sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Boa Forums > General Boa Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-05-20, 10:26 AM   #1
Bci

Boa constrictor new bioactive terrarium

Hello everyone
I'm in the planning stages of the new bioactive vivarium I creating for my awesome boa.
I'm planning on it being 6'L x 3'H x 2'W with sliding front doors

The bottom 12" will be a baffle wall for the 2" drain layer and 10" of soil so the glass doors will be 24" tall viewing.

I'm going to be getting an RHP for the ambient temps and will continue to use her CHE for basking on a timer for day time

There will be 1 or 2 6' long tube or led not sure yet for plant growth and even tho not required I'm really wanting to provide Uvb for her.

On the cool side against the front about 1/4 from the end will be a 16x16x12(H) water area for her to soak it this will be about 10 gallons of water that I want to plumb down to a sump to increase the volume. I'm going to plumb extra drains inside the water area and in the drainage area to make changing water very easy from the tank and sump(has to be changed often she loves to go poo. And to give lots of filtration to her water as well as make it no still stirring there.

All this will be made from 3/4 plywood and sealed with pond armor/shield

I'm posting all this for you guys to follow along and would really appreciate and help/advice anyone has for me I'm just trying to make the best area possible for her. She is about 4' long now. I'm going with 6' because of space restrictions in my apartment but in time will be moved to 8' long with same style set up

Tha k you everyone and please leave your comments it's been a lot trying to plan all this
Login to remove ads
Old 05-05-20, 11:54 AM   #2
thealien

Re: Boa constrictor new bioactive terrarium

Interested to see how it comes out.

HERE IS MY ENCLOSURE I RECENTLY FINISHED
Old 05-05-20, 05:13 PM   #3
Bci

Wow that's a great enclosure and really nice looking boa! I tried finding some of that PVC sheets but couldn't in my area and costs were to much to get it shipped. That's why I chose to use plywood and pond armour it has really good reviews for waterproofing almost anything and lots others that used it on there tanks
Old 05-05-20, 05:25 PM   #4
thealien

I was going back and forth between the 3/4" PVC sheets and Birch plywood. The PVC was close to $180 per sheet and I needed 2. The plywood was about 1/2 of that. The wood weighed twice as much and I didn't really have an open area for the pond sealer and polyurethane installation. The weight was the final deciding factor.

I have a local lumber yard that stocks all kinds of PVC sheets, boards, trim. I paid them to cut it in 1/2 so I only had about 4 cuts to do at my location.

Looking forward to seeing your progress.
Closed Thread