sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum (https://www.ssnakess.com/forums/index.php)
-   Aquatic forum (https://www.ssnakess.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   My reef aquarium (https://www.ssnakess.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104988)

IW17 04-11-14 05:58 PM

My reef aquarium

3 Attachment(s)
Figured I'd join the party and post some pics of my reef tank. Hope you enjoy!

sharthun 04-11-14 06:27 PM

Re: My reef aquarium

Quote:

Originally Posted by IW17 (Post 913534)
Figured I'd join the party and post some pics of my reef tank. Hope you enjoy!

Beautiful! Love the morray!

Teal 04-11-14 06:40 PM

Awesome!! I cannot WAIT to have eels.

It looks like your fish are still edible size for the snowflake... have you had any issues with that? That's the only reason my boyfriend won't let me get any in the reef tank.

IW17 04-11-14 10:35 PM

The only issue I had was with my dwarf fuzzy lionfish. I have a cleaner shrimp in with the eel and they are best buds. Not really but they have a strong natural relationship with is cool to watch. Anytime my lion would come near the shrimp the eel would chase him to the other side of the tank and that would be the end of it. Well one day I came home from work and the lionfish was dead. Side was split open. My assumption is that he got a little to close and the eel finally had enough. Other than that he's been the perfect neighbor. No other issues at all.

Teal 04-12-14 12:11 AM

That's good to know, thank you!

jpsteele80 04-16-14 08:44 AM

Beautiful set up, I've always wanted to do a salt water tank but I have heard salt water is hard to take care of, plus I know absolutely nothing about fish

Teal 04-16-14 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpsteele80 (Post 914227)
Beautiful set up, I've always wanted to do a salt water tank but I have heard salt water is hard to take care of, plus I know absolutely nothing about fish

I always heard that as well, but I thought "How hard can it be, really?" ... Come to find out, it really IS hard. The animals are so fragile!

jpsteele80 04-16-14 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teal (Post 914247)
I always heard that as well, but I thought "How hard can it be, really?" ... Come to find out, it really IS hard. The animals are so fragile!

That's probably exactly why I haven't done it

SnoopySnake 04-16-14 12:04 PM

This is awesome! I love that red fish:p

Akuma223 04-16-14 12:32 PM

Ooo nice eel! I plan to get a tank with a snowflake eel and a chain-link eel when I have my own place and the cash, I absolutely adore eels!

Kera 04-16-14 12:55 PM

I always love saltwater tanks. Awesome. :)

mmarchl23 04-16-14 03:58 PM

Did you have any trouble with the lion trying to eat the other fish? I've been looking to add a dwarf lion to my tank. I've read a few places that they can eat fish up to their own size and tend to do so readily. I'd like to avoid using my fish as accidental feeders.

IW17 04-19-14 10:38 PM

No not really. Lions are not Aggressive fish by nature, just opportunistic. As long as the fish won't easily fit in their mouth you won't have any trouble. But understand that they can fit considerably more into their mouth than you might think. I had larger fish in the tank at the time I had the lion in there. Plus dwarf fuzzy lionfish are only about 6" fully grown. If you go with the larger species you would really have to be careful.