border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > All Other Herp Forums > Aquatic forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-14-14, 08:24 PM   #1
Zelg

Help me decide on a habitat/pets

Ok, so I'm a little bored tonight but lately I've been kicking around the idea of a living terrerium with a few different animals and some live plants. I really have no idea what I'm doing so take it easy and I'm not rushing out to get anything just yet, it'll be a little while before I go ahead with this.

I feel like I would like to do a 55 gal. setup but am very open to other ideas. I've thought about just doing an aquarium (fresh or salt, doesnt make a difference though it looks like a saltwater setup requires a good bit of knowledge before hand so maybe salt isnt a good idea to start with).

I also like the idea of having a section of water for fish and or turtles and using the land for frogs or other amphibians. I've read that turtles can be problematic with frogs but not sure how much of a problem.

The other idea i've thought about is just doing a tall dart frog setup.

So I guess I'm just wondering if any of you have mutiple setups that fall into these categories and what you may find the easiest or maybe what you thought might be easy but turned out to be difficult and maybe even more high maintenance than you planned.

Again, just kicking around ideas so I'm interested in opinions, suggestions, cautionary tales lol. thanks.
Login to remove ads
Old 02-14-14, 08:26 PM   #2
drumcrush

Re: Help me decide on a habitat/pets

Turtles! I just like turtles soooo yeah lol
Old 02-14-14, 08:40 PM   #3
Zelg

lol. Ok, tell me about turtles. Are they good roommates so to speak? Can I house them with other animals w/o worry? Do they get stressed? Will they eat every fish?
Old 02-14-14, 09:21 PM   #4
psychocircus

Saltwater aquariums are a ton of fun and IMO actually easier than planted freshwater tanks. (opinions vary). They aren't cheap, but you can go slowly and once set up they are actually cheap to maintain.

You could start with just fish and later add coral which will keep you entertained for a long time.

That being said, I love planted terrariums/aquariums. If you did half land/half water with plants in both the water and on the land that would be pretty sick. Not sure about what animals though.
Old 02-14-14, 09:23 PM   #5
Pirarucu

Turtles will be problematic with just about anything else you put in with them, not just frogs.
Login to remove ads
Old 02-14-14, 09:45 PM   #6
Sharlynn93

A friend of mine had 2 turtles together and one cannibalized the other. Not sure if this is common, a freak accident, or a result of one being bigger than the other, but just thought I would mention it.

Whatever you condemn, you have done yourself. ~Georg Groddeck
Old 02-14-14, 09:50 PM   #7
Zelg

Very interesting. Sounds like turtles can be buttheads. Maybe they're best as a solo project.

Salt water sounds fun. I guess I hadnt really thought about it being such an extended project (not in a bad way). Would be fun to to add to it over time.
Old 02-14-14, 09:54 PM   #8
BIGT FROM F.B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelg View Post
lol. Ok, tell me about turtles. Are they good roommates so to speak? Can I house them with other animals w/o worry? Do they get stressed? Will they eat every fish?
I had 4 different species of turtles in my 210 a for a few years. They are fun to watch and yes, will eat what they can catch. Even if it doesn't fit in their mouth, they will gladly tear it to pieces and eat it. The only downside to having 4 turtles in one tank together, they are very messy. Have to stay on top of water changes and have a large filter system.
Old 02-14-14, 10:57 PM   #9
drumcrush

Quote:
I actually don't know much about turtles lol, I had one when I was like 12. I've actually been looking into getting another one. I've had my eye on a musk turtle which stays pretty small.

Back on topic. In one of my reptiles magazine, I skimmed past an article about mixing different reptiles together and what animals could live together. I didn't really read it, I might be able to dig it up later and find some info.
Old 02-14-14, 11:20 PM   #10
Zelg

I'm not necessarily a turtle kind of guy but every time I go to petco I always see their turtles and enjoy watching them swim around. They're odd little creatures. That said, they're definitely third in line as far as mixing goes. If I have a land/water setup I'll definitely want frogs and I'd really like some fish in the water. So if turtles are a problem then I might have to do without them and until I get a proper turtle only setup.

I guess I should start looking at what animals can live together peacefully and still have enough room to have their territory.
Login to remove ads
Old 02-15-14, 09:33 AM   #11
BIGT FROM F.B.

Here's where I bought most of mine. You may change your mind after seeing all of the different colors and patterns.

Tortoises and Turtles For Sale from The Turtle Source, Buy Premium Turtles and Tortoises,Tortoise and Turtle Breeder
Old 02-15-14, 03:22 PM   #12
psychocircus

Quote:
I'm not necessarily a turtle kind of guy but every time I go to petco I always see their turtles and enjoy watching them swim around. They're odd little creatures. That said, they're definitely third in line as far as mixing goes. If I have a land/water setup I'll definitely want frogs and I'd really like some fish in the water. So if turtles are a problem then I might have to do without them and until I get a proper turtle only setup.

I guess I should start looking at what animals can live together peacefully and still have enough room to have their territory.
a cool variety of dart frogs if you can mix species I dunno.
Old 02-15-14, 03:40 PM   #13
Zelg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGT FROM F.B. View Post
Here's where I bought most of mine. You may change your mind after seeing all of the different colors and patterns.

Tortoises and Turtles For Sale from The Turtle Source, Buy Premium Turtles and Tortoises,Tortoise and Turtle Breeder

Wow. I had no idea there were so many turtles out there lol. Definitely some food for thought. Thanks.
Old 02-15-14, 04:38 PM   #14
BIGT FROM F.B.

Holy S***!!!!! Look at this!!! ....and they're out of stock!!!!

World's First Albino Yellow Bellied Sliders for sale from The Turtle Source
Old 02-15-14, 04:46 PM   #15
drumcrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGT FROM F.B. View Post
Holy S***!!!!! Look at this!!! ....and they're out of stock!!!!

World's First Albino Yellow Bellied Sliders for sale from The Turtle Source
Maybe in a few years when every pet store has them, I will actually be able to afford one lol
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread