sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Venomous Forums > General Venomous Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-26-09, 05:10 PM   #46
jparker1167

Send a message via AIM to jparker1167
Re: Venomoid Question

all the venomiods i have seen show no sign of suffering, and i have heard of them living long lives, if done by a vet.
Old 05-26-09, 08:31 PM   #47
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparker1167 View Post
all the venomiods i have seen show no sign of suffering, and i have heard of them living long lives, if done by a vet.
What is a long life to you or the people you speak with? There isn't a snake species that has been given this surgery who has had the chance to make it through it's average lifespan. Which in reptiles is usually 10 - 20 years.
Old 05-26-09, 09:40 PM   #48
gonesnakee
Veteran Member

As far as suffering goes hw would even know they were not? Reptiles hide injuries, sickness & disease really well until its too late sometimes. Also venom is the initial stage of digestion for many creatures & its harder for them to digest their food without it as well. Most folks that go on about how its no big deal etc. are the ones supporting the bucthering of them to begin with.
Many animals come with teeth, claws, venom etc. etc. If you can;t deal with it, don't get them. don't mutilate them to serve YOUR purpose! Mark
Old 05-27-09, 07:53 AM   #49
siz

Well said Mark! If you don't that a venomous snake has venom....GET A DIFFERENT SNAKE.
Old 05-27-09, 11:50 AM   #50
gonesnakee
Veteran Member

Ya I want to get a Tiger too, but it has to be declawed & have a bunch of invasive dentistry first as well too of course. Lord forbid if it was to ever claw or bite me. Wonder if I blended all its food if I could get ALL its teeth pulled, ya then I could just cuddle & bottle feed it. I would still fell like a big strong Man having a Tiger as a pet though as its all about Status Quo right? Screw the animals they are just accessories to make me look good! ALL sarcasm for those mssing it Mark
Login to remove ads
Old 05-28-09, 07:05 AM   #51
Chu'Wuti

Quote:
ALL sarcasm for those mssing it
ROFL! Absolutely! And you wouldn't want it to tear up your precious upholstery, either, and declawing it will certainly prevent that! [more sarcasm, folks!!!!]
Old 05-29-09, 01:22 PM   #52
jonny666

So here is my take on the whole venomoid question. If you are going to get a venomoid snake you are not ready for a venomous animal it isn't a good starter snake nor is it cool for what that animal has to go through. If you want a snake that is venomous get a good mentor and work with their snakes for a while. I say awhile because everybodies diff when it come to being Quote unquote ready. You are never ready for everything.
Old 06-03-09, 06:41 PM   #53
jparker1167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_S View Post
What is a long life to you or the people you speak with? There isn't a snake species that has been given this surgery who has had the chance to make it through it's average lifespan. Which in reptiles is usually 10 - 20 years.
well i know of a exotic bird and reptile store near me that has a few venomoid on display and one is a 14 foot king cobra. i have talked to people that have kept venomoids for a number of years and the snakes do fine. well not all repitles live for 10-20 years venomoid or not. venom helps with digestion but is not needed
Old 06-03-09, 08:49 PM   #54
gonesnakee
Veteran Member

So someone mangled a 14ft Cobra? This proves what? Other than they don't really have what it takes to take care of an animal without mangling it? Not sure what the points supposed to be mentioning that? Its not something they do at a young age it can be done whenever. The snake could be a full blown adult on its last leg LOL & get mangled by someone. You do realize that putting ANY reptile under for ANY reason is very dangerous & risky to its livlihood right? I guess thats not a huge concern to some of these butcheers that do not do so anyway when they mutilate the animals. Its not like they have to hear it scream in agony or anyhting while they do so if its not sedated right To do it PROPERLY puts the animals at risk to do it otherwis is just plain cruel. Like going to the dentist for a root canal with nothing for pain etc.
Its in many cases a sick practice done by people with zero ethics, they figure more people will buy their imports if they are venomiod rather than they way they are intended to be. Those that do it "right" LOL aer doing so for te smae reason more often than nt to make them more marketable or make those that are not worthy have something they shouldn;t likley have anyways.
There is also the risks involved with these Venomiods when they breed as well or its unknown they are gravid when the mangling takes place. Rattlesnake, Vipers etc. live bear afterall & unexpected babies come out packing as no one has had the chace to mangle them yet afterall. Then you have someone NOT worthy of dealing with venomous with WAY more than they can handle on their hands.
I think its VERY VERY WRONG anyways in case you had not figured that out yet, Mark
Old 06-06-09, 10:05 PM   #55
jparker1167

the king cobra was not turned into a venomoid when it was an adult, the point of saying about it was because someone said they dont live long which is not true, and the guy that has the venomoid king cobra had also kept fully hot kings and mambas. the venomoid is for a display in his store.

im not into venomoids, i think they are stupid. but i wont say stuff like they die and dont live long lives when i know thats not true. i have around 30 venomous snakes all are still hot i wouldnt have them any other way but i wouldnt make statments that a person couldnt handle a hot one unless i knew them. the guy that owns the store, knows more about reptiles then most of the people i have meet. i dont talk to him often but i know hes very good with his animals. and the king is in now way an unhealthy looking snake. maybe next time i go up ill snap some pics.

im not saying i agree with venomids or that i disagree i think the reason for the person to own one is more important, getting one to show off is the reason i cant stand, i have seen tons of people buying venomoid at hamburg, the same people i wouldnt sell a ball python too.
Login to remove ads
Old 06-06-09, 10:58 PM   #56
gonesnakee
Veteran Member

I personally cannot comment on the age thing as I do not know anyone that keeps them. I'm sure some adapt well & can still "thrive".
Glad to hear you are on the right "team" Cheers Mark
Old 06-07-09, 10:59 AM   #57
jparker1167

yea im on the right team lol, i dont understand what the point in having a nonvenomous venomous snake is. a cobra that is a venomoid is pretty much just a corn snake that can hood.
Old 08-11-09, 06:02 PM   #58
Joel La Rocque

What do you think a "Venomoid" is going to show you? Obtaining a venomoid to see if you can handle it is the same thing as saying I can't handle it but I want to try. So you get tagged, is that going to stop you from obtaining a venomous snake? So you get bit, and say you don't get bit for a year, then you go out and get an exact replica of the venomoid and it bites you, whats the point?
Listen to me! I have been in the business for 40 years and if you even thing of trying a venomoid I can tell you that "You are NOT ready for any venomous snake rear fanged and God forbid front fanged"! These animals are not toys you show off with until the new wears off, these are deadly and dangerous snakes. I have 57 bites under my belt in 40 years, minus one finger and a whole lot of knee cartilage. Both hands are plagued with arthritis and you want a venomoid? You go to any local creek and grab the biggest Nerodia species you can find, get that bad boy home, care for it for one solid year using nothing more then a 24 inch snake hook, handle it at least four times a week and each time it tears into you pretend it was a Mojave rattlesnake. Get bitten more then four times and your dead plus each bite costs someone over $30.000 in medical bills.

If I sound bitchy it is to smarten you up. You know when it is time and you do not need to ask people who never even met you. If you have a suicide wish , get the snake. If you want to learn, find a mentor and do it right, he or she will tell you when it is time. Good luck and I mean that
Joel T. La Rocque
Old 08-13-09, 02:39 PM   #59
Chu'Wuti

Joel, thank you! I hope these people listen. My middle son & I had venomous snakes--not venomoids--for a couple of years. We never got tagged, but we never, ever put a hand near one of them. We got training first so we would know what NOT to do as well as what to do.
Old 08-13-09, 09:20 PM   #60
siz

Quote:
but i wouldnt make statments that a person couldnt handle a hot one unless i knew them.
Well...would you tell a random person that you didn't know that they COULD handle a venomous snake? This is one thing you can not just assume. You can't just say "Oh, I'm sure you are good to go, here, take this Mojave!!" These aren't ball pythons and they aren't blood pythons and they aren't emerald tree boas. You MUST nkow what you are doing to accquire a venomous snakes and if you want a venmoid (this is speaking in generalities) you aren't ready for a venomous snake..

Quote:
a cobra that is a venomoid is pretty much just a corn snake that can hood.
This tells me you are totally missing the point..it's more, much more, than that. As mentioned venom aids in digestion and can shorten lifespans. A venomiod snake, IMO, is a snake that has been stripped of something essential to it, and I really pity the idiot who thinks it is 'cool'....it disgusts me. As you said, a lot of the people who buy these things are the same people who should not own a BP...

/rant
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread

Tags
beginner, venomoid, venomous