Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Venomous Forums > General Venomous Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-05-16, 06:17 PM   #16
aaron_cg

Re: Any Crotalus horridus Keepers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinD View Post
@Aaron, someone I know didn't remove the keys and her snake worked out how to get out of the enclosure by moving the locking tabs from inside lol
I plan on removing the keys, I just have to wait for my Key Locker to get in. Then, I only have to keep one key on my keychain.

The Keys are only a redundancy as well, as the enclosures have 3 spinning locks. I added the keys once this happend.

Escaped king cobra found alive in Fort Bend County | khou.com

This guy uses the same enclosures I do, and had an escape. Since then I know he re-enforced them to ensure they are escape proof. And please, anyone who see's this, please don't bad mouth him. He is a member of my local group and he is still to this day upset that it happened. Took all the immediate steps he needed to (alerting game wardens, sheriff, and local PD and getting other herpers out to help locate the missing animal). He knows he put his permit at risk by doing the right thing, but did it in order to help protect this hobby, and have more people on the lookout in hopes of making sure someone didn't get hurt.
Old 12-05-16, 07:23 PM   #17
sattva

I did a trade with a guy who had about 40 snakes... Two of them being Albino Western Diamondback rattlesnakes... I have wanted one every sense...such a beautiful animal... I will take me years, if ever, to talk my wife into it...
Leon- 1.0 Lemon Ball, aka Russo Het White Diamond Ball Python... Crystal's boyfriend...
Old 12-05-16, 07:36 PM   #18
Bandit

I've never been dead set on keeping hots. My girlfriend didn't like snakes when we started dating, but she's come to like them since. She stood her ground on the "nothing venomous" rule for a while. She then said if I wanted to get something venomous it was fine. I was surprised, because it wasn't solicited at all. However, she's only okay with the "less dangerous" venomous snakes (whatever those are, in her mind). The only venomous snakes I've ever really wanted to keep are eyelash vipers. They're still on the list of snakes she's not okay with though, at least for now.
Old 12-06-16, 07:31 AM   #19
Andy_G
Forum Moderator

I'd love to get into them if I didn't have little kids.
Old 12-06-16, 07:45 AM   #20
MartinD

I would also like to get into 'hots', preferably Dendroaspis and Bitis, absolutely gorgeous snakes.
Old 12-06-16, 08:43 AM   #21
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron_cg View Post
I plan on removing the keys, I just have to wait for my Key Locker to get in. Then, I only have to keep one key on my keychain.

The Keys are only a redundancy as well, as the enclosures have 3 spinning locks. I added the keys once this happend.

Escaped king cobra found alive in Fort Bend County | khou.com

This guy uses the same enclosures I do, and had an escape. Since then I know he re-enforced them to ensure they are escape proof. And please, anyone who see's this, please don't bad mouth him. He is a member of my local group and he is still to this day upset that it happened. Took all the immediate steps he needed to (alerting game wardens, sheriff, and local PD and getting other herpers out to help locate the missing animal). He knows he put his permit at risk by doing the right thing, but did it in order to help protect this hobby, and have more people on the lookout in hopes of making sure someone didn't get hurt.
I'm glad the person took the necessary steps. I hope his permit wasn't revoked for this mistake. No reason to bad mouth him because mistakes do happen and at least he owned up to it and it wasn't one of those "cobras found in a apartment building loose." With no owner.

I will say though, that this is why people (not saying you or anyone here) need to really look at their decision to keep hots as extremely serious. I've seen far too many cavalier attitudes when it comes to keeping them because "they do it right". Yet someone else who "does it right" made a mistake.
Old 12-06-16, 06:46 PM   #22
aaron_cg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_S View Post
I'm glad the person took the necessary steps. I hope his permit wasn't revoked for this mistake. No reason to bad mouth him because mistakes do happen and at least he owned up to it and it wasn't one of those "cobras found in a apartment building loose." With no owner.

I will say though, that this is why people (not saying you or anyone here) need to really look at their decision to keep hots as extremely serious. I've seen far too many cavalier attitudes when it comes to keeping them because "they do it right". Yet someone else who "does it right" made a mistake.

Luckily he didn't receive a whole lot of backlash. And yes, 100% lesson to be learned here. Anyone who says it "won't happen to them" needs to pay attention. This guy here is second only to Andy Maddox (some people know who he is. He is a big name in Texas) for my local area in his knowledge and skill with keeping hots.

If there is a chance it can happen, you better plan on it happening. And from there figure out every way possible to stop it. Hence the extra locks on my enclosures.
Old 12-07-16, 12:39 PM   #23
eminart

I just remembered one of the main reasons why I've never pursued hots further - Isn't there an insurance issue? I believe I read that either or both health insurance or home insurance can refuse to pay in the event of an accident. I mean, I'm a very very careful person, but not having the security of insurance would probably make it not worth it to me.

But, on a related note, I just got this for my birthday. Great read, so far, although I just started it.

“...the old ones ... knew in their bones... that death exists, that all life kills to eat, that all lives end, that energy goes on. They knew that humans are participants, not spectators.” -- Stephen Bodio, On the Edge of the Wild
Old 12-07-16, 04:54 PM   #24
KrokadilyanGuy3

Send a message via AIM to KrokadilyanGuy3 Send a message via Yahoo to KrokadilyanGuy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron_cg View Post
Luckily he didn't receive a whole lot of backlash. And yes, 100% lesson to be learned here. Anyone who says it "won't happen to them" needs to pay attention. This guy here is second only to Andy Maddox (some people know who he is. He is a big name in Texas) for my local area in his knowledge and skill with keeping hots.

If there is a chance it can happen, you better plan on it happening. And from there figure out every way possible to stop it. Hence the extra locks on my enclosures.
Not going to say the King owner's name but his situation was literally a freak accident, especially with how wet it was over there in their area. Luckily Andy was there and got hands on the snake. Not so sure the same outcome would've happened had the wardens been there without help. He did have locks on its enclosure if I do recall correctly.
Old 12-07-16, 06:24 PM   #25
aaron_cg

Hey, your in my area! Awesome guy and very humble. Wish more people were like him.
Old 12-08-16, 01:56 AM   #26
KrokadilyanGuy3

Send a message via AIM to KrokadilyanGuy3 Send a message via Yahoo to KrokadilyanGuy3

Yeah, moved here almost a yr ago from Florida. Actually known Andy since back when he was in high school and I was deeper in the reptile scene.

Definately a good dude. Wouldve gotten one of his kings if I hadn't gotten hit by a car and wasted my money on medical bills back in october.
Old 12-08-16, 06:20 PM   #27
aaron_cg

My wife had to stop me from picking up one of his hatchlings that was flaring up at me. All the others ignored me, but this one was just being a prick, so of course I wanted to take him home, but the wife vetoed that.