Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Morelia Spilota

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-17-16, 10:24 AM   #16
gebon

Re: How often to feed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha2 View Post
When I got Ozzy he was fat, the guy said he was his garbage disposal and I believe it.
He is still chunky but Ive had him out quite a bit for exercise. Next time I will get mediums and some chicks too but I dont have anything that eats large rats but him so he will have to make do for now.
I think one large rat (200-250gr) every 3-4 weeks will be fine. A fairly normal feeding schedule for a adult jungle (at least here in Sweden). If you also let him go without food a couple of months during next winter, he will probably be in good shape next spring
Old 03-17-16, 01:29 PM   #17
Sasha2

Thanks, I almost have his new viv built so he will have alot more room to move around.
Old 06-11-16, 11:22 AM   #18
shaunyboy
slainte mhath

i feed my adults guaged on their shape and condition,i keep my carpets lean and muscular,if they start to look fat i cut back that individuals feed,if they start to look too lean i up that individuals feeds

cheers shaun
Old 06-13-16, 06:25 AM   #19
John962

I feed my male adult bredli a large rat every 4 weeks, but he's nearly 4 years old, so pretty much full grown I think at about 7 feet long. I started him off weekly in his first year, then fortnightly in second year. Not sure if feeding smaller and more frequently in general is better? Carpets can take massive meals with ease and seems like they're evolved to do this.
Old 07-11-16, 06:55 PM   #20
DennisM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha2 View Post
He tends toward chunkiness so thats why I asked. I think mixing it up might be the best idea. I was just curious how often others feed their adults.
well, if he's chuncky, you probably shouldn't up the prey size.
Login to remove ads
Old 07-11-16, 07:02 PM   #21
DennisM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Roddy View Post
... In fact, most of my snakes commonly live to over 20 years old. Most keepers average about 10 to 12.

Cheers,
D
I like this. I feed less frequently than the commonly suggested schedule and have had numerous pythons live well into their very late teens and early twenties. Two of the first snakes I ever got were 2.0 ball pythons in 1993. I still have them both. these geriatrics now feed on average about 10 times a year. I offer more frequently but expect frequent refusals. Of course, they're BPs not carpets. I feed adult carpets about every 3 weeks.
Old 07-31-16, 03:45 PM   #22
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

I learn a lot from these kinds of threads. Feeding will always be a subjective, if not controversial, subject. I take all of the information I get from reading, listening to other keepers experiences, watching my snake's behavior, and trial and error to develop a system that works for me and my critters. I feed my young snakes pretty liberally and dial it back as they get older. I don't see me ever feeding my snakes once a month but I believe they'll be fine eating every 2-3 weeks as adults. I think that's the sweet spot for me. Let's compare notes in 20 years . Happy Herping!
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Old 07-31-16, 07:55 PM   #23
pet_snake_78

For all of my colubrid snakes, I feed smaller than they can take and very often. I feed the females very heavily and most species will lay multiple clutches. I usually offer 1-2 food items per feeding. For my boas, I do feed far less often and slightly larger meals.
Old 12-20-16, 02:02 PM   #24
Derek Roddy

It really depends on the species and how their individual presences are...for their to be a "benefit". An ambush predators feeding habits are going to be different than a species (like a BHP) who is out everyday searching and eating.

Access to food types in the bush vary more than our "consistent" meals as well.

Very easy to overfed a snake in captivity based on these variables.

D
Old 12-21-16, 12:51 PM   #25
NeverLift

My schedule, my 4 carpets are all very healthy.
Neonates up to adulthood(~3 year old) get fed weekly.
Adults get small rats(~60grams) every 2-4 weeks and occasionally medium rats(~120gram) for the ones over 6foot.
Rarely will they refuse a meal.
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread