sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-19-19, 11:23 AM   #1
condescomputers

New rack, and other details

Well,

I scored big time. I found a vision rack V180 for about 1/4 of the original price. It is 7 tubs. It came with everything except a thermostat. I'm not going to need this rack for a while, but it was a great find.

Now I have 7 tubs for adult pythons/boas. I need to decide now whether I am going to breed or not. Breeding takes a lot of dedication, time, and care. its not like put these two snakes together and watch them breed. It is much more involved than that, and I don't know if I want to go that far with this hobby again or not.

The problem lies with this:

I love snakes. I love to breed snakes. No matter how hard it is, nothing can compare with the feeling you have when you see those eggs open up, or you see live birth. The accomplishment you feel can't be compared to anything else. That being said. I know the amount of dedication it takes to be a successful breeder. ( I don't mean make money.) The question is do I feel like putting in that amount of dedication again?
Login to remove ads
Old 04-19-19, 12:01 PM   #2
Jman22

Re: New rack, and other details

Are the egg laying snakes more difficult to breed than the live birth snakes? Congrats on your score!!
Old 04-19-19, 12:57 PM   #3
condescomputers

I have no personal experience keeping anything that has live birth. It was my bosses boa at the time. He always took care of the gravid boas himself. I've kept corns for breeding thats it. I by no means meant that I raised anything with live birth. Sorry for any misunderstanding.
Old 04-24-19, 10:40 AM   #4
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by condescomputers View Post
Well,

I scored big time. I found a vision rack V180 for about 1/4 of the original price. It is 7 tubs. It came with everything except a thermostat. I'm not going to need this rack for a while, but it was a great find.

Now I have 7 tubs for adult pythons/boas. I need to decide now whether I am going to breed or not. Breeding takes a lot of dedication, time, and care. its not like put these two snakes together and watch them breed. It is much more involved than that, and I don't know if I want to go that far with this hobby again or not.

The problem lies with this:

I love snakes. I love to breed snakes. No matter how hard it is, nothing can compare with the feeling you have when you see those eggs open up, or you see live birth. The accomplishment you feel can't be compared to anything else. That being said. I know the amount of dedication it takes to be a successful breeder. ( I don't mean make money.) The question is do I feel like putting in that amount of dedication again?
I've been in your shoes. Most people go through it so don't sweat it. I have good friends who were making worlds first combos of ball pythons and now just want to have fun with hognose snakes.

What I personally did, was slowed down on ball pythons. I took a look at what I'm doing, what I enjoy and build around that. I don't stress over morphs or what is being produced anymore because I realized I'm in a different place now. Life and hobby wise so I can't be trying to do crazy ****.

My recommendation to you is ensure you're working with a species you truly enjoy keeping and maybe just breed one pair. When people breed snakes they have this idea they have to breed a lot and that isn't the case anymore in the hobby.

I've got a long list of species I'd like but right now it's all on a back burner because I don't have the space or time and in the end I always say to myself "there will be snakes in 2 years too." (Sellers hate when I say it though haha)
Closed Thread