sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Morelia Viridis

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-12-16, 05:32 PM   #1
Santy1129

My first GTP

Hello,

I am new in the forum, so I have no idea how active people are in terms of responding. I have never been lucky in other forums. Simply people do not answer.

I am fascinated with all animals. currently have a couple of fish tanks and a terrarium with dart frogs. My first snake was a kingsnake and unfortunately he passed away when I went on vacation. He found the way out and got stuck in a sticky trap and probably the cat also attacked him. My petsitter found him on the floor.
I work at Petco and I know how to take care of reptiles. I had a chameleon before. My concern is that I have been reading about GTP (I actually bough a book) and everybody seems to agree in the fact that GTP should only be kept by very advanced hobbyist. Is this true? Why do I have to be an expert in snakes? As long as I can provide the right environment I think I can do it. They all seems to suggest having a snake at least for a year before getting a GTP.
Please let me know your thoughts about it
Thanks!
Login to remove ads
Old 05-14-16, 08:14 AM   #2
Albert Clark

Re: My first GTP

Well, welcome to the forum first! Sorry about the demise of the kingsnake that had to be a terrible way to die. But yeah, gtp are arboreal reptiles that have specific husbandry requirements. Of course it's always good to have experience with reptiles before embarking on one of the more advanced species. Imo, I would just get the research underway and grab a good book on the care and husbandry of gtps.
Old 05-14-16, 09:58 PM   #3
toddnbecka

Personally I prefer snakes that can be handled more easily (and safely for the snake) as well as having a better overall disposition than GTP's are generally known for. The temp and humidity requirements are much more exacting than a king snake. Sort of similar to keeping discus in an aquarium, compared to, say, angelfish. I've kept aquariums all my life, but never wanted to bother with such demanding critters that have to have such pristine water conditions to live.
7.6.26 Dominican red mountain boas, 1.1 carpet pythons, 3 ATB, 1.1 climacophora, 1.1 Russian rats, 1.1 prasina, 1.1 speckled kings, 3.3.1 corns, 1.1.1 black rats, 1.1 savu, 1.1 Stimson's, 1 spotted python, 1.1 Boiga nigriceps, 3 Olive house snakes, 1 Sonoran mountain king, 0.1 Sinoloan milk snake, 1.1 Dione rat snake.
Old 05-15-16, 04:51 AM   #4
Santy1129

Thanks a lot for your replies. I got a book about GTP and hopefully it will go well.
Old 08-12-16, 12:40 AM   #5
Captain837

A great book out there is called "the complete chondro" if I remember correctly. As far as husbandry as long as you can keep temp and humidity where it needs to be you should be ok. My biggest recommendation would be to pick the right local for what you want to do with it. If you want one you can handle, get a captive bred aru. I have had them and they can be puppy dog tame just don't stick your hand into the cage after dark when they are in feeding mode. If you want a beautiful look but don't touch snake, biak is the local you may consider. They are larger inumber size and attitude in my experience.
Either way, good luck!
Login to remove ads
Old 08-14-16, 01:12 PM   #6
dannybgoode

+1 to the complete chondro.

An important note re GTP's. They really should be a display snake only and handled as little as possible. It is incredibly easy to injure their vertebrae especially when they are younger but even as adults.

Lovely snakes though. High on my wishlist...
0.1 B imperator, 1.0 M spilota harrisoni, 1.0 C hortulanus, 2.1 P reticulatus (Madu locality), 1.1 S amethystine, 1.1 L olivaceous, 1.0 C angulifer, 1.0 Z persicus, 0.1 P regius, 0.1 N natrix, 0.1 E climacophora, 1.0 P obsoletus, 0.1 L geluta nigrtia, 1.0 P catenifer sayi, 1.0 T lepidus
Old 08-27-16, 08:50 PM   #7
Primal Rage

Gtp's are fun to work with. That said you need to have your temp and humidity dialed in or the animal will suffer. I am not a big fan of handling them either. Most of the ones I have kept and been around tend to stress alot. Here is a pic of one of my hatchling Aru's.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0019.jpg (23.8 KB, 215 views)
Old 08-28-16, 12:41 AM   #8
Captain837

I keep hearing people say you should not handle them but my female aru was fine with it. All I had to do was tickle her sides and she would climb off her perch and onto my arm. I never had to nor would have fought to do it so I am not sure how that would have hurt her. As for stress, she always had a great appetite and never got sick so I am guessing you just have to know your animal and what they will tolerate.
Old 08-28-16, 12:55 AM   #9
dannybgoode

@captain. So long as they crawl of their perch onto you that's fine. It's when people uncurl them to get them off things that causes problems. They have a kind of rachet system on their vertebrae that locks their body in place and allows them to stay curled up on branches etc and even if you remove them gently you can damage the bone.

To the OP have you considered a carpet python. Closely related to the tree python but hardier and handles better. OK they're not green but they're beautiful snakes. Note they are generally very nippy until about 18 months old but calm down with time. Just a defence thing when young.
0.1 B imperator, 1.0 M spilota harrisoni, 1.0 C hortulanus, 2.1 P reticulatus (Madu locality), 1.1 S amethystine, 1.1 L olivaceous, 1.0 C angulifer, 1.0 Z persicus, 0.1 P regius, 0.1 N natrix, 0.1 E climacophora, 1.0 P obsoletus, 0.1 L geluta nigrtia, 1.0 P catenifer sayi, 1.0 T lepidus
Old 08-28-16, 07:13 AM   #10
Santy1129

Thanks for your comments. I would like to know what is the right temperature for basking and cool end and the right humidity for GTP.
Thanks!
Login to remove ads
Old 08-28-16, 08:09 AM   #11
marvelfreak
Captain America

I have always want one just never got one. One thing all tree python or boa cages should have is removable branches. So if you do need to remove them from the cage you can do it without taking them off the branch and less chance of injury.
Old 08-28-16, 10:44 AM   #12
Captain837

@Dannyb ok gotcha. I never new about the locking spine thing. I have never been one to force or manhandle any of my snakes anyway and all my arborial stuff had removable perches.
Old 08-28-16, 10:46 AM   #13
Captain837

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santy1129 View Post
Thanks for your comments. I would like to know what is the right temperature for basking and cool end and the right humidity for GTP.
Thanks!
Hot spot in the upper 80'so to 90.
Middle perch in the 82-84 range
Cold spot 78-80
Humidity 80%+ and they love misting.

That is all from memory from 20 years ago so if someone says different, they are probably right.
Old 09-12-16, 07:14 AM   #14
dannybgoode

IIRC (and again happy to be corrected) but GTP'S like a really good misting in the morning then having the humidity drop throughout the day and then repeat as opposed to constant very high humidity 24/7.
Old 09-12-16, 08:04 AM   #15
Captain837

I used an ultrasonic humidifier on a timer as opposed to manual misting and it seemed to work very well.
Closed Thread