border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > All Other Herp Forums > General Turtle / Tortoise Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-02-07, 12:26 AM   #1
Boots
Forum Moderator

What filtration system works for your turtle?

I am currently using a Zoo Med 501 filter for my red ear sliders, and am looking to upgrade to something that actually keeps the tank clean. While they advertise the filter as made for turtle, it does not really work as advertised once the turtle are about 3 months old.

I used to use a Fuval 403 and it did a good job, but I would like to know what everyone else is using, and what they have found that works for them. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Jason
Login to remove ads
Old 04-02-07, 07:40 AM   #2
joeysgreen

Re: What filtration system works for your turtle?

I have used a magnum 350 until it wore out, and now use a fluval 400 for my smaller tank. The magnum worked best, but my larger enclosures I end up relying mostly on water changes. Even if the water is screened to "look" clean, nitrogen wastes still build up.
The best scenerio that I recommend are the largest water to turtle ratio you can get, with an external cannister filter (magnum or pond type filter), and frequent partial water changes. If you can fit in live plants into the scenerio, all the better. You may have to replace them as the turtles nibble them to nothing.

Ian
Old 04-02-07, 07:52 AM   #3
joeysgreen

Hey, just noticed you're in Edmonton, do you keep any other species? Come out to the ERAS show, see www.edmontonreptiles.com.

Ian
Old 04-02-07, 07:18 PM   #4
Boots
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysgreen View Post
If you can fit in live plants into the scenerio, all the better. You may have to replace them as the turtles nibble them to nothing.
I had not thought of adding live plants, but that might help. I was thinking of having a second tank to cycle the water through, and it might help if the second tank is planted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysgreen View Post
Hey, just noticed you're in Edmonton, do you keep any other species? Come out to the ERAS show, see www.edmontonreptiles.com.
Currently I only have the three RES, but will be getting a couple of map turtles in the summer. As to the show, I will more then likely show. I am looking to add to my leopard gecko collection. I went to the fall show, but it seemed to be more of a sale then a show, but I only showed up on Sunday, so the show part might have ended.

Jason
Old 04-03-07, 07:12 AM   #5
peterm15

live plants will be eaten very quickly.. and clogs filters..

i personally use a fluval 405 and will never turn back.. i clean my tank weekly but only have to do a water change like once a month..

the only other filter id use would be the FX5.. but for the cost 405 is the way..
Old 04-03-07, 06:18 PM   #6
tupinambis

Send a message via MSN to tupinambis

I've kept many turtles and tried many filter systems, and the basic info I can offer is if it is sold for a turtle, it was designed for a guppy. Essentially, turtles need extreme filtration as they are very poor digestors and produce excessive waste. Usually this boils down to the largest cannister filter one can find, but even size doesn't answer everything. I used to love the old Fluval X03 line, the round ones. I know most people hated them, they usually required a fair bit of manipulation to get them to work, but once they were going, they were work horses. The newer lines (x04, x05) are easier to make function, but blow chunks for turtles as their filter media volume and flow through area has severely been reduced, this means they clog up a lot quicker. So when I buy filters now, I look for not only dependability in function, but filtration volume and flow-through area. A very good basic design is the older Eheim models, they have a unidirectional flow, and their flow-through area is the size of the cannister diameter. Unfortunately, price is a major drawback to Eheims, and I find their newer filters to have surprisingly low flow rates. My absolute favourite is the Eheim 2260, I use these on my larger tanks/ponds and I haven't found anything yet to equate their volume, flow and dependability. I've recently tried the Fluval FX-5, and I have to admit I am impressed with it. They are a far cry from the "square box" Fluval designs, have fantastic flow rate, but because of their design, the flow-through area I find somewhat compromised and can plug up quite quickly with dirtier species. Still, I do recommend it over the other Fluvals if you can afford it. I do not recommend Magnums on the simple fact that although the cannister is quite large, the actual filter media volume is very small. Maybe great for fish, I think lousy for turtles. I've also started trying out the Prime line of cannisters from Hydor. I like their design much better than the Fluvals (although I think their attachments stink), they seem to have good flow and are quite easy to maintain. Rena Filstars are another cannister that has both good and bad points. They have good flow, good filtration media volume and are easy to maintain, but something I don't like about them is they are "gravity seal" cannisters. These cannisters absolutely MUST be on a lower level than the volume of water they are filtering, and even if they are all 'sealed up', if you tip them over you will have water leaking out.
Old 04-03-07, 10:15 PM   #7
Boots
Forum Moderator

Thank for the suggestions, and while I hate to use them, I have a feeling I am going to be using a couple of old Eheims that I have kicking around. I would have preferred to use the old Fluval 403, but I gave it away a couple of months ago, and the only canister filters I have left are the Eheim, so I guess they get the job.

Your right about the Eheim though. Great filters, but are a little on the expensive side. That said, I have had a 2213 for about 20 years, and it was in use for at least 15 of those years. The one thing I never liked about them though was the way the ring was a pain to seal, but once it was sealed, no problems...ever. Thanks again for the info. If I can I will post a couple of pictures of the setup once I am done.

Jason
Old 04-04-07, 02:29 AM   #8
tupinambis

Send a message via MSN to tupinambis

The other thing I find very beneficial with turtle filters is if you can incorporate a surface skimmer. I find most of my turtle enclosures tend to quickly form some form of surface film and this quickly reduces water quality. For the cannister filters, there's two production line models that are readily available, one for Fluvals and another by Eheim. I've tried both. While the Fluval one is far cheaper, it also is unreliable. I gave up using them even on newt enclosures. The Eheim model works quite well, but like I said before, beings as it's Eheim, the price is very high. I've noticed that there are chinese knock-offs available at a far lower price, but they are also cheap imitations. Still work better than the Fluval design but often require modification. Unfortunately, these still only work well with smaller turtles, larger ones tend to play with them and screw them up. Best of all, however, is if you have the means is to forgoe these attachments and get your aquariums/tubs drilled, install a bulkhead and put in a stand pipe. If put in properly, you'll get surface skimming and have a more secure attachment for filters. RES can get a little destructive as they get older, and the last thing you need is to come home to a flood because they've knocked the exhaust hose out or a burned out filter because they've knocked the intake hose off.

P.S. those 501 filters, great for tadpole buckets! Low flow rate so they don't create much current. But for turtles, lousy. Yeah, I bought one too. I used to be in the pet industry and I still haven't shaken the habit of trying out all the makes and models of filters to have a better knowledge of what sorts suit which particular needs.
Closed Thread