border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Colubrid Forums > Elaphe Guttata Guttata

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-21-20, 05:06 PM   #1
sophiesnake

Unhappy Baby snake injury

Two months ago I got my first snake, a baby corn. He's been doing amazing, he just had his first shed and eats every 5-6 days. This morning my parents found him in their closet not moving and at first we thought he was dead. He lifted his head and flicked his tongue, but his body was completely limp. There appears to be a small puncture on his side, and we believe our cat must have gotten to him, and if so I'm amazed he was still alive in the first place. I gently put him back in his enclosure where it seems he squeezed through a tiny gap in the lid. He slithered out of the warm hide on his own but after that he hasn't moved at all and laid out in the open, only reacting to when I touch him. It's horrible to see him like this, and I feel terrible as this was totally avoidable on my part. He's breathing every 30 seconds or so and I'm just being told that he'll pass in his own time, but is there something that can be done at this point? I don't want him to suffer, and I was wondering if I could take him in to be euthanized. It's been about 10 hours and there hasn't been any improvement, and my parents are refusing to take me to the vet since they think theres nothing that can be done.

Sorry if that was a long read, today has just been awful.

tl;dr, baby snake was injured by a cat and isn't doing so good, is there something I can do?
Login to remove ads
Old 09-21-20, 05:39 PM   #2
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S
Re: Baby snake injury

Nothing you can do without seeing a vet. It might be able to be saved but it depends on a lot of things, like what internal damage has been done.
Old 09-28-20, 04:47 AM   #3
kazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiesnake View Post
There appears to be a small puncture on his side, and we believe our cat must have gotten to him
*How your cat was able to get your snake. you should have a lock with key to keep snake aside from your cat.*

Quote:
my parents are refusing to take me to the vet since they think theres nothing that can be done.
*keep asking to go to vet. Looks like your parents are heartless *
Old 09-28-20, 12:59 PM   #4
ReptiWorldWide

[QUOTE=kazz;1045819]*How your cat was able to get your snake. you should have a lock with key to keep snake aside from your cat.*

I think he meant that after it had escaped the cat must have gotten him.
Closed Thread