border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Giant Python Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-15-16, 09:24 PM   #91
SerpentineDream

Re: SD Retic Pics

What kind of gloves do you use to protect your hands from bites?
0.1 Hog Island Boa, 0.1 Woma Python, 2.3 Ball Pythons, 1.1 Stimson's Pythons, 1.1 Western Hognoses, 4.6 Corns, 1.1 Mexican Milks, 2.2 Black Milks, 1.1 CA Kings, 1.1 CA Red-Sided Garters, 2.3 Trans-Pecos Rats, 2.2 Russian Rats, 1.0 Olive House Snake
Old 02-01-16, 08:10 AM   #92
SnoopySnake

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerpentineDream View Post
What kind of gloves do you use to protect your hands from bites?
I'm not really sure what they are, I'm using some of my dads work gloves. There's two pairs and both are actually fairly thin.
Old 02-01-16, 08:51 AM   #93
SnoopySnake

No gloves this last time I took him out After a little bit of work this guy is definitely one of my favorites, he's very inquisitive and always on the move. Not the kind of snake to sit and chill, but still fun to hold.

Pouting about the bedding change
Old 02-01-16, 02:13 PM   #94
dave himself

Red face Re: SD Retic Pics

Congratulations your patience and hardwork have payed off
Old 02-01-16, 02:21 PM   #95
SnoopySnake

Thanks Dave He's still a grump but we're getting there
Login to remove ads
Old 02-01-16, 02:35 PM   #96
AZretic

When I got the one I have now I used a leather glove twice I think. Still hooked trained and that was it. She's a beauty
Old 02-01-16, 02:38 PM   #97
SnoopySnake

What I was doing is tapping him with the hook, then immediately grabbing him out with my gloved hands, then would take my gloves off after he settles down. Today I tapped him and then grabbed him with my bare hands, he was a lot more jumpy today from the changes in his enclosure, though.
Old 02-03-16, 06:36 PM   #98
IW17

Yeah that's normal. I've got a few snakes that are totally calm with gloves but freak when touched by my bare hand. Most likely the difference in temperature. But I try to get them used to a bare hand because I personally think it's difficult to handle snakes with gloves on.
Old 02-04-16, 02:26 PM   #99
yeloowtang

always nice to read posts about other peoples retics
not sure this post is for tohers to share their pics too, but here's a few pics of when i got
this lates little boy from Bob Clark. He's a SD ultra anery.. he's prety good too, need to touch his head before reaching for him him but once out he's all over the place ready to explore..
my other one is a normal female SD she's just over 8ft long at almost 6 years old..
i've never had to use gloves at all, always have to be carefull but she's sweet as can be, never ever tried to strike.
a funny story but not so funny when it hapen one evening, my son was in charge of cleaning and making sure everyone was ok... welll later that night it was lights out and i was getting ready to feed a bunch of snakes, while sitting on the floor feedinmg a few babies with the other rats in the hot water/zip lock bags.. I look in front of me and there's my big female coming towards me smelling the rats :-o DOHHHHH well my heart stopped for a second as i had nooooo clue how she would react if i moved. thankfully my hook was next to me, i touched her, got up and opened the lights to get her back in her cage !!!!
ohhh i had a long talk with sonny boy the next morning
here's the little guy, the tub was just to get his weight, he's in a big tub until he gets a little bigger for his forever cage.. Bob thinks he will be Max 6 ish feet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20151028_123037 (2).jpg (23.5 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20151028_214806.jpg (23.2 KB, 66 views)
Old 02-08-16, 09:21 PM   #100
Arachnaeoccult

Thats a really stunning animal, those eyes are ambitious too!
Old 03-13-16, 11:11 PM   #101
SnoopySnake

Couple days overdue. Have had this guy for a year now and here's the difference in the day he got here and now When he got here he was only around 18" long and now he's right around 4'! Hard to believe he's that long from this pic.

Last edited by SnoopySnake; 03-13-16 at 11:21 PM..
Old 08-15-16, 09:26 PM   #102
SnoopySnake

No pics, just a little update. This guy has been getting MUCH better with handling, he is still very sketchy when coming out but usually I just take the chance and reach in and grab him because tapping him with the hook seems to aggravate him and give time for him to get defensive with me. Today he was cruising (looking for food) so I opened up the tub to get him out. He was up on his branch and started getting in his defensive posture, so I proceeded to put a glove on, then pull him into my gloved hand with the hook. At this point I didn't receive a bite, so I thought it was ok to switch to my other bare hand. That was mistake 2. At this point he bit my ungloved hand, and wrapped it. Tried the trick that everyone says...running them under the tap? He just pulled and squeezed harder. So I started unwrapping from the tail, once he let go he then bit my wrist on my OTHER HAND. So, that was indeed a very interesting and not so fun experience.

Mistake one-knowing he was hungry/having an off day and still making him come out. Bad idea.

Mistake two-not waiting longer for him to calm down before switching hands/removing gloves (which I generally don't use anymore)

Mistake three-not figuring out some way of breaking the food response sooner.

Mistake four-not being more cautious when he released the first time.

Entirely my fault...and going back to mistake one...could have been prevented by feeding him instead of forcing him to come out
Old 08-15-16, 09:31 PM   #103
bigsnakegirl785

lol What a goofy boy, at least he's small, a bite like that from an adult male retic could be pretty gnarly. Definitely feed him next time, I'm sure both of you would appreciate it. :P
Old 08-15-16, 09:42 PM   #104
SnoopySnake

I was actually really surprised he wrapped...he ate about 6 days ago....But yes definitely, that would have been a rough bite even if he was full grown. Shame on me
Old 08-16-16, 03:33 AM   #105
dave himself

We all make mistakes Snoopy well I know I do and like you said mate no real harm done. I'm just angry you didn't take pics of the little guy before you got bit
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread