border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Enclosure Creation Forums > General Enclosure Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-18-17, 06:13 PM   #1
Eric & Ethan

Converting wood furniture into reptile enclosures

I am a carpenter thinking of converting some discarded wooden furniture into a stylish and functional enclosure for my red-tailed boa. My question is what are the best ways to safely seal the wood against mold and rot ? Can I just seal is or should I line the inside with plexiglas ? If this works out for my own snakes, I might consider making more in my spare time to sell. I have the skills and some very cool ideas. I just need to know the safest materials to use so no animals are harmed. Thank you to anyone who can help.
Login to remove ads
Old 03-18-17, 07:56 PM   #2
Cyclops

Re: Converting wood furniture into reptile enclosures

Well, it seems to me that if there is moisture, the wood will get moldy. So if you keep the wood dry, or the room dry, then there will probably not be mold.
Old 03-27-17, 02:58 AM   #3
dannybgoode

I know lots of people who have converted furniture for vivs.

If it's real wood-sand off whatever finishing is already on there. Seal joints with epoxy or silicone and then use yatch varnish to coat the whole thing. Pond liner fixed to the bottom and sides to the depth the substrate will be will add additional protection.

Suitably sized vents from any diy store and then some form of glazing and jobs a good one.
0.1 B imperator, 1.0 M spilota harrisoni, 1.0 C hortulanus, 2.1 P reticulatus (Madu locality), 1.1 S amethystine, 1.1 L olivaceous, 1.0 C angulifer, 1.0 Z persicus, 0.1 P regius, 0.1 N natrix, 0.1 E climacophora, 1.0 P obsoletus, 0.1 L geluta nigrtia, 1.0 P catenifer sayi, 1.0 T lepidus
Old 03-27-17, 07:36 AM   #4
Jim Smith

I wouldn't take a chance with just sealing the wood as water (especially over time) has a way of find ways to seep into and cause rot or mold in wood. I would line the enclosure with black HDPVC which you can purchase in 4x8 foot sheets at the big box stores. This material is very easy to work with regular tools and rather forgiving as compared to plexiglas. It can be screwed together and sealed with silicone for a tight waterproof seal. I'd use plexiglas for the front of the enclosure with a drop-down door (hinges a the bottom). You could go with sliding glass doors, but that only gives you access to half of the enclosure at a time, where as the full open-front drop down door gives you full access. Just my thoughts...
Old 03-27-17, 08:56 AM   #5
eminart

I'd recommend sealing the whole thing with a few coats of marine epoxy. If you do it right, you can make it 100% water tight. It's used for making plywood aquariums. It's a little pricey, but if you want something that looks furniture grade, and holds up over time, that's my recommendation.

Search Max ACR marine epoxy on ebay.
“...the old ones ... knew in their bones... that death exists, that all life kills to eat, that all lives end, that energy goes on. They knew that humans are participants, not spectators.” -- Stephen Bodio, On the Edge of the Wild
Login to remove ads
Old 03-27-17, 10:02 AM   #6
GyGbeetle

Send a message via Yahoo to GyGbeetle

How long should you keep the animal away from the enclosure after conversion is finished? 30 days enough time? Longer to air out any residual fumes?

But if anyone asks, I only have 1. The rest just showed up for the house party.
Old 04-01-17, 03:56 PM   #7
Brently

you could always just paint the inside with black pond shield if it works for the look you are going for. people use this product in plywood aquariums. I'm sure that if you can put it underwater without harming fish then it could be used in a reptile enclosure and it would seal the moisture out just fine. look up diy plywood aquarium on you tube and you can see step by step instructions just a thought.i would have to guess its the quickest and easiest way to protect the enclosure.
Old 04-02-17, 02:12 PM   #8
Eric & Ethan

Thank you everyone for the ideas. I am still looking for the right piece to convert, but am considering starting from scratch. I appreciate the feedback.
Closed Thread