border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > General Information Forums > Food For Thought Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-24-15, 10:18 AM   #16
lady_bug87
Forum Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to lady_bug87
Re: feeding in tank or feeding box

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjhill001 View Post
Fancy. What lives in there?
Old 04-24-15, 10:20 AM   #17
jjhill001

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady_bug87 View Post
Fancy. What lives in there?
My Bairds Ratsnakes. They are just 5.5 gallon tanks for now. The female was starting some nose rubbing so I put black aquarium background around three sides and it really seems to have calmed her down plus it actually looks nicer.
Old 04-24-15, 10:21 AM   #18
millertime89
Forum Moderator

Looks good.
Old 04-24-15, 10:23 AM   #19
lady_bug87
Forum Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to lady_bug87

Quote:
My Bairds Ratsnakes. They are just 5.5 gallon tanks for now. The female was starting some nose rubbing so I put black aquarium background around three sides and it really seems to have calmed her down plus it actually looks nicer.
ah ok! I've never kept rat snakes
Old 04-24-15, 10:26 AM   #20
jjhill001

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady_bug87 View Post
ah ok! I've never kept rat snakes
These are my first Bairds. They are the weirdest eaters. Right now I put the snakes in the enclosures with the pinkie already in there. But before I was using long tweezers and they didn't strike or anything I just dangled it and they would grab it in their mouth and eat it. The most gentle things on the planet.

The female tail rattles but neither has ever struck anything. I'm tempted to find a live pinkie just to see if they'd eat it whole without even constricting it.
Login to remove ads
Old 04-25-15, 10:48 AM   #21
shaunyboy
slainte mhath

i feed all mine in their tanks

the tanks i keep 2 pythons in,i take which ever ones the easiest to get out,and feed it in a tub,the other gets fed in the tank

it's only carpet pythons i keep,they can smell prey as soon as it starts to defrost,all my pythons are upstairs,prey gets defrosted downstairs

just gotta love carpets

cheers shaun
Old 05-01-15, 07:31 PM   #22
Eggplant

I feed my hoggie in her tank and she's the sweetest snake ever

Quote:
I feed my rat snakes in a feeding enclosure because they have natural set ups and really the main negative is the worry they may eat some substrate. This wouldn't normally be an issue for well hydrated animals but my snakes are still little and I just don't like the idea of them eating a bunch of crap if they don't have to. I may or may not continue this feeding strategy as it lets me open everything in their cages up, use my temp probe, spot clean and look for any sort of broken things.
To prevent her from ingesting substrate (I use aspen) I usually put the frozen thawed on top of her hide (she eats it there) or I put in a piece of paper towel and put the mouse on that. It seems like the paper towel weirds her out sometimes though.
Old 05-01-15, 11:30 PM   #23
millertime89
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggplant View Post
To prevent her from ingesting substrate (I use aspen) I usually put the frozen thawed on top of her hide (she eats it there) or I put in a piece of paper towel and put the mouse on that. It seems like the paper towel weirds her out sometimes though.
It's a foreign object, wouldn't surprise me to be honest. Putting the food on top of the hide is another good idea.
Closed Thread