sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > All Other Herp Forums > Aquatic forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-03-12, 03:49 PM   #46
Kaetlinv

Re: Kaetlin's Fish

haha adorable.

I figured out why Jazzy was doing it all of a sudden though. The new tank he is in is reflective - IF the hood light that is on top of it is turned on. Without the light on the inside walls reflecting, he can't see his reflection as well and doesn't flare as much.

And yes, i do have the fish bug. One day I plan on using the tanks that the snakes are currently in and having a few aquariums, after the snakes are in tubs / custom vivs of course! I wish I could have more, but I don't have the space (although I'm allowed a total of 10gallons.)

I've got the bug because I can't have the snakes here with me. I like having pets to be responsible for, gives me a sense of duty other than school. Also, for me its relaxing to watch and care for animals, they're so free compared to people. Nature really is perfect. Always adapting. What is perfect survives, what isn't perfect perishes. Until humans enter the picture, at least. We've got a nasty habit of mimicking weeds, and not acting until after the fact to try and remedy the mistakes previously made.

If I can save a few goldfish from dying in crowded tanks or in the jaws of exotic fish just because they're cost-effective, then I will do so. I was sort of impressed. While the tanks were packed, I only saw one dead fish at the petsmart I went to, and it wasn't in the tank I got the new comet from. I made sure to avoid getting a fish from that tank. I was also mildly impressed by the employee who snagged the comet for me. After bagging him up he told me about how they like veggies in their diet, rather than telling me just to feed it pellets. (I got a pack of leafy greens, 'spring mix', for the both of them while I was out.)

They had comets of varying sizes, up to about 4inches long. Sadly, it seemed the bigger they were, the more that were in the tank... I wish i could've bought one of the bigger ones, but I wanted one in similar size to Chubs.

Anyone have a name suggestion? I'm drawing a blank here
Old 10-07-12, 08:47 PM   #47
Kaetlinv

Pareeeee.... You jinxed me!! Gah!

I got another Betta Halfmoon male, beautiful iridescent color that reminds me of a rainbow trout. Need ideas for a name! The second comet has been named 'Slim'!.
He's a little camera shy still. Appears to have no outward illnesses / diseases, was very active in his tiny temporary home at the private pet store. Some of the others looked like they had fin rot and some of them seemed to have swim bladder issues. This fella was gorgeous as could be, and seems healthy to boot!

He's got orange eyes Been thinking of names similar to Jazzy's, only based off the color blue / teal.
Old 10-08-12, 12:59 PM   #48
Kaetlinv

Chubs and the newly named Slim, decided to be cute this morning! I'm very happy with this progress. Slim is no longer bolting behind the plastic coral fixture whenever I get close, he is coming up and is rather curious about just what I am doing watching him and Chubs. I was rather concerned for the first day or so, because Slim wouldn't come up to eat and I would have to remove him from the tank and give him food while he was alone (Chubs is a greedy little tyke, he would eat all of it before Slim could even get any.). Now he will come up and eat, whether I am close to the tank or far away. Ignore my high-pitch voice, I talk to my animals.

Old 10-09-12, 11:52 AM   #49
Kaetlinv

The aponogeton bulb in Jazzy's tank has sprouted! (he had two, but I threw one away the other day, it was a little fuzzy)

So excited! The bulbs in the goldfish tank have a tangle of roots but no shoots yet :3
Old 10-09-12, 09:04 PM   #50
Pareeeee
Forum Moderator

That betta is very pretty!
Instagram: pareeeee17
Login to remove ads
Old 10-09-12, 10:52 PM   #51
Kaetlinv

He looks like a mini rainbow trout with a geisha fan!! haha. Still not sure about his name though.

(I feel like you're the only one who looks at this thread, Pareeeee :s glad to have you though! haha)
Old 10-10-12, 07:17 AM   #52
Pareeeee
Forum Moderator

Haha aww. I have always really been into fish, I've owned fish almost my whole life, and have been into tropical planted tanks for about 10 years. I've never really been a goldfish person, but they are cool. Cold water species just aren't my thing. I do prefer your goldfish, since they look like the wild-types instead of those crazy hybrids you see out there. I love bettas, they have such personality.
Old 10-10-12, 07:19 AM   #53
Pareeeee
Forum Moderator

My favourite fish would be Rainbowfish, Tetras and Angelfish. Also discus fish but they are just too expensive and difficult to keep.
Old 10-10-12, 10:38 AM   #54
Kaetlinv

Yeah they're the basic comet feeder fish... never been a huge fan of the 'fancy' type goldfish, except for the fantails. Those just look pudgy and cute.

One day i hope to have a large aquarium.

Betta are full of personality, although my new one seems to be a bit depressed... He's getting better, but for the first day and a half he would just float in one spot. I would softly touch his top fin to make sure he was still alive... I felt bad for disturbing him afterwards. :s He has been more active though, I can see him swimming around (albeit slowly..) and he responds to food. He's a little small (at least compared to jazzy), and he lived in a cup with less than 8oz of water in the store, cramped up next to a bunch of other male betta. in the store he was active though..
Old 10-10-12, 12:02 PM   #55
Wildside

I like the celestial eyed goldfish. They are so cute!
Login to remove ads
Old 10-10-12, 12:15 PM   #56
Kaetlinv

Those giant bubbly eyed things? I guess they're cute, lol.

I'd be concerned about them all the time, just looks like something is wrong with them! giant... poofy bubbles... be afraid of them popping! lol
Old 10-13-12, 08:02 PM   #57
Kaetlinv

You all get a video of Jazzy because i'm starting a water color pic of him and couldn't snap a photo clear enough of him, in the pose I wanted, thus, I'll take a screenshot from the video.

He looks STUNNING in this light.. I hope you think so too!

Old 10-13-12, 08:05 PM   #58
Wildside

No these

Old 10-13-12, 08:09 PM   #59
Kaetlinv

Yes, I meant those. that just looks so unreal, haha.
Old 10-13-12, 08:22 PM   #60
Wildside

I think they're adorable.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread