border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > All Other Herp Forums > Aquatic forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-05-13, 08:37 PM   #1
Wildside

Fish Tank Maintenance Tips

My golden rule of tank maintenance: Only clean it when absolutely necessary.

As a Pet Shop owner I would always hear "My fish always die."
The first questions I asked is, "Well how much are you feeding them?"
Most of the time the answer was, "2 or 3 times a day."

So here's the deal, I know that is what the fish food says but that is a good way for the fish food company to sell more fish food. The truth is most people will shake the container across the top of the tank several times a day. This is a big No-No. The uneaten food rots in the bottom causing nitrites/nitrates to spike and producing more ammonia than the fish waste alone. Sometimes this causes the pH to take a dive into unruly acidic levels. Either of these factors or the combination of the two are deadly to fish.
My recommendation: Feed your fish a healthy pinch every other day.

Since we just talked about nitrates let me go ahead and explain filtration. Most of those who keep fish will use a filter that has some sort of sponge and a carbon insert. Carbon helps to removes harmful impurities and helps to keep a crystal clear, odor free fish tank. If your tank get cloudy or starts to smell it's probably time to change the carbon. *Cloudy tanks can also be a sign of overfeeding. The sponge is a place for beneficial bacteria to grow. This bacteria breaks down harmful nitrites/nitrates minimizing the chance of ammonia or pH inconsistencies. Using tepid water rinse the sludge off the sponge as needed but it's a good idea to replace it before it begins to fall apart. I replace them about every 6 mos. DO NOT replace the sponge and carbon at the same time. Replacing the filter media all at once can cause major problems for a well cycled tank.

Cycling the tank is a very important step that needs to be taken before purchasing fish. This means you need to set the tank up, put water in it and get the filters running. You can put a little fish food in to get the bacteria growing. Or you can seed the filter by placing substrate from a thriving tank in a media bag in the filter. There are also numerous products you can buy that will help to speed up the cycling process. The tank needs to be up and running at least 48 hrs. preferably more, before adding fish.

When you purchase fish, do not buy sick fish! Look for clamped fins, pale color, heavy breathing, cloudy eyes, fungus or blemishes. If there are dead fish in the tank don't buy from that tank. The best Pet Shops will have separate filtration in every tank. Make sure that you quarantine when adding new fish. Better safe than sorry!
Login to remove ads
Old 01-05-13, 09:02 PM   #2
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S
Re: Fish Tank Maintenance Tips

Good write up.

I personally feed my fish once a day a small pinch. I go away sometimes or just do ridiculous hours at work and let them fend for themselves. I know there's algae on the driftwood and they pick at that too so I have no reason to believe they need more food. I did make the mistake of overfeeding though at the start and I lost a couple giant danios that way.

I would recommend also researching your species of fish before going to the store, just like any other pet. I know pale colour is a no-no but when looking into a tank full of red-tail black sharks they are all pale/dull because they hate being together. I knew this ahead of time and when I brought mine home and in a proper aquarium he flourished and looked very striking!
Old 01-05-13, 09:15 PM   #3
StudentoReptile

I had 25 fish in a 30 gal planted FW tank. I fed it once, maybe twice a week. My fish were fat and didn't die while in my care.
Old 01-05-13, 09:17 PM   #4
Aaron_S
Forum Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Aaron_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by StudentoReptile View Post
I had 25 fish in a 30 gal planted FW tank. I fed it once, maybe twice a week. My fish were fat and didn't die while in my care.
Key word...planted...

I love me a FW planted tank. I wish I could own my discus tank.
Old 01-05-13, 09:18 PM   #5
RandyRhoads
Service Veteran

Informative post, thanks. Luckily I don't have to worry about over feeding as I only feed once every 5 days or so.

My filter has the active carbon built in the sponge, it was so gross I finally just chucked it. I have a good amount of live rock/sand, should I be ok, or do I need to do something now that I screwed up?
Login to remove ads
Old 01-05-13, 10:15 PM   #6
BryanB

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyRhoads View Post
Informative post, thanks. Luckily I don't have to worry about over feeding as I only feed once every 5 days or so.

My filter has the active carbon built in the sponge, it was so gross I finally just chucked it. I have a good amount of live rock/sand, should I be ok, or do I need to do something now that I screwed up?
Just replace the carbon pad and you will be fine I always suggest just never clean the tank and filter in the same week it can be a big shock to the good bacteria and crash a tank I assume you have salt. Wildside please correct me if i am wrong i have not had a tank in about 3 years.
Old 01-05-13, 11:23 PM   #7
EmilyS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildside View Post
My golden rule of tank maintenance: Only clean it when absolutely necessary.
Are you talking about the filter/filter media, or the tank itself/water changes? I do 50% water changes weekly on all my tanks, and have been recommended to do so (or AT LEAST 25%) by many people and many websites.
Old 01-05-13, 11:31 PM   #8
Wildside

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyS View Post
Are you talking about the filter/filter media, or the tank itself/water changes? I do 50% water changes weekly on all my tanks, and have been recommended to do so (or AT LEAST 25%) by many people and many websites.

Both... Every time you mess with the tank you disturb the established ecosystem. Even doing water changes alters is slightly.

I wrote that quite a while ago and there are some more things I should've touched on. One being that dechlorination is a myth and a waste of money.
Honestly the small amount of chlorine that comes from your tap (you know the one that doesn't ever hurt you) evaporates within 24 hrs. I consider my "water change" refilling the tank after it evaporates a few inches. I do it straight from the tap. For those of you who are slightly appalled let me tell you why this is good. The small amount of chlorine you're adding to your tank doubles as pesticide. So anything that may come in off new fish/plants gets obliterated.
Old 01-05-13, 11:44 PM   #9
EmilyS

Watch out- newbie who thinks she knows it all

While I agree that messing with the tank- no matter what you do- affects the ecosystem, some things are so small that the ecosystem will bounce back almost immediately, and some things are good for the ecosystem.

Most of the beneficial bacteria is in the filter media; a small amout resides in the water/gravel/decoration...etc. While doing a water change does take away some of the bacteria, the amount is so small that it won't matter and the beneficial bacteria in the filter media will (in an established tank) be more than enough to hold the cycle. Water changes also help to remove ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates; too many of these can be deadly to fish.

As for dechlorination, I disagree. Chlorine/chloramines can be deadly to fish. Back when I first started keeping aquariums, there were a couple times when I forgot to add a dechlorinator. I could definitely see a change in the fish- they were breathing rapidly, laying on the gravel, some getting stuck to the filter intake- and a couple even died. A dechlorinator is a must.
Old 01-05-13, 11:48 PM   #10
RandyRhoads
Service Veteran

Quote:
\ A dechlorinator is a must.
If you're using garbage water to begin with.
Login to remove ads
Old 01-06-13, 12:21 AM   #11
EmilyS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyRhoads View Post
If you're using garbage water to begin with.
Chlorine is found in tap water, so unless you have some kind of purifier that removes chlorine, it's going to be there.
Old 01-06-13, 12:25 AM   #12
RandyRhoads
Service Veteran

Quote:
Chlorine is found in tap water, so unless you have some kind of purifier that removes chlorine, it's going to be there.
Yeah, garbage water. You don't use RO/DI water? I wouldn't get tap water anywhere near my tank. So many disgusting chemicals in general....
Old 01-06-13, 07:47 AM   #13
Lankyrob
Non Carborundum Illegitimi

When we had our guppy tank i used water out our rainwater butt, sieved it a few times to get rid of the floating debris and then warmed it to about the temp of the tank. I would find that about an inch of water would be lost through evaporation during a one to two week period and would just top up using the same process. I never did water changes, i washed the filter and only replaced it once a year and i used snails to keep the tank clean.

I would have constant breeding, lots of variety in terms of ages of the fish. When one died i Left it in the tank and let the snails/other fish eat it. I ran it this way for about five years, then i got into snakes and needed the space. I fed fish flake twice a week, just a generous pinch.

So i gave the tank to my father in law. He is totally anal about the tank being spotless, removed dead fish, switched 10% of water every week, changed the filter monthly etc, all the fish died within three months with NO breeding taking place at all.
Old 01-06-13, 09:12 AM   #14
Trent
Snake Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildside View Post
Both... Every time you mess with the tank you disturb the established ecosystem. Even doing water changes alters is slightly.

I wrote that quite a while ago and there are some more things I should've touched on. One being that dechlorination is a myth and a waste of money.
Honestly the small amount of chlorine that comes from your tap (you know the one that doesn't ever hurt you) evaporates within 24 hrs. I consider my "water change" refilling the tank after it evaporates a few inches. I do it straight from the tap. For those of you who are slightly appalled let me tell you why this is good. The small amount of chlorine you're adding to your tank doubles as pesticide. So anything that may come in off new fish/plants gets obliterated.

Your first write up was sound,but this advise is just plain wrong.
After 25 years of fish keeping the one thing that I have learned if you want happy and healthy fish is WATER CHANGES.
It is the only thing that removes the fishes excretory products.Which are slowly killing and stunting your fish.No filter will remove them.
Removing 25% a week is a good idea..replacing with dechlorinated water.
As for your pesticide comment on chlorine..lol..I will leave that alone.

A few critters...
Old 01-06-13, 09:35 AM   #15
alessia55
Retired Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alessia55

These tips will come in handy with my new tank
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread