn snake (or any other colubrid like milk/king/rat) would be a pretty good choice. They can be squirmy little buggers when young but grow into a snake that is neat to handle and own. Plus they are pretty hardy and the care requirements are not difficult. They come in at a good price point too, especially if there are any reptile shows like Repticon near you. Plenty of color and pattern choices too. I usually recommend a ball python to a young person looking for a first snake but they don't move too much in the enclosure usually. One of mine does though. He likes to soak in his water and can be seen peeking out of his hides at you occasionally. They are super mellow to handle though and you can just sit with one on you for long periods of time. A corn will usually be trying to move most of the time you are handling it. They are both very neat but pretty different. MY 19 year old daughter wanted a snake to keep in her dorm and originally wanted a king or milk. After handling a few and then handling a ball she decided to get a ball. With all the friends around the ball just seemed like a better choice.
1.0 Cinnamon Ball Python (Wedjet) | 0.1 Arabesque Red Tail Boa (Gorgon) | 0.1 Albino Honduran Milk snake (Scylla) | 0.0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa (Iris) | 0.0.2 Mexican Black Kingsnake (Destiny & Chico) | 0.0.1 Brooks Kingsnake (Mikey) | 0.0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa (Jangles) | 0.0.1 Crested Gecko (Squirt) | 0.1 Tangerine Leopard Gecko (Golly)