Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > sSNAKESs.com Forums > sSNAKESs.com

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-12-04, 11:49 PM   #1
Rikki
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Rikki Send a message via Yahoo to Rikki
Forum Software

You should go with Invision Power Board fourm software ove vB its much more professional and easier to use. An example can be found here .
Just an idea!
Login to remove ads
Old 08-12-04, 11:51 PM   #2
Rikki
Banned

And seeing this tread it looks like youc ould use cheaper software as well.

http://www.ssnakess.com/forums/showt...threadid=10080
Old 08-13-04, 01:39 AM   #3
Jeff_Favelle

Send a message via AIM to Jeff_Favelle Send a message via MSN to Jeff_Favelle Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff_Favelle
I think the site is just fine. Name another reptile site that has nearly 6,000 members and even 1/4 of the traffic that this site has.
Old 08-13-04, 03:10 AM   #4
hhw

Now, I realize people are usually reluctant towards change. They are likely to think what they have now is find, and therefore the best. However, when forced to adopt a new learning curve they may find a new, different solution to be superior.

With that said, I don't believe Invision Power Board is such a solution. At first glance, it just looks like a poor knockoff of phpbb2 to me. However, I have hardly looked into it in any detail.

Instead of just stating what might be better, try explaining why it would be better. Specifically mention what the disadvantages of the current software is, and how it is dealt with in the software you are suggesting, as well as additional advantages.

Now, I am in no way speaking for the administration. However, like any normal people, I'm sure they can be reasoned with. The only question is, are your reasons compelling enough?
Old 08-13-04, 06:32 AM   #5
Invictus

Send a message via MSN to Invictus
The reasons are invalid right off the bat simply because VB (which SUCKS, by the way, both in terms of performance AND scaleability) requires Microsoft web hosting in order to run, and believe me, PHP dances circles around VB, and unix hosting dances circles around MS hosting. MS web hosting is completely insecure, vulnerable to viruses, easy as hell to hack, and slower than molasses in January.

The moral of this story - being a slave to MicroSloth only makes your BBS slower, and more vulnerable to attacks. MicroSloth sucks, always has, always will.
Login to remove ads
Old 08-13-04, 08:29 AM   #6
latazyo

Quote:
Powered by: vBulletin Version 2.3.2
aren't we using vB now, Ken???

so you're supporting new software?

I'm confused by your first sentence on whether or not you support new software or not :beer:
Old 08-13-04, 09:22 AM   #7
djc3674

Quote:
I'm confused by your first sentence on whether or not you support new software or not :beer
I believe it was loud and clear!
Old 08-13-04, 10:14 AM   #8
Bartman

Send a message via ICQ to Bartman
I think its just fine. No changes needed. If its not broken, dont fix it.

And as jeff said, we have nearly 6,000 members, growing strong and have so much traffic its amazing.
Old 08-13-04, 10:18 AM   #9
Invictus

Send a message via MSN to Invictus
latazyo - I'm looking at my URL window, and it clearly says showthread.php .... that doesn't look like ASP to me, which is the web implementation of VB. :P

vBulletin doesn't necessarily mean Visual Basic.

So to clarify... I'm AGAINST changing the software being used on ssnakess.com. I'm all for upgrading the CPU and the memory though, hehehehe
Old 08-13-04, 10:45 AM   #10
Rikki
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff_Favelle
I think the site is just fine. Name another reptile site that has nearly 6,000 members and even 1/4 of the traffic that this site has.
Didnt see any reptiles sites on IPB yet but im sure there are. Alot of peope have very active IPB forums like below, which means they must like the software alot.
http://soompi.com/forums/
http://www.neowin.net/forum/
http://www.bzpower.com/forum/

The forum software was made before phpBB and is top rated even over vB. Its was just an idea though
Login to remove ads
Old 08-13-04, 02:08 PM   #11
Matt_K

I take it you're pushing all these changes cause you're selling this stuff?? Im not to believe that this is an indirect advertisment for what you have for sale is it?????
Old 08-13-04, 02:33 PM   #12
Cruciform

It's kind of tacky to come to someone's forum, tell them that they should consider using this "much more professional" software, and neglect to mention your affiliation to said software.

Unless the Rikki who is the "IPS Coordinator" is someone else.

It's not very "professional" to advertise your product in someone else's forum without their approval.
Old 08-13-04, 02:44 PM   #13
Rikki
Banned

No, im not the Rikki on IPS..... I dont sell the software either, i just think it would look better. So no its not my product
Old 08-13-04, 02:57 PM   #14
Matt_K

So it wasn't you that posted the ad for this??

Quote:
Im not sure if this should be posted in the ads forum or what. If so please move it and im very sorry.....

I own a web hosting company, we sell the top software on the web known as cPanel and Fantastico. With our hosting you can do so many things its amazing. Its great if you have an online company or business. You have things such as forums, chat rooms, web sites (premade and custom), customer support tickets for your company, web mail and much more. Most people will pay up to $70 per month for this hosting. If you would like to view the full feature list for cPanel please click here . To view the full feature list for Fantastico please see below
Just curious.. I know nothing about the hosting and other stuff involved with sites, so i may be wrong and this isn't an ad for the same stuff..
Old 08-13-04, 03:30 PM   #15
Cruciform

Interesting. cPanel and Fantastico both rock. I've been mucking around with them on my Crosswinds account. It took a lot of fooling around to get TikiWiki running in my account and then they installed Fantastico and made it available to users. Getting the new Tiki in place took about 2 minutes, and no more permission issues. It's not the most recent build, but for the sake of stability, it's nice to be able to automate such a thing.

Basically cPanel and Fantastico take the pain out of doing things that you'd normally need shell access or higher privs to do. So if you're paying for webhosting and want to install certain scripts you'd either have to pay for the staff to do it, be out of luck, or set it up incorrectly (with bad permissions) and possibly leave yourself open to security exploits. With automation the hosting site doesn't have to worry about you having access to things you shouldn't and it's able to put the apps in place for you.

cPanel's got a lot of useful features for analyzing site traffic, configuring domain email and FTP access, shopping carts, databases, and piles of other things.

Neither are directly related to Invision, but you could install it via Fantastico, or install phpBB2 of YaBBSE. (Fantastico offers these three bulletin boards for quick installs).

So for someone that does webhosting, and wants to make life easier for their users (and the support desk) these are both great tools. But since sSnakeSs isn't a webhosting company, neither would really be of any use.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread