border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Enclosure Creation Forums > General Enclosure Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-04-18, 11:42 PM   #1
Rgreenf

New Burmese python enclosure (need help)

I'm getting ready to build my first snake enclosure and I was thinking about using pine plywood. I'm going to use linoleum on the floor and sides I think then silicone all the corner and edges. Would pine in this situation be safe to use or no? Also what is everyone's opinion on osb? Thank you in advance.
Login to remove ads
Old 06-05-18, 02:21 AM   #2
ClockwerkBonnet

Re: New Burmese python enclosure (need help)

Hold up... how long IS that snake? Do you think it can fit in the enclosure? If so, keep in mind that Burmese pythons get huge and will eventually outgrow their cages.

Also, pine products can be dusty, so long-term exposure may cause lung issues in the snake. I'm not entirely sure what to say about the linoleum and silicone because I've never tried to build my own enclosure, unfortunately.
Old 06-05-18, 02:22 AM   #3
ClockwerkBonnet

Oh, and welcome to the forum, by the way. :-)
Old 06-05-18, 03:21 AM   #4
psychocircus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClockwerkBonnet View Post
Hold up... how long IS that snake? Do you think it can fit in the enclosure? If so, keep in mind that Burmese pythons get huge and will eventually outgrow their cages.

Also, pine products can be dusty, so long-term exposure may cause lung issues in the snake. I'm not entirely sure what to say about the linoleum and silicone because I've never tried to build my own enclosure, unfortunately.
I am sure he is building an enclosure to house an adult burmese. It is common practice for people to build enclosures for giant snakes that they won't outgrow.

To the OP: If treated and sealed properly, the pine would be safe. I think it is fresh pine, related to the sap, that has been shown to be toxic to some animals. Pine shavings are not fully treated, so it is thought they can be dangerous with prolonged exposure.
Old 06-05-18, 04:01 AM   #5
craigafrechette

Having used wood enclosures in the past, and still using one now, I say ditch the linoleum unless you seal the crap out of it. If any corners start to come up the snake can and will get to it and rip it up more, and the adhesives underneath can be a nightmare. Either way, seal the crap out of the entire inside of the enclosure. Humidity over time will warp it otherwise. You'll also need to reseal it every handful of years.
Login to remove ads
Old 06-05-18, 09:29 PM   #6
Rgreenf

Thanks everyone for the quick responses. In regards to using pine and not using linoleum, would it be safe to just do a couple coats of drylok and silicone the edges to help seal it? I did this with my tegu enclosure but the was entirely birch. Also the Burmese Python I am getting is about a year old from what I'm told and 4 ft long. I am building this as the final enclosure for her.
Old 06-05-18, 09:30 PM   #7
Rgreenf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClockwerkBonnet View Post
Oh, and welcome to the forum, by the way. :-)
Thank you for the advice and thank you for the warm welcome.
Old 06-05-18, 09:38 PM   #8
Rgreenf

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
Having used wood enclosures in the past, and still using one now, I say ditch the linoleum unless you seal the crap out of it. If any corners start to come up the snake can and will get to it and rip it up more, and the adhesives underneath can be a nightmare. Either way, seal the crap out of the entire inside of the enclosure. Humidity over time will warp it otherwise. You'll also need to reseal it every handful of years.
Yeah I built a large 2 story enclosure for my argentine black and white tegu in the same way. I have a 5 gallon bucket of drylok still about half full I could use. What would you recommend for sliding glass doors? I've been doing some research on them but still having a hard time finding the right length of track. Also what thickness of. Glass would you recommend?
I'm thinking about making the enclosure 10ft long by 3ft wide and 2ft high. I have a 160watt Radiant heat panel from reptile basic I'll be using to heat it and I'll be installing 5000k led lights to mimic day light and have it on a 10 hour cycle. Would that suffice you think?
Thanks again for the help.
Old 06-06-18, 06:48 PM   #9
Rgreenf

Does anyone know how thick I should make the glass? Also where can I find 10' long sliding glass door tracks. I've been looking for a couple days but I'm not finding anything near the length I need.
Old 06-12-18, 09:27 AM   #10
eminart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgreenf View Post
Does anyone know how thick I should make the glass? Also where can I find 10' long sliding glass door tracks. I've been looking for a couple days but I'm not finding anything near the length I need.
If you tell the glass shop the size glass you need, and how you're using it, they'll recommend the best thickness.

I bought my door tracks on amazon, but mine are only 6ft long.
“...the old ones ... knew in their bones... that death exists, that all life kills to eat, that all lives end, that energy goes on. They knew that humans are participants, not spectators.” -- Stephen Bodio, On the Edge of the Wild
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread