border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > New to the forum?

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-14-19, 06:24 PM   #16
Milksnake Mom

Re: New to the forum

I got to watch Alexa the garter snake eat tonight... I set her food plate with three pieces of earthworm (I have a plethora of nightcrawlers and their babies in my organic garden) and watched her come out of hiding. She made her way around the enclosure and all of a sudden she caught scent of her dinner and ate two. My DH came into the room and she slid under her branch.

It is nice to see her thriving - but I am still amazed how tiny she is and how garters in the wild survive.

Sonora was in her usual perching spot as well as Tiffany while Milton went to the humidity box to hang out for a bit before eating his pinkies.

I am loving this hobby.
Old 07-16-19, 06:01 AM   #17
SnakieStaschia

Hello!
I don't know if I am in the right place right here to write the following but I am just going to try. Any answer would mean a lot to me.

I have two Dasypeltis atra in my care. I mean they were two till yesterday eve.

I have had my snake for about 9 months when I decided to get another one. With my first one everything was always fine and very good.

So I got a new snake and it was tiny. It shed from time to time - not as often as my older one did when he was that small but he defintly did shed. The only thing that is really obvious now to me, is that my 'new' snake hardly grew in the one year I had him. And in the last months he stopped shedding and looked really skinny.

Since I had him in the same enclousre than my other older snake i just started giving them more eggs (finch eggs that is what the eat) i've never seen him eat but i also didn't see that very much with my older snake the eggs were just gone.

So I decided to start weighing it to see if he is actually eating but before I even did that...

when I sprayed down the enclosure yesterday eve he was hardly moving at all and it felt like he was about to die. A week prier to that he still had felt very strong when being hold.

He died, before we got to the vet. I was crying and crying and crying and thought it was all my fault, that i let my snake starve.

The vet reassured me though after she had a look at my snake, that i coudn't have done anything much to prevent his death, because he was pretty sure that it didn't eat because it was sick and had an organ failure and that it didn't eat because of that. And that my other snake would also be dead if I wouldn't take good care of them. She said that it was probably already the way it was born and since it was veeeery tiny it would've been very hard to do something (he was a lil bit smaller then a rainworm).

I am so devasted! I am going now with my other snake to the vet but do you think this is all my fault? The vet said no but I just feel so bad
Old 07-17-19, 12:58 PM   #18
PanUzasny

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakieStaschia View Post
Hello!
I don't know if I am in the right place right here to write the following but I am just going to try. Any answer would mean a lot to me.
Hi Snakie,

The best way to post would be to start your own thread on this topic, instead of adding to this thread which is unrelated to this one. Really sorry to hear about your snake.
Closed Thread

Tags
baby snake, escaped snake, milk snake, new member