border
sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum

Go Back   sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum > Community Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-21-19, 08:55 AM   #1
Nubs

20 long and 10!!!

Hi guys! I would like to go to the reptile expo in may and get a new reptile,but I'm having trouble deciding! Here are the requirments! I can get a 20L or a 10 for it,so it has to be able to live in one of those! It has to eat mostly insects or powder water diet because fresh food is to costly,but one meal of fresh a week would be fine. If it could eat mealworms that would be a plus,as I'm working on a colony! I would like to be able to handle it and have it get to know me,but if I can't that's ok. Size doesn't matter,and neither do care requirements! It would be cool if I could get a small group of them and start a breeding project,but that's optional. The lizard itself would have to cost under $100 dollars! Oh. Sigh. And NO snakes,my mom won't let me! I LOVE leos,and might get another,but I would kinda like something different! If I think of anything else I'll let ya know! Thanks!😁
Login to remove ads
Old 01-21-19, 05:00 PM   #2
trailblazer295

Re: 20 long and 10!!!

I don't know of any snakes or lizards that can live in a track that small. You'd need to have a larger cage.
Old 01-21-19, 05:20 PM   #3
Nubs

Are you sure? My single Leo is in a 20L and I've researched many other lizards and geckos that are fine in a 10 or 20L! I was just seeing what you guys recommend. Any other recommendations? Thanks!
Old 01-22-19, 07:18 AM   #4
craigafrechette

My two cents: find an animal ypur passionate about and get the appropriate enclosure. Don't get a pet just cause you have a $20 tank lying around.
Old 01-22-19, 08:14 AM   #5
Nubs

Oh! No,no,no! I don't HAVE the tank,I'm just looking into another reptile and that's all I can fit in my room at the moment!(I share a room with my little sister) I think I might get another Leo. Can anyone tell me the prices of the following morphs? How much are the really nice orange tangerines? How much are sunglows? Super snows? I would never get a pet just because I have a tank! I've also been looking into fire skinks,but I'm pretty sure they would be happier in a 40B... Just like a Leos happier in a 20L then a 10. I currently have two 20L and two 10s plus a critter keeper in my room plus my sister's hamster cage. All are comfortable homes for my pets! I wanted to get a 40B for my future guy,but it really WON'T fit in my room. I'm not irresponsible,and would never get a pet to fill a tank just because I have it. If anyone has any actual suggestions,then please tell me them!
Login to remove ads
Old 01-22-19, 12:32 PM   #6
Bandit

There are smaller lizards and geckos that could fit in a 20, but the issue is that they are more skittish and are not always tolerant of being handled. Would you be able to have an enclosure with the same footprint, but taller?
Old 01-22-19, 02:59 PM   #7
Nubs

Hmmm... I'm not sure. I think I'll just get another leopard gecko,I want to breed them eventually just not now because I don't have money for everything right now! I would kind of like a crested gecko,could I keep one in ten turned on its side while it's young? I dunno,I've been bitten terribly by the Leo bug,and I think it's so deeply infected it might never cure.. Ha ha ha!😂 I might get myself a pair of female Leos,and whatever I decide on I'll definitely post pics! And I might ask for name advice as well!!! So it's between more Leos or a crestie!!! Oh no.. My Leo just grinned at me.. I better end this post.. She's threatening me... No... She's demanding food... Oh no! LOL!!!😂😂 !!!
Old 01-22-19, 06:05 PM   #8
Nubs

I joined this forum after reading multiple threads and finding informative,helpful, answers and people. I sure didn't expect what I was going to get! Oh well...
Old 01-23-19, 06:13 AM   #9
herp nerd

If you don't want anything but a reptile I would say to get a bigger terrarium. You could house juvenile leopard geckos or small snake species for a little bit but then you would need to get a bigger tank. But you could keep A fire bellied toad in there at the minimum but its not recommended. But the African dwarf frog can tolerate a tank that size, but their aquatic. Good luck!
Old 01-23-19, 08:03 AM   #10
kudzu

A group of mourning geckos could live in a small tank, like the ones you're talking about. However, you won't be handling them and they come with their own challenges. Do a lot of research first.

The following disadvantages are what I know from other mourning gecko keepers. They aren't the kind of pet you take out and handle. I don't have any yet because of they are tiny and the tank has to be incredibly secure. They can & will squeeze through tiny spaces. They're almost all (maybe all?) female but since they're parthenogenic they'll be reproducing anyway. So if you don't want to expand the colony you'll need to either find & destroy the eggs or find new homes for the babies. Still I'm intrigued by them and keep thinking about giving them a try.
Login to remove ads
Old 01-23-19, 11:12 AM   #11
Nubs

Thanks for your helpful reply,kudzu! Yes,I've done extensive research on mourning geckos,viper geckos,crested geckos,leopard geckos(obviously!),and multiple none-geckos too! I do love mourning geckos,and it would be great to get babies all the time! Or maybe it wouldn't be! Ha ha!!! How long can a crested gecko live in a 10 gallon tank before it needs a larger one? Would I need to tip it on its side? This expo isn't for three months,and I only have $13 saved so far... Oh dear! What can I sell... So yeah,I have plenty of time to do extra research and save up enough for a comfortable tank and the gecker himself! I would have a 10 i could use temporarily for a baby cresty or Leo,but my hamsters split,so poo��! And I know exactly what you mean,I keep jumping back and forth on mournings too! LOL!
Old 01-23-19, 07:43 PM   #12
craigafrechette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubs View Post
Thanks for your helpful reply,kudzu! Yes,I've done extensive research on mourning geckos,viper geckos,crested geckos,leopard geckos(obviously!),and multiple none-geckos too! I do love mourning geckos,and it would be great to get babies all the time! Or maybe it wouldn't be! Ha ha!!! How long can a crested gecko live in a 10 gallon tank before it needs a larger one? Would I need to tip it on its side? This expo isn't for three months,and I only have $13 saved so far... Oh dear! What can I sell... So yeah,I have plenty of time to do extra research and save up enough for a comfortable tank and the gecker himself! I would have a 10 i could use temporarily for a baby cresty or Leo,but my hamsters split,so poo��! And I know exactly what you mean,I keep jumping back and forth on mournings too! LOL!
One important thing to consider as a responsible pet owner is emergency vet money. So if you only have $13 it's probably best to wait a while before adding a new animal to your care.
Accidents happen. Animals need vets. It's OUR responsibility to be able to give them the care they need in an emergency and a vet visit can cost you a couple hundred bucks out of nowhere. So unless you have a few hundred bucks squirreled away besides that $13 it's probably not fair to the animals to take them in.
Old 01-23-19, 09:30 PM   #13
Nubs

I have $13 to put toward buying the new guy right now. I make $15 a week starting in a few days,and I have an emergency fund in case lamps burn out or i need mite spray or something. My parents like my herps ok,especially my dad,and if anyone ever needed a vet and I didn't have quite enough,they would willingly drive me there and cover the extra cost. I would never get a pet if I didn't have money for it,so you don't have to worry! The only reason I only have $13 in my spend fund is because I just bought two hamsters and spent about $120 on them. I have plenty saved for emergencies and put half of everything I make in my emergency fund. I love my critters!😊
Old 01-24-19, 07:17 AM   #14
craigafrechette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubs View Post
I have $13 to put toward buying the new guy right now. I make $15 a week starting in a few days,and I have an emergency fund in case lamps burn out or i need mite spray or something. My parents like my herps ok,especially my dad,and if anyone ever needed a vet and I didn't have quite enough,they would willingly drive me there and cover the extra cost. I would never get a pet if I didn't have money for it,so you don't have to worry! The only reason I only have $13 in my spend fund is because I just bought two hamsters and spent about $120 on them. I have plenty saved for emergencies and put half of everything I make in my emergency fund. I love my critters!��
Awesome to hear!! Nice job!! Sounds like you're already acting more responsibly than many adults I see on forums (and meet in the real world, hahahaha).

I'm a snake guy, so won't be able to offer any species advice for your new pet, but I wish you the best! Good luck! I'll be excited to see what you choose.
Old 01-24-19, 08:31 AM   #15
Nubs

Thank you!!! It's between a Leo and a Crestie! I don't know why,I just love both species!
Login to remove ads
Closed Thread