Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > All Other Herp Forums > Aquatic forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-03-13, 07:33 PM   #1
alessia55
Retired Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alessia55
fish for beginner

I have an empty 10gal fish tank in my garage at home that I want to take to my apartment and put fish inside. Besides gravel and plants, what else do I need? a filter? what kind? light? what kind of fish can I get? how many? can I combine different types of fish? I've heard a 1 fish per gallon rule, not sure if it's true. This would be a fresh water tank. Preferably some hardier kind of fish that don't need lots of special care. Thanks
Login to remove ads
Old 01-03-13, 07:42 PM   #2
Corey209

Send a message via Skype™ to Corey209
Re: fish for beginner

I personally like convicts, but it's been so long since I've had fish I couldn't help you with husbandry. We had these for years with just a simple filter recommended at the fish place we went to and they lived healthy lives breeding all the time.

Old 01-03-13, 07:44 PM   #3
GarterPython
Young and Wise

Guppy's they just have lots of babies and you can have some cool colours. They are easy to take care of too.
Old 01-03-13, 07:47 PM   #4
alessia55
Retired Moderator

Send a message via AIM to alessia55

oh..that's something I hadn't thought about... fish breeding. I would prefer if they didn't... if possible? Is that something I can prevent? I don't want to have to deal with suddenly having a crowded tank or having to rehome baby fish.

I only have a 10 gallon tank.
Old 01-03-13, 07:51 PM   #5
Corey209

Quote:
Originally Posted by alessia55 View Post
oh..that's something I hadn't thought about... fish breeding. I would prefer if they didn't... if possible? Is that something I can prevent? I don't want to have to deal with suddenly having a crowded tank or having to rehome baby fish.

I only have a 10 gallon tank.
You could scoop up the eggs and give them to a local fish place or just get all females/males. Others I'd recommend would be beta fish (not sure if you can house more then one together safely) and water frogs which are extremely easy to take care of. We kept them inside a small circle bowl without any filter or anything and never had any problems.

Xenopus Express Husbandry
Meet my Frogs : African Dwarf Frogs
Login to remove ads
Old 01-03-13, 07:54 PM   #6
Jendee

tropical community fish...barbs, tetras, Guppys unless u shop on line most fish stores carry one sex
Old 01-03-13, 07:54 PM   #7
cossiecraig

African Dwarf Frogs are nice to have ,but a 10 Gallon is i believe 12" high.....this may cause a little stress on them to swim for air.....( not sure but i know they stress ) ....rule of thumb is a gallon of water for each ,we have 4 and 2 our lovely Albino's ( smaller than normal ) ......i know you said fish but i thought i'd give you a option ,they very easy to keep aswell ,a tip would be that their food makes more waste than their own ,so water changes must be done

i've attatched this link for you to see if you wish okay

African Dwarf Frog Housing and Feeding
Old 01-03-13, 07:55 PM   #8
Gungirl
Diesel the pumpkin killer

I had 2 beta in a 10 gallon for a few years. They never bothered each other but I had it planted fairly thick. Although I have come to find this very rare..
Old 01-03-13, 07:59 PM   #9
Corey209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungirl View Post
I had 2 beta in a 10 gallon for a few years. They never bothered each other but I had it planted fairly thick. Although I have come to find this very rare..
Growing up I was always told to keep my beta fish away from eachother and they were in separate housing. I just found a source online saying that you can house females together but not males. Not sure if this is true though.
Old 01-03-13, 08:36 PM   #10
EmilyS

I love fish! Here's a great site, if you're interested: Aquarium Fish | Tropical Fish

Definitely don't try multiple bettas XD Multiple females can get along, but not in that small of a tank.

I find african dwarf frogs (I believe that's the kind of frog we're talking about) are hard to care for if you don't know what you're doing. They have poor eyesight and you have to spot-feed them; for this reason, it's best to keep them in species-only tanks as they can be out-competed for food.

In a 10 gallon, I'd try a small school of neon tetras or maybe harlequin rasboras, and maybe a gourami. You could also do a gourami, some pygmy or panda cories, and guppies- get all male if you don't want babies.

Edit: the one inch per gallon rule isn't an accurate tool for stocking.

You will need a filter and heater; I guess a light is optional, but I would get one. Make sure you know what the nitrogen cycle is
Login to remove ads
Old 01-03-13, 08:39 PM   #11
cossiecraig

EmilyS" are hard to care for if you don't know what you're doing"

hence me posting a link
Old 01-03-13, 08:44 PM   #12
EmilyS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cossiecraig View Post
EmilyS" are hard to care for if you don't know what you're doing"

hence me posting a link
Fish are a lot more work than people think they are! lol.

I love that site, there's such great people and information!
Old 01-03-13, 08:49 PM   #13
BryanB

tetras about 15 of them they school and are awsome
Old 01-03-13, 08:51 PM   #14
Corey209

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyS View Post
I love fish! Here's a great site, if you're interested: Aquarium Fish | Tropical Fish

Definitely don't try multiple bettas XD Multiple females can get along, but not in that small of a tank.

I find african dwarf frogs (I believe that's the kind of frog we're talking about) are hard to care for if you don't know what you're doing. They have poor eyesight and you have to spot-feed them; for this reason, it's best to keep them in species-only tanks as they can be out-competed for food.

In a 10 gallon, I'd try a small school of neon tetras or maybe harlequin rasboras, and maybe a gourami. You could also do a gourami, some pygmy or panda cories, and guppies- get all male if you don't want babies.

Edit: the one inch per gallon rule isn't an accurate tool for stocking.

You will need a filter and heater; I guess a light is optional, but I would get one. Make sure you know what the nitrogen cycle is
We kept african dwarf frogs for years without problems but it was a single species tank.
Old 01-03-13, 08:56 PM   #15
EmilyS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanB View Post
tetras about 15 of them they school and are awsome
Tetras will only school if they have to room to- I don't think a 10 gallon would be enough room for 15. Maybe 8, depending on what kind you get and what else is in the tank.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread