border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Enclosure Creation Forums > General Enclosure Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-07-16, 10:26 PM   #1
Wykyd

DIY Boa Enclosure

It's finally that time, I'll be starting construction on the enclosure and stand for my female boa, Janna, this weekend. She was a rescue and is currently in the process of recovering. Her current enclosure is "usable" but hardly appealing or appropriate (glass/wood trimmed display case). I'm going to harvest the glass from her enclosure for other projects including this one to save some money.

This enclosure has gone through multiple transformations over the design process. Ultimately I have come up with an enclosure that measures 6'Wx2'Hx3'D. The framing is simple and will be made with 2x2 pine, 3/8 plywood and 3/4 appearance boards for the front trim and access doors. Initially I will only be building one enclosure, but the plan is to build another to sit on top (as the image shows).

On the inside I will be using foam board to build and carve her environment. I would post a picture of the sketch I made, but it's horrible and I'm pretty sure you'd have to be inside my head to understand it. The ultimate goal is to have a multiple leveled basking area under the RHP on the right side. A 2'x2' pool roughly in the middle for water and soaking if wanted, depth is currently undetermined. Then for a hide I want to make a hallowed out tree stump with a section you can remove for access. I'm not sure how I want to build the branch or tree from the basking area to above the hide quite yet. I most likely will just use a piece of drift wood. All the foam will have multiple layers of tile grout with the final layers dyed different colors (brown, green, gray).

I would really LOVE to do a running water setup with these enclosures. My intention is to have a 10 gallon sump tank (per enclosure) in the base to filter the water. I've thought long and hard about how to make a drainage system that cannot be blocked or clogged. Ultimately what I came up with was using a standard stainless drain with a valve to control flow. If she were to block the main drain in some fashion, there will be 2 overflow channels that will tee in post valve to stop from any flooding.

Tips, comments, suggestions are greatly appreciated. I will be posting update pictures with commentary as I go. The build is going to take me roughly 8 weeks as I only really have weekends to work on them. I posted a price sheet for the build. The only things currently not listed are lighting, plumbing (if I do running water) and substrate. I think I will end up just doing ecoearth, but I'm not sure. I hope you all enjoy.

Old 07-08-16, 09:05 AM   #2
lewis13

Re: DIY Boa Enclosure

Wow that is ambitious but I am sure it will be awesome when you are done.
Old 07-08-16, 10:35 AM   #3
DLLNP

Following this!
Old 07-09-16, 03:02 PM   #4
Wykyd

Upon further discussion with some friends (HVAC and plumbing technicians) we decided that using a wet switch to turn off the pump in an overflow situation is the best possible resolution to the overflow problem. I will pipe the drain with a tee, placing the wet switch at the highest possible water level, leaving room to avoid actually overflowing the pond. I'm thinking I will make the pond roughly 6" deep to allow her to fully coil up in the water if wanted. The build starts today! Headed out to get the wood shortly.
Old 07-11-16, 08:59 PM   #5
Wykyd

Construction has commenced. I don't have a lot of time at the end of my day to work on it, but I'm utilizing what time I can. I'm using 2x2 pine and 3/8 pine plywood for basically everything. The 2x2 frame is held together with some wood glue and pocket screws (I use a Kreg jig for the pocket screws). Ended up changing the design a little bit. I added a center support in the front and also one on both sides to help strengthen up the entire unit. I also made the enclosure a 1/2" shorter to allow me to have less wood waste. I'm expecting to have an entire sheet of plywood left over. I should have the enclosure finished tomorrow and ready for sealer. I'm using a polycrylic water based polyurethane. Here are some pictures along the way.

Old 07-11-16, 09:41 PM   #6
SWDK

Looking good so far. Definitely won't hurt adding the extra bracing for more support. Hope the build goes smoothly and as planned.
2 Black Rats,2 Retics,2 Texas Indigo,1 Albino Chinese Beauty,1 Bull,1 Black Milk,1 YT Cribo,1 Albino Garter,5 Corn Snakes,1 Brooksi,1 VBB,1 MBK,1 Bairds Rat,1 Albino Cal King,1 Pied BP,1 Dumerils Boa,2 Rattlesnakes
Old 07-12-16, 08:40 AM   #7
macandchz

that is really going to be great when you get it done. can't wait to see the finished product.
Old 07-12-16, 09:12 AM   #8
Ian of Oldham

Cool looking good.
Old 07-13-16, 08:10 PM   #9
Wykyd

Afternoon tstorms and a long *** day at work today put the project on hold. We shall see how the rest of the week goes. I'm still planning on having it all stained and sealed this weekend. Foam work will start next week.

One thing I did want to note, I overestimated the strength of 3/8 pine plywood. Although I still would have not chosen another sheet material/thickness, I am adding more perpendicular supports throughout. I noticed roughly an 1/8" sag when I had 28lbs cinder blocks sitting in open floor, which just won't do. Otherwise I am very pleased with how everything is coming together. The enclosure itself is very sturdy even without a top or front trim (or added supports yet). Other than it's size, it's ultimately not very heavy either.
Old 07-14-16, 06:27 PM   #10
pet_snake_78

3/8" plywood is strong but 6' is a long run, I'm using it in 36" long enclosures without any support but obviously those are vastly different.
Login to remove ads
Old 07-16-16, 11:33 AM   #11
Wykyd

I'm looking into painting the outside of the enclosure instead of staining. Is there anything specific I should look out for when picking out paints? I've read that after most paints cure they are harmless, plus this will be exterior only, the inside will still be sealed with polycrylic polyurethane, covered in foam, covered in tile grout.
Old 07-17-16, 06:42 PM   #12
Wykyd

Update on the progress of the enclosure.

Friday I finished adding the new supports, the mounting supports for the RHP and the top panel.

Saturday I basically spent the day sanding. There was a lot of imperfections and uneven cut lines (I don't have the steadiest of hands :3). Started with 60 grit to level off the wood and finished with 100 grit ready for paint.

Today I was able to get one coat of paint on the outside and one coat of sealant on the inside. I'm using Valspar semi-gloss interior paint. It's water based, no VOC and has CHPS certification (meaning California allows it to be used in schools and other places where there will be children). The color I chose was supposed to be Nocturnal Green, but it looks more like a charcoal black or a very dark grey. Either way I'm very happy with how it is turning out.

I will be repeating these steps the rest of this week (4 more coats each). This weekend I will be starting the foam, I'm most excited for this part of the build, it's where I get to let my creativity run wild.
Old 07-17-16, 07:37 PM   #13
Albert Clark

Wow! What craftsmanship. It's looking very professional.
Old 07-17-16, 07:42 PM   #14
Wykyd

Thanks Albert, I take a lot of pride in my work.

One thing I did forget to mention, to test the strength of the unit I climbed inside. It is very roomy and I cannot wait to put her inside for the first time.
Old 07-17-16, 08:41 PM   #15
SWDK

Coming along nicely. Gives all of us DIYer's some inspiration. Great job!!!
2 Black Rats,2 Retics,2 Texas Indigo,1 Albino Chinese Beauty,1 Bull,1 Black Milk,1 YT Cribo,1 Albino Garter,5 Corn Snakes,1 Brooksi,1 VBB,1 MBK,1 Bairds Rat,1 Albino Cal King,1 Pied BP,1 Dumerils Boa,2 Rattlesnakes
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread