border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Enclosure Creation Forums > General Enclosure Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-03-20, 08:25 PM   #1
Zachyboy

Using wild isopods... Just how risky is it?

Ive been reading as much as I can about introducing wild isopods into a vivarium as a cleanup crew, and theres many a warning about accidentally introducing diseases, BUT, most of them are followed by "if your animal ingests them". now, i dont think my boas gonna be eating isopods ... so my question is, whats the true risk? Im a college student and while it seems silly, 2o bucks i save on CB isopods is 20 bucks i can spend on food...

Whatcha think?
Login to remove ads
Old 06-04-20, 10:04 AM   #2
Herpin' Man

Re: Using wild isopods... Just how risky is it?

I don't think anyone has truly studied the specific diseases and the risks thereof, to herps.
My gut feeling is that the risk isn't high, but I wouldn't rule it out.
However, not every isopod species is suitable for every application. I have quite a few isopod species, but the one I use the most is pruinosis. They love lizard poop.
If your vivarium houses mostly smaller herps, you would be better off with dwarf white, which you aren't going to find in the wild in the US.
What do you keep in your vivarium, and what wild isopods do you have access to?
Old 06-04-20, 05:07 PM   #3
Zachyboy

I have a BCI, a baby, in the viv im planning on introducing isopods too. I also want to eventually use them for a viv with green tree frogs in it, but Thats probably gonna be down the line.

I have absolutely no clue what species or subspecies these are, they're just what were in my yard. they are hard shelled.
Old 06-05-20, 09:27 AM   #4
Herpin' Man

I highly doubt that wild isopods could pass anything harmful to your snake- but I don't know that for sure. It's also quite likely that your native isopods aren't great poop eaters. For a boa, you're going to need great poop eaters, or you're going to be manually removing it. You'd probably be doing that anyway. I don't think isopods alone could do the job, unless you really had a ridiculous number of them.
So the question is, what is your reason for wanting isopods?
Old 06-05-20, 06:16 PM   #5
Zachyboy

Actually, i was hoping they would help get nutrients to the live plants i have set up. Im gonna try them, and if i still have to poopscoop, then i shall XD
Login to remove ads
Old 06-06-20, 07:36 AM   #6
MnGuy

There’s a Facebook group for bioactive reptile and amphibian setups (I think that’s almost the exact name) and many people there use field collected isopods and other clean up crews. Check it out.
Old 06-09-20, 03:42 PM   #7
David339

Wild isopods have caused zero problems with my dekay's brown snakes. Except maybe that I never see poop/urates so If I wanted to examine them I'll never find them. I have dwarf whites in with them also. If you make a tank for the dwarf whites you'll never have to buy any except the one time. They multiply quicker than the wild ones.
Old 06-09-20, 07:50 PM   #8
Zachyboy

Thanks guys!!
Closed Thread

Tags
bioactive, cleanup, isopod, risk, wild caught