border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-01-19, 05:06 PM   #1
condescomputers

Which female to buy now.

I want to start a breeding project for a double Codominant and one recessive. I already have a visual recessive male. Should I buy a visual recessive female with 1 Co-dominant? or buy a double co-dominant female with no recessive?
Login to remove ads
Old 08-06-19, 09:36 AM   #2
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S
Re: Which female to buy now.

What do you want to breed for? Which morphs strike you?

Do you want all the morphs to be in a single animal eventually?
Old 08-08-19, 08:26 AM   #3
condescomputers

I want to produce a t- 007. I have a T- male, and can buy a T- Matrix Female or a 007 Female. The 007 route will take much longer. Which way would you go?
Old 08-09-19, 12:23 PM   #4
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

I'd just buy black bloods and call it a day.

Can you do a T- male and a 007 het for T-? Is it available in your price range?

You could also go for matrix het T- and matrix het T-. Sure the odds aren't the best but you could end up your dream animal in the first clutch! At least a hold back to make it easier. Your own T- matrix. Or 007 possible het T-.

If you don't want to mess with hets then i'd go for the T- male and T- matrix female.
Old 08-09-19, 01:06 PM   #5
craigafrechette

Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but aren't you pretty new to keeping snakes?

If so I would strongly advise getting a few years of experience before even considering breeding.

If I'm mistaken I apologise.
Login to remove ads
Old 08-09-19, 01:40 PM   #6
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but aren't you pretty new to keeping snakes?

If so I would strongly advise getting a few years of experience before even considering breeding.

If I'm mistaken I apologise.
If he's got babies then he would gain that experience. it takes easily 3 years for bloods to be mature enough to breed.
Old 08-09-19, 01:48 PM   #7
craigafrechette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_S View Post
If he's got babies then he would gain that experience. it takes easily 3 years for bloods to be mature enough to breed.
True, but until you've got experience dealing with adults I think breeding would be premature.

I just see waaaaaay too many people start out in this hobby and fall in love with their one snake and decide they want to breed.
Old 08-09-19, 03:55 PM   #8
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Quote:
True, but until you've got experience dealing with adults I think breeding would be premature.

I just see waaaaaay too many people start out in this hobby and fall in love with their one snake and decide they want to breed.
He will have plenty of time with adults while trying to attempt to breed. I don't think owning adults means anything when it comes to breeding considering you aren't keeping all the babies until adulthood.

I get what you're saying but I don't think the experience here is what matters. It's one project this guy wants to do. It's one pair of animals.

My issue is people buy adults, breed them, then have no clue how to sell their animals and wonder why it isn't working out.
Old 08-09-19, 05:06 PM   #9
craigafrechette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_S View Post
He will have plenty of time with adults while trying to attempt to breed. I don't think owning adults means anything when it comes to breeding considering you aren't keeping all the babies until adulthood.

I get what you're saying but I don't think the experience here is what matters. It's one project this guy wants to do. It's one pair of animals.

My issue is people buy adults, breed them, then have no clue how to sell their animals and wonder why it isn't working out.
I don't disagree. I just see it ALL the time with snakes. Not everyone who gets a puppy wants to breed it, or hamsters or most pets for that matter.

It bugs me more with BPs since the market is already ridiculously over saturated. Bloods/STPs seem to be kinda "trendy" right now and are definitely booming in popularity.

But still, I just don't get it. It's not like other hobbies where if you get bored you stop playing with it. These are living creatures. And I've seen way too many Craigslist ads or forum ads for "collection sales" with people getting out of the hobby after only a few years.

I'm not saying OP will fall into that category, but I'm saying I've seen enough start out just like OP and then end up getting out of the hobby and unloading all their animals that they once "loved so much".
Old 08-12-19, 06:49 PM   #10
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Quote:
I don't disagree. I just see it ALL the time with snakes. Not everyone who gets a puppy wants to breed it, or hamsters or most pets for that matter.

It bugs me more with BPs since the market is already ridiculously over saturated. Bloods/STPs seem to be kinda "trendy" right now and are definitely booming in popularity.

But still, I just don't get it. It's not like other hobbies where if you get bored you stop playing with it. These are living creatures. And I've seen way too many Craigslist ads or forum ads for "collection sales" with people getting out of the hobby after only a few years.

I'm not saying OP will fall into that category, but I'm saying I've seen enough start out just like OP and then end up getting out of the hobby and unloading all their animals that they once "loved so much".
Sure I get that. I see it too at times.

My argument is that this is a small, subset of the population of our community. I say this because there's so many snakes sold as pets a year to people who are NOT online or in our known communities who just keep pets. Some people may hate it but many pet snakes are sold through pet stores that live long lives.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread