sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Python Forums > Morelia Spilota

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-06-17, 11:22 AM   #1
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Grrr, new carpet python not eating!!

I think it's time for some semi desperate measures. My new albino carpet python arrived on 1/11/17. I've tried feeding her f/t rat fuzzys 3x without success. The breeder says she was eating weekly without issue prior to me getting her. She was 117g when she arrived, and she shed on 2/4/17, so I know she was eating something. I guess my next move is to try scenting with a mouse and try putting her in a deli cup overnight with a f/t feeder. If that doesn't work I'll try a live feeder as a last resort. My temps are good so I'm not sure what the issue is. 92F hot spot with an 82F ambient. This is a first for me. I'm not worried yet but it's frustrating when a new snake doesn't eat for almost a month . Any other suggestions are welcome.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Login to remove ads
Old 02-06-17, 11:27 AM   #2
Jim Smith

Re: Grrr, new carpet python not eating!!

When I've had fussy eaters, I sometimes resort to taking a live prey animal and stunning it so that it lays there twitching right in front of the snake. With only one exception, this has always worked for me. It's worth a try, even if it's just to give you some peace of mind when you get her eating. Just a thought...
Old 02-06-17, 12:09 PM   #3
Andy_G
Forum Moderator

A month is nothing . Sounds like you're on the right path.
Old 02-06-17, 12:51 PM   #4
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Thanks Jim and Andy. I'll give it a couple more tries before offering a live feeder. My last feeding attempt was Saturday. Should I wait another week to try again or would it be ok to try the deli cup trick a little sooner?

@ Andy- I normally wouldn't sweat a month of not eating but because she's so young it is a bit concerning to me. She doesn't appear to have lost any weight and like I said she shed a few days ago so she's obviously growing at least a little. I guess I'll keep plugging away. If at first you don't succeed.
0.1 Albino Bull Snake (She-RA)~ 1.0 Snow Bull Snake (Apollo)~ 1.0 Coastal Carpet Python (Chomper)~ 1.0 JCP (Shredder)~ 1.0 Bredl Python (S'ven)~ 0.1 JJ x JCP (Trinity)~ 0.1 Albino Carpet Python (Akasha)~ 1.0 Olive Python (Nigel)~1.0 Scrub Python (Klauss)~ 1.0 BCI (Monty)~ 0.1 BCO (Xena)
Old 02-06-17, 01:21 PM   #5
Andy_G
Forum Moderator

I wouldn't go more often than every 5 days. Deli cup doesn't usually work with this species but stranger things have happened!
Login to remove ads
Old 02-06-17, 05:29 PM   #6
awwalz01

Ziggy, I remember when you made the post about getting your new carpet because it was the day before I got my new carpet.

Weirdly enough, my carpet hasn't eaten yet either. I have tried live prey and that hasn't worked. I am a little more concerned because my little guy came in at 58g and hasn't shed or pooped since I have had him he is now at 55g.
Old 02-06-17, 08:12 PM   #7
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

I hope your boy gets in gear too Walz! My girl was 117g on arrival and 103g today. Trust me, I'm not a happy camper right now but I'm still a firm believer that the hunger always wins in the end. If they're healthy animals we can only offer them food, it's up to them to eat or starve.
Old 02-06-17, 09:06 PM   #8
awwalz01

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL Ziggy View Post
I hope your boy gets in gear too Walz! My girl was 117g on arrival and 103g today. Trust me, I'm not a happy camper right now but I'm still a firm believer that the hunger always wins in the end. If they're healthy animals we can only offer them food, it's up to them to eat or starve.

That is how I feel as well. Good luck to you with your carpet man!
Old 02-07-17, 01:21 AM   #9
toddnbecka

One of my baby Dominicans, born last August, has only eaten 3 times. Last night was the first meal (f/t mouse pink scented with anole) that one has had in over a month now. Most of the others from both litters are taking unscented f/t mice pinks weekly, with a few still holding out for anoles. If that wee worm can hold out this long I don't think you have too many worries about your new carpet, lol.
7.6.26 Dominican red mountain boas, 1.1 carpet pythons, 3 ATB, 1.1 climacophora, 1.1 Russian rats, 1.1 prasina, 1.1 speckled kings, 3.3.1 corns, 1.1.1 black rats, 1.1 savu, 1.1 Stimson's, 1 spotted python, 1.1 Boiga nigriceps, 3 Olive house snakes, 1 Sonoran mountain king, 0.1 Sinoloan milk snake, 1.1 Dione rat snake.
Old 02-07-17, 09:23 AM   #10
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Thanks TnB. It's amazing how resilient they are especially at such a young age.
I know I shouldn't have but I took her out for a few minutes last night.
No more handling until she eats Ziggy!

Login to remove ads
Old 02-07-17, 02:43 PM   #11
awwalz01

Wow she definitely is a stunner!! That is something I am struggling with as well. I JUST WANNA HOLD MY CUTE LITTLE GUY. But I know it is best if I just wait until he is eating well to hold him. It stinks!
Old 02-08-17, 02:05 AM   #12
StrictlyMorelia

I would not be concerned. Leave her a couple of weeks without handling and try again. If you do go for scenting just add some fluff from a day old chick on the mouses nose. The weight loss is not an issue either as that amount could easily be done through passing urates or stool.

On a comparative side my diamond pythons only feed for about six months of the year and do not lose any condition. A carpet of your size not having fed for a few weeks is no concern. There is a good chance that is because it is in unfamiliar conditions and also not accustomed to being handled. Also it's good you are giving although being the same prey type may smell different due to differing qualities of available frozen rodents.
Old 02-08-17, 09:00 AM   #13
EL Ziggy
Forum Moderator

Thanks a mill Strict. I hadn't thought about scenting with a chick. I'll try that. Do your diamonds naturally go off feed or is that the feeding cycle you keep them on for breeding? I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of your Diamonds and Boelens. We don't see many of those around these parts.
Old 02-09-17, 04:34 AM   #14
StrictlyMorelia

I stop the diamonds feeding at the beginning of September prior to cooling.

The female will resume feeding for a month or two from January and then go off of food until laying. The male will only start feeding of his own choosing in mid to late April.

Re photos I am struggling to post on this site as it does not allow upload from device but prefers to use separate hosts such as photo bucket.
Old 02-09-17, 06:08 PM   #15
shaunyboy
slainte mhath

Cool Re: Grrr, new carpet python not eating!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrictlyMorelia View Post
I stop the diamonds feeding at the beginning of September prior to cooling.

The female will resume feeding for a month or two from January and then go off of food until laying. The male will only start feeding of his own choosing in mid to late April.

Re photos I am struggling to post on this site as it does not allow upload from device but prefers to use separate hosts such as photo bucket.
that you James

i've still got my 4 Diamonds cooling as we're due a bit of cold weather the next few weeks up here,the rest of the winter was pretty mild by our usual standards,so will start heating begining of march

the female i got from you is doing great

i've been off the snake forums,just lurking from time to time,it's good to see you around my friend

SSNAKESS members....

StrictltyMorelia was/is my carpet mentor,you have a Carpet keeper of the highest standard in this guy

hope all is well with you and yours mate

all the best,shaun

P.S.have you still got the crazy pattern Diamond you held back ?
if so post some pic's please
Closed Thread