border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Enclosure Creation Forums > General Enclosure Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-23-20, 11:41 AM   #1
MatCat

What is a good source of viv build materials?

I have been browsing lowes and home depot and I noticed there is plenty of good glass available from both at great sizes, but I am curious what makes for good materials for the rest of the viv? Personally I currently live in an extremely dry location (outside humidity is often below 25%), so I was thinking plastic based sides with sliding glass fronts. I have seen builds use PVC sheets but nobody local carries those, I feel like I don't want to use some cheap MDF or plyboard as it will be heavy and prone to issues with moisture etc, so what else is an option?
Login to remove ads
Old 07-24-20, 08:31 AM   #2
thealien

Re: What is a good source of viv build materials?

I found 4 X 8 sheets at a local building supply. Not cheap but made a great enclosure. I'll try to find the brand name and maybe you could contact and see if there is a local supplier?

Plywood sealed is another option but needs sealing and is a lot heavier, but less expensive to purchase.

HERE IS MY BUILD THREAD AND THE MANUFACTURER IS AZEK
Old 07-24-20, 09:46 AM   #3
Herpin' Man

I've been using expanded 1/2" PVC, and find that it is far superior to wood or melamine. However, building centers seldom carry it. Plastic wholesalers are the best source. It's far better to find one within driving distance, though, as shipping is expensive.
Old 07-25-20, 09:19 AM   #4
kudzu

For my situation, PVC has been the way to go. It just offers so many advantages in terms of maintaining proper temps/humidity, but also security. (Darn cats!) It is pretty easy to work with, even for beginners like myself.

Though I purchased all my plastic cages to date, I have been considering DIY for the next. When I did a search last year, I didn't find anyone locally selling thicker PVC sheets to individuals, only wholesale suppliers. I could find online suppliers who would ship it, but that upped the costs enough that I decided to buy a cage instead of DIY. Now though, my local Home Depot has 1/2 inch 4x8 sheets, but only white, brand name Veranda. To my great surprise, it is in stock at my local store. White won't match my other cages, but it would work for the upcoming small project so I might give it a try. Online they offer some by Palight in several colors but thickest is just 1/4 inch so not useful to me.
Old 07-25-20, 12:06 PM   #5
MatCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herpin' Man View Post
I've been using expanded 1/2" PVC, and find that it is far superior to wood or melamine. However, building centers seldom carry it. Plastic wholesalers are the best source. It's far better to find one within driving distance, though, as shipping is expensive.
Is that the same as what some places call rigid PVC foam board?
Login to remove ads
Old 07-26-20, 07:33 AM   #6
kudzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatCat View Post
Is that the same as what some places call rigid PVC foam board?

Am interested in seeing the answer to that question as I don't know it. To me, they seem to use cellular PVC, foam PVC and expanded PVC interchangeably.
Old 07-26-20, 08:55 PM   #7
chairman

I'd have to double check my correspondence but I believe that I purchased high density PVC to build a rack with. I found it by calling sign companies, plastic companies, etc in my area until I found a company willing to sell me 4x8 sheets.
Closed Thread